Capitol Armory ad

Carrying a concealed firearm is not supposed to be comfortable It's supposed to be comforting-Clint Smith

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    So says commentary from US Concealed Carry Association video about "Why did you stop carrying a concealed weapon?"

The question was posted on REDDIT and created a lot of discussion there. As this video continues the viewer is asked if you have adopted a concealed carry lifestyle? Well, have you?

My CC lifestyle has developed over the decades with comforting changes in guns, belts, holsters, wardrobe, etc? The biggest change was being retired retired so I don't have to worry about being fired for carrying a gun on the job. Now it is very easy and comforting to carry just about anywhere. Still have problem when going to doctor's office. Hard to pack heat under the dressing gown. :facepalm: :roflfunny:
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• 431f1ed0-bc6a-432e-af84-136818e44d4e-large1x1_Gunconcealedcarry.jpg
      431f1ed0-bc6a-432e-af84-136818e44d4e-large1x1_Gunconcealedcarry.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 82

Deaf Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2022
    Texas
    While I respect Clint Smith a lot (he used to have Thunder Ranch here in Texas... now in Oregon and I bet he regrets that!!!), packing a 2-3 lb gun like a 1911, fully loaded, with a few spare mags is a drag after 4 hours.

Notice cops all around the world LOVE lighter weapons... they get heavy!

With that said if you wish to carry a .45 or .40.. Glock does make a few lighter ones but... they kick more.

Now with that being said I have CCW capable guns in 1911 (Kimber Classic Stainless 5 inch MK 1, that is no firing pin lock) that shoots like a rifle. I have H&K UPS Compact .40 S&W CCW capable with spare mags and holster. Even a S&W 625-2 3 inch .45 ACP revolver setup!!!

But they are HEAVY for all day carry. Maybe for church carry in winter but not 8 hour days.

Yes I have Sig P365 xl, Glock 43, 42, 26, etc... and I tend to pack the Sig XL very often as well as regular Sig P365... both in 9mm.

See the way I look at it is... the first rule of gunfighting is... have a gun! I can pack a P365 all day, every day.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I carry a 1911 CCO. The weight does not bother me, but I have a good steel insert belt, good holster and wear the belt cinched tight. But I typically do not carry more than eight hours a day. Perhaps it is different if carrying for longer days.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    meh

Open carry and all that goes away.
    Now that winter is setting in, I have started open carrying again.
    My sweatshirt/jacket covers the grip fairly well too. The comfort level is better, but only slightly.

I use Alien Gear IWB, and I don't have any complaints.
    Not sure why there are so many saying that conceal carrying is so uncomfortable, there are so many "comfortable" holsters to choose from.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    "Carrying a concealed firearm is not supposed to be comfortable It's supposed to be comforting"

In other words "I'm not interested in trying to find a holster that fits comfortably and does its job right, so I'm going to tell you you're not supposed to either". Sorry, but I've seen and heard this line for years and either it's bullshit or I'm carrying wrong, because I carry comfortably IWB when I choose to carry that way. You just have to put a little thought into how and where (as in where on your belt) you intend to carry, and find what works right for you. I'm lucky - I don't have a drawer full of holsters I don't use, either. I thought it out, figured out what I would need, and bought holsters that fit what I was looking for.

There is no reason to put up with discomfort or pain and pretend everything is normal. That's a major reason people stop carrying, or stop carrying every day. This phrase is right up there with "pain is just weakness leaving your body". No it's not, pain is your body notifying you something is wrong. In this case, something is wrong with your carry method.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Now that winter is setting in, I have started open carrying again.
    My sweatshirt/jacket covers the grip fairly well too. The comfort level is better, but only slightly.

I use Alien Gear IWB, and I don't have any complaints.
    Not sure why there are so many saying that conceal carrying is so uncomfortable, there are so many "comfortable" holsters to choose from.

Alien Gear and Crossbreed for me, depending on the pistol I choose to carry. Comfortable fit, and I can tuck a shirt in over it if I want.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Couldn't have started this topic any better with this, ."..American Journal of Public Health study...aimed at measuring trends in loaded handgun carrying among adult handgun owners in the United States...The number of US handgun owners carrying nearly doubled between 2015 and 2019."

The Bearing Arms blog continues The study authors continue, “at a time when, as our study indicates, trends in handgun carrying already point to more US adults carrying loaded handguns in public places.”

Attachments

• download (5).jpg
      download (5).jpg
      7.1 KB · Views: 59

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I attended Thunder Ranch a few times when it was in Texas. Clint Smith would say this at some point in just about all the pistol classes. It was usually said in response to somebody complaining about their gun being uncomfortable. I think it was just his way of shutting down a complainer, but otherwise I always thought his quoted response was unhelpful. Concealed carry isn't supposed to be anything but concealed carry. If it is comforting, that is a bonus. If it isn't comfortable, then you haven't made proper carry choices (gun size and type, holster type, carry position, belt, clothing, etc.). That goes for open carry as well.

Chances are that if you have gone through a myriad of holsters and such, you are doing it to be more comfortable and not more comforting.

If you are like me, then you have found what works for you and you might not give it a second thought as to being comfortable or not because you just don't notice it (which is perfect). What you will notice, however, is a gun/carry rig that is poking you, rubbing you raw, sticking/pulling your skin, bouncing against a bone, scratching or pinching you. There is no reason any of these things should be happening.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Carrying any kind of way is a PITA for me and I doubt that will ever change. I’ve considered and tried most all the lady ways to carry and they all suck. Carrying OWB on a gun belt as I now do means that the flare of my curves/ hips will the jam the hilt of the gun deep up into the crease of my natural waist where I can’t easily draw it. So that sucks.

But I still carry anyways (sometimes, when the clothes I wear actually have belt loops to accommodate the belt).

Sorry for bitching but i always need to vent about this one.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I don't think Clint actually means that your carry should be uncomfortable - but a little discomfort shouldn't be a deal breaker if your option is going unarmed, or being a bit uncomfortable.

Keep in mind that when he started saying that, the options for concealable duty-caliber firearms were pretty slim - revolvers, 1911's, and a handful of other autos were pretty much it. If you expanded it to include 380s you had more options - like the Beretta Cheetahs, Makarovs, etc.

It took a while for Clint to come around on Glock pistols too - he owns a bunch but doesn't / didn't carry them much. He's a 1911 proponent of the old guard and arguably far more "manly" than many millennials / gen z's coming up today - from a time when discomfort and burden were seen as character building.

We are extremely blessed by today's firearm options. You can have ultra compact double stack pistols that are 10+1 rounds or more that damn near fit in the palm of your hand, in a minimum 9mm caliber. You can have an 18 shot pistol smaller than a Glock 19 that can mount optics or lights if you want, or ultra slim single stack 9mm's or .45's that are light weight.

Not only are guns better and more prevalent - but so are holsters. When Clint was a cop and early on in his training career - leather was your only GOOD option for a holster - duty or concealment - yeah, Kydex has been around since the 70's - but kydex holsters were far from the norm until the early 2000's and didn't really catch fire until Raven Concealment hit the scene. There were others, of course - Side Armor, Fist, etc but Raven set the bar for modern kydex holsters - and their pancake design is one of the most copied out there. Damn near every kydex bender makes a version of their holster.

Then you have Phlster's Enigma - which is superior to belly bands, Thunderwear, or prior attempts at "beltless" holsters.

Sometimes you shouldn't look at words literally - and dig deeper. Has anyone *asked* Clint to clarify, on the record, if he actually means carry should be uncomfortable?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    So says commentary from US Concealed Carry Association video about "Why did you stop carrying a concealed weapon?"

The question was posted on REDDIT and created a lot of discussion there. As this video continues the viewer is asked if you have adopted a concealed carry lifestyle? Well, have you?

My CC lifestyle has developed over the decades with comforting changes in guns, belts, holsters, wardrobe, etc? The biggest change was being retired retired so I don't have to worry about being fired for carrying a gun on the job. Now it is very easy and comforting to carry just about anywhere. Still have problem when going to doctor's office. Hard to pack heat under the dressing gown. :facepalm: :roflfunny:
    Place your weapon in a “safari vest” or your jacket. The Doctor is not going to search clothing or purses. Personally, I just take it off in front of the Doc. If they don;t like that, there are other Doc’s.

Also, if you don’t want anyone to know, keep it concealed and do not reply to any questions from Doc or his staff re firearms during questioning.

Your weapons are NONE of your Physician’s business.

leVieux, MD

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've been making holsters for about 10 years now, and carry daily. I'm quite comfortable with mine, worn IWB. The most important thing I'vve found over the years is that everyone is different. What is a comfortable, workable design for one person is a miserable, uncomfortable, painful POS for someone else.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom