• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    My wife has started becoming more gunny.

Our last range session she started to see the light in spite of my suggestions for years to get something beefier than a single stack pocket 9.

She also actually started listening to me on how to actually shoot an RDS equipped pistol.

She did really damn well.

So she decided to sell her 43X (as some probably saw the ad on here) and get a Canik TP9SC - she's still stuck on subcompacts, but at least she's gone to a double stack subcompact - she's got a good deal of trigger time on a Glock 26 and she shoots those a lot better than most single stack guns.

That little Canik is quite ergonomic, and quite a bargain for what it is.

Gun comes with high visibility tritium front sight with a high-viz ring around the tritium, black serrated rear sight. Optic ready - and my Holosun EPS (which I wanted to sell to fund a 509 ACSS...) is now *her* Holosun EPS, and it bolted right on, as the gun comes equipped to mount a Shield RMS / Holosun 507K sight from the gate. I had to cut two nubs off the included optic plate that would be recoil lugs (I laugh, because its a polymer plate) for one of those sights. Still has front recoil lugs, and beefy screws included for mounting the optic.

Trigger is VERY good, lighter than I expected. Honestly it felt as good, maybe a tad better, than a Walther PDP trigger.

Takedown is interesting, Glockish with a twist.

Surprisingly the version she got came with two 15 round extended mags (vs 12 round flush fit) - and she picked up a third 15 rounder. To me, this leads to an uncomfortable situation where the backstrap abruptly ends 2/3 down the grip, but she loves it. Her gun, so my comfort is unimportant. So long as she likes it, that's all that matters.

She got the "Cyber Blue" version so it has an interesting black / blue swirly cerakote job. Not my thing, but she likes it.

Taking it to the range this weekend to break it in and see how it shoots. Given the ergonomics, the trigger, the optic, the balance - I have a feeling this will be quite a good shooter. I don't think she'll be ready to get rid of her Shield, but I don't think the Shield will be her go-to once she gets a couple hundred rounds down range with this one. Will have to get pix of it soon.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I hate the current Turkish .gov, but the Canik TP series of pistols are literally some of the best 9mm on the market today.

Support for Turkey has been something that held me back from trying them before - I mean, they at least started off as a clone of the Walther P99 in a more affordable package - what was not to love about that? They still have that Walther P99 look about them, with more Glock influence these days, but more Gucci Glock, than bone stock vanilla Glock.

They also make a very close copy of the CZ-75 that I've got to try before and found them to be as high quality as the CZ's of the time, and they were sub $300 guns back then (and I'm talking 10 years ago, not 20+) - I don't know if they're even still making or importing them these days, but they were top notch guns.

But this is the wife's call - I didn't have any influence on her choice of gun. A friend of hers has one of the MC9 microcompact versions. My influence stopped at "hey, you really shoot double stacks better, maybe consider getting a bigger gun."

When the wifey wants to go to a gunshop, I'm not saying no. She was on a mission to see the Canik, and while I tried half-heartedly to get her to go for the basic bitch black gun ($60 cheaper) it was her money she was spending, and she had her heart set on the Cyber Blue gun.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Support for Turkey has been something that held me back from trying them before - I mean, they at least started off as a clone of the Walther P99 in a more affordable package - what was not to love about that? They still have that Walther P99 look about them, with more Glock influence these days, but more Gucci Glock, than bone stock vanilla Glock.

They also make a very close copy of the CZ-75 that I've got to try before and found them to be as high quality as the CZ's of the time, and they were sub $300 guns back then (and I'm talking 10 years ago, not 20+) - I don't know if they're even still making or importing them these days, but they were top notch guns.

But this is the wife's call - I didn't have any influence on her choice of gun. A friend of hers has one of the MC9 microcompact versions. My influence stopped at "hey, you really shoot double stacks better, maybe consider getting a bigger gun."

When the wifey wants to go to a gunshop, I'm not saying no. She was on a mission to see the Canik, and while I tried half-heartedly to get her to go for the basic bitch black gun ($60 cheaper) it was her money she was spending, and she had her heart set on the Cyber Blue gun.
    Let them have their way, since they're going to anyway.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Cory has a Canik and really likes it -

But I'm thrilled that your wife found her gun. Over this last year, I 'tried on' and shot several different ones, including a Shield, Walther, his Canik... but it wasn't until I first held the Equalizer that I knew I was home...and it's my gun and all I shoot these days. :)

Is it like that for you guys? Do you ever pick something up and just know, even before shooting it, that it's your gun?

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine

But I'm thrilled that your wife found her gun. Over this last year, I 'tried on' and shot several different ones, including a Shield, Walther, his Canik... but it wasn't until I first held the Equalizer that I knew I was home...and it's my gun and all I shoot these days. :)

Is it like that for you guys? Do you ever pick something up and just know, even before shooting it, that it's your gun?

Yeah, that kinda is how I roll.

Love at first feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    :)

Most guns I buy start out feeling that way - except for Glocks or large frame guns. My wife has smallish hands and doesn't typically like any large frame double stacks, even if she shoots them well. Weird.

I don't have huge hands, big palms with short fingers, but our hand size is different enough that what's comfortable to me, usually won't make her eyes light up.

She's picked out a few guns before that were...less than great...after getting them to the range for the first time. Her first gun she picked out for herself was a Kahr P45 0 felt great, concealed really well, but bucked like a rodeo bull when you touched off a round. Not fun to shoot for either of us.

Then she got a Beretta Nano - better than the Kahr, but still sucky to shoot - mostly due to the horrible trigger and stubby grip.

Her 3rd gun was the M&P Shield which has been her favorite for a long time. She shoots other guns better but likes how the Shields fit her hands. Her first Shield was the gen 1, with a safety. She now has a 2.0 sans safety lever.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks

Her 3rd gun was the M&P Shield which has been her favorite for a long time. She shoots other guns better but likes how the Shields fit her hands. Her first Shield was the gen 1, with a safety. She now has a 2.0 sans safety lever.
    Exactly. For me, it's like the Equalizer was custom built to fit my hand...and with that, what's not to love :)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

It’s the shooting fir me usually. Only time I reject a gun before shooting is when it’s too big or too small.

My girlfriend has an Sig 938, and I shot it once. Just too small.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    My wife has started becoming more gunny.

Our last range session she started to see the light in spite of my suggestions for years to get something beefier than a single stack pocket 9.

She also actually started listening to me on how to actually shoot an RDS equipped pistol.

She did really damn well.

So she decided to sell her 43X (as some probably saw the ad on here) and get a Canik TP9SC - she's still stuck on subcompacts, but at least she's gone to a double stack subcompact - she's got a good deal of trigger time on a Glock 26 and she shoots those a lot better than most single stack guns.

That little Canik is quite ergonomic, and quite a bargain for what it is.

Gun comes with high visibility tritium front sight with a high-viz ring around the tritium, black serrated rear sight. Optic ready - and my Holosun EPS (which I wanted to sell to fund a 509 ACSS...) is now *her* Holosun EPS, and it bolted right on, as the gun comes equipped to mount a Shield RMS / Holosun 507K sight from the gate. I had to cut two nubs off the included optic plate that would be recoil lugs (I laugh, because its a polymer plate) for one of those sights. Still has front recoil lugs, and beefy screws included for mounting the optic.

Trigger is VERY good, lighter than I expected. Honestly it felt as good, maybe a tad better, than a Walther PDP trigger.

Takedown is interesting, Glockish with a twist.

Surprisingly the version she got came with two 15 round extended mags (vs 12 round flush fit) - and she picked up a third 15 rounder. To me, this leads to an uncomfortable situation where the backstrap abruptly ends 2/3 down the grip, but she loves it. Her gun, so my comfort is unimportant. So long as she likes it, that's all that matters.

She got the "Cyber Blue" version so it has an interesting black / blue swirly cerakote job. Not my thing, but she likes it.

Taking it to the range this weekend to break it in and see how it shoots. Given the ergonomics, the trigger, the optic, the balance - I have a feeling this will be quite a good shooter. I don't think she'll be ready to get rid of her Shield, but I don't think the Shield will be her go-to once she gets a couple hundred rounds down range with this one. Will have to get pix of it soon.
    Seams to be lacking a range report. How did your wife like it? I shot one this past weekend. Hard pass for me. That has been the only Canik I have shot an it didn't go well. Trigger locked up due to placement of finger on trigger. I will stay with my da/sa. Never had that issue. Hope it went well for your wife.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Seams to be lacking a range report. How did your wife like it? I shot one this past weekend. Hard pass for me. That has been the only Canik I have shot an it didn't go well. Trigger locked up due to placement of finger on trigger. I will stay with my da/sa. Never had that issue. Hope it went well for your wife.

Aye, we did get it to the range a couple weeks back. So far between her and I, we only have 150 rounds down the pipe through it so I was holding off until it hit about the 500ish, but initial impressions:

FAR easier for her to shoot than the Glock 43X.

The gun still is a tad snappy, but that's physics. She picked the subcompact, and even with the extended 15 round mag with the grip sleeve, it still suffers from short-barrel syndrome and the mag moves a tad versus a longer grip. Its less flippy though than a 43X or similar micro compact

The trigger is very good - almost as good as a Walther trigger, though not quite as crisp. It is about 35-40% lighter than a Glock stock trigger - about 4lb pull - which lead to her doing a few surprise double taps.

Since I was still trying to get her to adjust how she grips a pistol, her group sizes varied mag to mag on this one. She had some groups that were hand size, some that were quite a lot larger. She had a tendency to push her shots left, and she was consistently stringing her shots vertically with it as well.

In my hands, I found it groups reasonably well for how I can shoot subcompacts. I only put about 30-40 rounds through it between getting her red dot dialed in and getting a feel for it.

We need to get back over to the range this week and run some more through it.

We did not experience any malfunctions in that first 150 rounds.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Has she tried the compact (Glock 19 size) version? She may appreciate the longer barrel, more grip, & less flip....

Been trying to steer her into a G19 size gun, because she likes my G19, but she says she likes subcompacts more. We've had the "bigger guns shoot better" discussion, she's SEEN bigger guns shoot way better for her (my G19 and esp my 34) so its not as if she doesn't see the results, but she's more about hand-feel and weight, than shooting performance.

She doesn't even carry hardly ever, but she wants a concealable gun for if she decides she will carry. When she HAS had her gun with her in public - its been in a holster, in her purse. She has four or five "concealed carry" purses with a gun pocket. Since we've moved to Texas, I know of about four times she actually carried, 3 of which I urged her to as she was with me when either meeting to buy or sell a gun private party (Texas Gun Trader transactions)

I've warmed her up to the idea of throwing a TLR-7A on her gun, moreso to act as a barrel weight and help tame some of the muzzle flip, but also to have the ability for two hands on the gun at night.

A couple months back when I was still working some overnight shifts at the hospital, there was weirdness going on outside on our property, she said she saw flashlights moving through our field, the dogs went nuts. She grabbed her gun and a flashlight. While I applauded her mama bear instincts, she's never trained in one hand shooting holding a light, and I mentioned to her she might not wanna go check stuff out, even standing on the porch. Alls well that ended well, as she said when she stepped outside onto the porch, the flashlights seemed to run back across the field and off the property.

I'm really trying to get her to break her old grip in favor of something that allows for more control though - she grips the gun a bit too low (leaving 1/4 inch between the meat of her hand and the top of the tang) and she curls her thumbs in. Been slowly working her into a thumbs-forward, higher grip. She's shot a lot better when she does it, but as soon as she sets the gun down, or reloads and has to rebuild her grip (another thing I hate about subcompacts that rely on pinky extensions, and why I don't run subcompact guns) she reverts to the funky grip.

At some point I need to bite the bullet and hire one of the range instructors for an hour for her, she'd get the same basic info, but would absorb it better from someone else. Wives don't listen to husbands for beans.

Top Bottom