ARJ Defense ad

Car/SUV battery, what to buy . . what to avoid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davek42

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2021
    san antonio
    2013 Highlander I bought used with 3.5L V6. I've put @75K miles on it and never a problem, even during February 2021's snowmagedon until today when I ran the radio for 1.5hrs and she wouldn't start.

The battery is taking a charge and the Camroid started after just a few minutes charge at 50amps but it's time for a new battery, what do you recommend?
    INTERSTATE I buy mine a Costcos. Full 3 year warnanty
    Military Camp

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    How does costco's return guarantee actually work ? Do you bring in the car or the battery?

As of last year (things change) Costco does *not* test their batteries for warranty. They simply exchange them during the warranty period. I was told they had too many accidents when charging batteries to test. When they were selling Kirkland labelled batteries, they tested every warranty brought to them. Call 'em and see what their current practice is to be sure. That lack of testing also seemed to have coincided with them dropping any pro-rata extended warranty period. You get a 3 year free replacement and that's it. Go one day over the three years from sale point and you pay full price.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    I buy the interstate batteries from Costco. They only last 2.5-2.75 years. But Costco replaces them without question when I carry them in. So they are shitty batteries, but easy to return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I buy the interstate batteries from Costco. They only last 2.5-2.75 years. But Costco replaces them without question when I carry them in. So they are shitty batteries, but easy to return.
    My Costco Interstate is 38 months old. Dealer did work on my truck and said it’s getting weak, but I think that was due to me cranking on it during a no start issue, and it had been sitting for maybe a week or so prior to that. Dad’s Costco Interstate is going on 4 years, though he drives his truck daily whereas mine sits for a week or more at a time.

My previous battery was a Motorcraft. It lasted 2 weeks past the 3 year warranty period

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

I’ve never known anyone to rate battery life out to 3 significant digits LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    My Costco Interstate is 38 months old. Dealer did work on my truck and said it’s getting weak, but I think that was due to me cranking on it during a no start issue, and it had been sitting for maybe a week or so prior to that. Dad’s Costco Interstate is going on 4 years, though he drives his truck daily whereas mine sits for a week or more at a time.

My previous battery was a Motorcraft. It lasted 2 weeks past the 3 year warranty period

I have a lot of vehicles. Probably 10 Costco interstate batteries in the fleet right now. 2.5-2.75 years is my personal average.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I've been waffling between the full monty and Cliff notes version of my battery purchase . . Cliff notes it is. ;)

Last Friday I bought the Walmart EverStart Maxx 24F online and picked it up in person; a 3yr battery for $105 +tax & "$15 Misc fee" . Mfg. date sticker is 12/21.

I couldn't recall CCA so I just now looked online and it shows 750. That didn't sound right so I popped the hood and mine is marked 725. Miraculously, within roughly 30 days, the CCA jumped up 25 but now the battery is listed for $129 +tax online.

And don't get me started on resolving what the $15 Misc. fee was for between in store staff and the 800-CS number they told me I had to call; what a fuster cluck that was! :banghead:

BillDFW12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2021
    DFW
    I worked for Exide Batteries years ago. The average lifespan for a battery/industry wide at that time was 36 months.
    Warranty programs are written to benefit the Battery Company.. Not the buyer. So I'm not a proponent of buying max warranty batteries.
    At that time we got pallets full of batteries with No Stickers on them at all.. While we did carry some super/whiz bang/ batteries with different/slightly better construction... the majority of the batteries were all the same- off the bulk pallet... Just dressed with different decals.. and therefore different warranty packages.
    When an employee needed a battery.. they normally bought our "No Sticker" offering. It was a battery from our bulk pallet that could receive up to a 48 month warranty with the proper decal. But which we would sell with very limited liability in No Sticker livery at a significantly reduced cost. The No Sticker battery had a 30 day warranty .. Which covered the most likely time period a defective battery would exhibit it's problems.
    Exide no longer has the No Sticker program.. Which was only available at Exide Locations anyways. Buy the most inexpensive battery you can and expect 36 months of use.. Keep the post clean and cells/watered and consider anything over 36 months.. A Bonus.. I've seen some last 6 or 7 years.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I've been waffling between the full monty and Cliff notes version of my battery purchase . . Cliff notes it is. ;)

Last Friday I bought the Walmart EverStart Maxx 24F online and picked it up in person; a 3yr battery for $105 +tax & "$15 Misc fee" . Mfg. date sticker is 12/21.

I couldn't recall CCA so I just now looked online and it shows 750. That didn't sound right so I popped the hood and mine is marked 725. Miraculously, within roughly 30 days, the CCA jumped up 25 but now the battery is listed for $129 +tax online.

And don't get me started on resolving what the $15 Misc. fee was for between in store staff and the 800-CS number they told me I had to call; what a fuster cluck that was! :banghead:
    Is it a core charge ? did you return your old battery.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Is it a core charge ? did you return your old battery.
    Those last five 29DC's I bought, without core, had a $12 core charge and, I think, a $3.50 Texas battery disposal fee.
    Sorry Roper, kept forgetting to reply, CRS & whatnot. :facepalm:

In store staff of 3 including at least an Asst. Mgr. if not a Mgr., after much discussion amongst themselves, concluded the $15 Misc. was a $12 core and a $3 state fee (not defined).

800-CS lady told me the $15 Misc. was a "product C code", I told her that meant NOTHING to me and the $15 isn't shown online until the checkout process. I further explained C may well mean a core deposit which she knew nothing about, so I had to educate her.

800-CS lady wanted to confirm I left the old battery but when I put my phone on speaker in front of the above mentioned store staff, suddenly they were mutes. :mad: WM online has since sent an email stating I'd get a refund of $16.23 which of course is core + tax. It's not my problem a mega conglomerate gives away money.

Reactions: gll
    Top Bottom