• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The kid had a similar incident last year while playing soccer and one other violent incident reportedly from what I've read......so...he has a history of violent behavior it seems....

Violence on refs for bad calls?...Who decides what is a bad call? Some punk thug kid? Some thug parent?

I don't thinks so.................
    Guns International

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Right or wrong, I'm staying on the sidelines any further on this situation.

However, the overtaking of educational institutions by extracurricular activities (sports) has been a burr under my saddle for a real long time.
    Tax dollars don't belong in stadiums. At any level.
    The school aged children need a balanced education, a nutritious lunch, a reasonable amount of discipline, and safe transportation to and from. That's where the involuntary payments from the local community should stop. Lawfully.
    Fund raisers and booster clubs can encourage and pamper the physically gifted, or challenged as it may be. I could see this unfolding back in junior high. Bigger, faster, stronger guys with low IQ were given special treatment.
    This world needs strong backs and weak minds. Not in positions of power. I don't blame the players. I blame the game and those that profit from it.
    Pee wee games are great entertainment. And they aren't funded by my tax dollars. When a facility I helped pay for charges me admission fees, that's just wrong.
    These football stadiums are a disgrace and a waste of tax dollars. The basketball gymnasiums are just as bad. Less than one percent of these kids will be professional athletes, but a big chunk of the district budget supports the program.

Teach the children the whole truth. Encourage their strengths.
    Schools are for teaching the fundamentals of life and adulthood. Reading, writing and arithmetic.
    The rest is up to the individual.

I learned all I needed to be where I am today by the 5th grade. The rest came from family and social interaction outside the educational institutions.
    If I wanted to know it, I had the tools to learn it by then. If it didn't interest me, I did just enough schoolwork to make a passing grade till the "diploma" (worthless piece of paper with an overblown ceremony) was in my hands.
    The rest has been dictated by my own interests and a few mentors through some decades.

TL;DR
    Sports shouldn't be supported by involuntary funding.
    IE, taxation.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Never? Under absolutely no circumstances? Couldn't possibly be even remotely possible?

How closed minded you are. There are unlimited scenarios and you are eliminating every single one without any more information.

But it's not just a game. Lives are changed by the outcome.

It may be just a game to you but if my kids are getting screwed over it's a little more personal than that. That applies on the field and off.

And again, I'm not saying what he did is right but we don't know the whole story.

And herein lies the problem. It is just a game. Which some folks have blown way out of proportion.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

However, the overtaking of educational institutions by extracurricular activities (sports) has been a burr under my saddle for a real long time.
    The school aged children need a balanced education, a nutritious lunch, a reasonable amount of discipline, and safe transportation to and from. That's where the involuntary payments from the local community should stop. Lawfully.
    Fund raisers and booster clubs can encourage and pamper the physically gifted, or challenged as it may be. I could see this unfolding back in junior high. Bigger, faster, stronger guys with low IQ were given special treatment.
    This world needs strong backs and weak minds. Not in positions of power. I don't blame the players. I blame the game and those that profit from it.
    Pee wee games are great entertainment. And they aren't funded by my tax dollars. When a facility I helped pay for charges me admission fees, that's just wrong.
    These football stadiums are a disgrace and a waste of tax dollars. The basketball gymnasiums are just as bad. Less than one percent of these kids will be professional athletes, but a big chunk of the district budget supports the program.

Schools are for teaching the fundamentals of life and adulthood. Reading, writing and arithmetic.

I learned all I needed to be where I am today by the 5th grade. The rest came from family and social interaction outside the educational institutions.
    If I wanted to know it, I had the tools to learn it by then. If it didn't interest me, I did just enough schoolwork to make a passing grade till the "diploma" (worthless piece of paper with an overblown ceremony) was in my hands.
    The rest has been dictated by my own interests and a few mentors through some decades.

TL;DR
    IE, taxation.

Excellent post Vaquero! Pretty much mirrors my thoughts on this, and my life as well.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen

TL;DR
    IE, taxation.
    You put it better than I can.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    What I want to know or see is the call and play that got him ejected and the previous calls in the game.

Short of an official physically assaulting a player, there is no justification for an official to be assaulted.

Having played and watched my kids play there are definitely some refs that need to be knocked down and kicked after.

And that is the type of mentality that lets this continue to happen.

I've never been physically assaulted officiating a game but I've had fans try to several times. It took them being restrained by the police or school officials. Their reasons for wanting to do so were because I made a calls they did not like but were correct according to the rules. Their ignorance of the rules and bias toward their team lead them to believe I should be physically assaulted.

I'm not talking about one bad call, I am talking about a history of favoritism and referee condoned/ ignored cheating. If you have ever watched your kids play a game you know exactly what I am talking about.

Fans like to say they're being cheated but that almost never actually happens in the modern era, especially in a varsity football playoff game. The officials working those games are not schlubs pulled off the street with no training.

Almost always when fans think they're being cheated it's because they don't know the rules and philosophies, and mechanics of officiating a game. Or a call was legitimately missed. We are still human after all.

Parents are inherently biased. Officials don't care who wins. You will find rare exceptions tied to gambling, gross incompetence or just malice but they are exceedingly uncommon.

His team should still be in the playoffs.

That game should have been suspended pending review by the UIL after that assault took place. From what I've heard the UIL told the district to handle it or they would.

This is an egregious offense beyond the pale and should be punished severely.

I'm not touching the rest of the post but I'm pretty sure I just got compared to a gun grabber by virtue of the fact I happen to officiate sports.

At the end of the day, it's a game.

There have been several officials killed for doing their job by irate fans or players. Over a game.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    IMO, I think many school districts are focusing on sports and college, and pushing many students into that path as the only way to succeed in life. The goal is suppose to be preparing them to be able to function and work in society. Bot every career involves or requires a college degree to be able to live a very comfortable life.

The money spent on high school sports is beyond ridiculous to me. My tax dollars being spent on a new sports stadium pisses me off to no end. And sports was such a big racket and scam for too many years. I saw students being passed so they could play sports. I use to envy them back when I was in school. Now, I actually feel sorry for them. Most of them never got anywhere and are pretty much nothing more than broken down bums. Sad.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Well said sql. High school activities to later in life with jui jitsu or any sporting contest, all of the mentors I met would have been greatly angry and disappointed if I lashed out like that kid did.

the school should be stripped from the playoffs. As others have said it’s a coaching issue. Part of winning is losing. You can train all you want. I can think all I want about my boxing skills, jit, ect. No matter how high you climb the ladder guess what? Still someone out there badder than you. Winning requires staying calm and not giving up. When you lose that’s a gift. Now you work harder to best or at least break even the guy. Losing let’s you climb the ladder.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Apparently the community is less than happy with not making the playoffs.

My take? Edinburg can go jump in the lake.

Enigma57

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2020
    Dallas/ Fort Worth Area
    Yes, definitely charge him with the assault, remove him from playing any sports, and place him in alternative (disciplinary) classes for the rest of the school year. However, I think punishing all the players that has followed the rules just because one guy went off the rails is wrong. Sound familiar? Think Gun Control Laws.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Well as I said earlier, the game really should have been suspended. I know I would not have continued a game where that just happened.

If I had to guess, the UIL would have forfeited the game after that. This is the second time in just a few years where this has happened. I expect punishment will be severe.

The forfeit is harsh but it is intended to be so. It’s meant to put the coaching staff at this school and elsewhere on notice that this will not be tolerated. A well coached team with high expectations for behavior would have likely prevented this.

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We will probably all be seeing the kid's name one of these days after he wins his first MMA - UFC title and signs a multi-million dollar contract. There is a place for "roid rage" he just just began honing his craft a couple or 3 years too early.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There is a place for "roid rage"...
    I respectfully disagree, but...
    We will probably all be seeing the kid's name one of these days after he wins his first MMA - UFC title and signs a multi-million dollar contract.
    ...if he's able to channel his energies (or inner demons, as the case may be) into something legal and profitable, that would be the best outcome for all involved.

Here's hoping you're right.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    We will probably all be seeing the kid's name one of these days after he wins his first MMA - UFC title and signs a multi-million dollar contract. There is a place for "roid rage" he just just began honing his craft a couple or 3 years too early.

I have to disagree as well. Such behavior, regardless of what drugs, or steroids he might be using is inexcusable.

Personally, I think he will end up being a victim of his anger, or his behavior at some point in the near future.

Top Bottom