DK Firearms

Can you convert VHS and/or 8mm tapes to a digital format w/o breaking my bank?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    1 VHS tape maybe 10min, it's been 20yrs since I last viewed it. Me in the Vegas skydiving simulator.

I'm not sure how many but various family 8mm movies recorded with a Sony CCD-F401. I have the camera and A/C power supply if needed.

I don't mind a fee but the ones I've seen online were beyond my 'gotta get it' range.

Maybe this will help: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/ccd-f401

TIA
    Lynx Defense

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Costco used to do it. They may still, I don’t know. Mom took a bunch of reel to reel film and VHS tapes from the 70s and 80s of family vacations, gatherings and such and had them converted to DVD

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Found this for Walmart....

"Walmart does convert VHS to DVD through its Photo Departments as of 2022. Customers can either place orders online and send your tapes via mail or visit a local Photo Department yourself. The VHS to DVD conversion service typically takes 3-4 weeks to complete and starts from $12.96 for 30 minutes of video."

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Costco used to do it. They may still, I don’t know. Mom took a bunch of reel to reel film and VHS tapes from the 70s and 80s of family vacations, gatherings and such and had them converted to DVD
    And the cost was? :confused:

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Instead of paying someone through your nose to do it for you ($13 for 30 minutes seems utterly excessive to me), would you be willing to do it yourself with a simple converter device? There are numerous analog-to-digital video converters out there. You can connect any device to it via an RCA cable (yellow, red, white Cinch jacks) and it pushes digital video into your PC via a USB cable (possibly FireWire).
    I have one collecting dust somewhere in my home office if you want it.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Instead of paying someone through your nose to do it for you ($13 for 30 minutes seems utterly excessive to me), would you be willing to do it yourself with a simple converter device? There are numerous analog-to-digital video converters out there. You can connect any device to it via an RCA cable (yellow, red, white Cinch jacks) and it pushes digital video into your PC via a USB cable (possibly FireWire).
    I have one collecting dust somewhere in my home office if you want it.
    I would much prefer DIY, even via a TGT member, which is why I included the link in post 1. Before posting the thread, I looked over my not TOO terribly old laptop and surprise surprise, no RCA jacks.

And now that I rit that crap, I re-read your message. :facepalm: If your converter goes from original device/format via RCA to USB (or whatever other ports my laptop has), I would love to borrow and return it. If they are cheap enough I would simply buy one but would need some guidance so I don't get the wrong item.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I would much prefer DIY, even via a TGT member, which is why I included the link in post 1. Before posting the thread, I looked over my not TOO terribly old laptop and surprise surprise, no RCA jacks.

And now that I rit that crap, I re-read your message. :facepalm: If your converter goes from original device/format via RCA to USB (or whatever other ports my laptop has), I would love to borrow and return it. If they are cheap enough I would simply buy one but would need some guidance so I don't get the wrong item.
    I posted a couple of options in Post #5 for you.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

You'll want something that send the video in a better quality than RCA jacks. scart or component video out would probably be much better.

Some newer (like made in the past ten or fifteen years) camcorders can take video in and record it to an SD card in standard h.264 mp4 or similar file. That would be easy mode.

Do you want to say where in SE TX you are? If I'm close, I'll do what I can for you.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    You'll want something that send the video in a better quality than RCA jacks. scart or component video out would probably be much better.

Some newer (like made in the past ten or fifteen years) camcorders can take video in and record it to an SD card in standard h.264 mp4 or similar file. That would be easy mode.

Do you want to say where in SE TX you are? If I'm close, I'll do what I can for you.
    Greater metro Huntsville. ;)
    Thanks, due to other life circumstances this has once again been moved to the back burner but not forgotten.

LEP

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2015
    El Paso
    I have a machine that converts VHS to DVD (I converted over 40 home movies to disc). It can also do 8mm, but I would need the camera.
    Unless you're in a hurry, we could work something out.

EDIT: It's a Toshiba DVR620KU

Last edited:

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    1 VHS tape maybe 10min, it's been 20yrs since I last viewed it. Me in the Vegas skydiving simulator.

I'm not sure how many but various family 8mm movies recorded with a Sony CCD-F401. I have the camera and A/C power supply if needed.

I don't mind a fee but the ones I've seen online were beyond my 'gotta get it' range.

Maybe this will help: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/ccd-f401

TIA
    if the camera has playback and rca output cables, or if you have a player for the cassettes something liek this should do it pretty well.

Top Bottom