Gun Zone Deals

Can We Believe Anything that ERCOT Says?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    There are different insulation requirements up north, but his understanding of how it works is off.

He should probably stick to energy.
    Yeah, we insulate for a 30° temp. difference from inside to outside more or less, they have to insulate for a good bit more of a temp. difference. 70-30 =40, 70+30=100

Up north it may be a 50, 60 or 70 degree temperature difference from inside to out, they just plain use more insulation or more heating.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Heard on radio that ERCOT supposedly went to the feds (DOE) to get a "waiver" to ALLOW excess pollutants in the air by running the power plants at higher capacity, but were turned down.
    My question would be, why build a plant and not be able to maximize use? Heads need to roll somewhere.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Well, they won't be rolling in DC O'Biden has just the stranglehold on the country he wants. E(nding) P(rofitable) A(ctivity) rides again. Name 3 famous puppets: Charley McCarthy, Howdy Doody and Joe Biden.

Reactions: gll

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Heard on radio that ERCOT supposedly went to the feds (DOE) to get a "waiver" to ALLOW excess pollutants in the air by running the power plants at higher capacity, but were turned down.
    My question would be, why build a plant and not be able to maximize use? Heads need to roll somewhere.
    I would have said phuck you to the feds, publicly advertised the fact the feds want everyone to freeze to death and run the plants as needed anyways. Infact I would be publishing any letters, emails or tapes of phone calls daily multiple times still.

Thata just me I guess.

None of it reconciles the fact they didnt winterize equipment. Nor the fact several electric companies are going BK and out of business.

It's a real shitshow.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock

I have not had a chance to read the entire DOE ruling, so I can’t comment on the DOE not allowing ERCOT to run full power.

However, EPA regulations change quickly. Power plants are built over years and to meet certain standards. In order to meet new standards the plants either need to be refurbished or they can throttle output to match new regulations till they are updated if even possible. Power plants costs hundreds of millions of dollars. Refits cost probably hundreds of million dollars and take years probably to set up, fund and execute. All the while the settled science changes regulations.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

Here is the response to the ERCOT request. It doesn't seem they denied the request, but perhaps I am having reading comprehension issues today.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I would have said phuck you to the feds, publicly advertised the fact the feds want everyone to freeze to death and run the plants as needed anyways. Infact I would be publishing any letters, emails or tapes of phone calls daily multiple times still.

Thata just me I guess.

None of it reconciles the fact they didnt winterize equipment. Nor the fact several electric companies are going BK and out of business.

It's a real shitshow.

Pretty much this! The DOE ruling, if true might not have had any long impact. Maybe delay things a bit.

The fact is that TX experienced 2 once in a lifetime freeze events prior to this one. AFAIK the findings from both were the same. Winterize your stuff if you want to be able to run during harsh winter events.

Since 1989, the legislature, the PUC, ERCOT, the power generators and utility companies have been playing kick the can on making the changes. I’m sure these changes aren’t cheap and if the legislature mandates it they would have to fund it some. Can’t have that cause you know some freeloader program needs more $$. Same for the other entities. Lots of profits wasted on refits and we can’t have that.

Sadly because of their kick the can mentality they just might face more regulatory backlash.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

ERCOT issued a waiver.

Not sure of the source of the report.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I recall a common practice where the energy rule making agencies pass a rule for polluters to reduce emissions by a certain percent on a date certain. Companies I have worked for make sure they run at max pollution for as long as possible to minimize the impact of the reduction.

Also, some industrial rate discounts require users to use a minimum of X megawatts per month to get the lower rate on the monthly bill.
    Towards the end of the month they run equipment (i.e. pipeline electric motor pumps) full out and on inefficient parts of the curve (closing down output valves a bit).

The regulated industries have a lot of input into the regulators actions. And they support politicians.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    So here is my understanding of thing from reading the DOE response to Abbott/Ercot's request.

Abbot declares a state of emergency Friday morning (2/12), & ERCOT requests DOE to grant permition to violate the EPA regs (2/12 time of day indeterminate).

Sunday night (2/14 8:51P/6:51P E/C) the DOE grants the waver.

From what I understand from other sources, the valves on the plants were already frozen at that time, and were unable to ramp up the needed/authorized production.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I read the DOE letter and gotta wonder who's getting rich off this Ponzi scheme.
    Not sure whether I understand the NERC order 693 correctly but am I the only one who saw the clause that we are not allowed to go to full power unless we buy electricity from the national grid at 100x the usual price (they specifically call out $1,500/MWh)? And I think on Tuesday, they ramped up the price to 600x the usual price.
    Who is pocketing the giant profits outside of TX?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I thought this was worth watching..., though nothing new, I suppose...

What Really Happened During The Texas Power Grid Outage?

Top Bottom