Can We Believe Anything that ERCOT Says?

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
Jan 20, 2021
Cypress, TX
Would have been cheaper not to get the ugly danged useless things in the first place.

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
Heard on radio that ERCOT supposedly went to the feds (DOE) to get a "waiver" to ALLOW excess pollutants in the air by running the power plants at higher capacity, but were turned down.
My question would be, why build a plant and not be able to maximize use? Heads need to roll somewhere.
ERCOT issued a waiver.

Not sure of the source of the report.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
Oct 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas USA
I recall a common practice where the energy rule making agencies pass a rule for polluters to reduce emissions by a certain percent on a date certain. Companies I have worked for make sure they run at max pollution for as long as possible to minimize the impact of the reduction.

Also, some industrial rate discounts require users to use a minimum of X megawatts per month to get the lower rate on the monthly bill.
Towards the end of the month they run equipment (i.e. pipeline electric motor pumps) full out and on inefficient parts of the curve (closing down output valves a bit).

The regulated industries have a lot of input into the regulators actions. And they support politicians.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2011
Cypress, TX
So here is my understanding of thing from reading the DOE response to Abbott/Ercot's request.

Abbot declares a state of emergency Friday morning (2/12), & ERCOT requests DOE to grant permition to violate the EPA regs (2/12 time of day indeterminate).

Sunday night (2/14 8:51P/6:51P E/C) the DOE grants the waver.

From what I understand from other sources, the valves on the plants were already frozen at that time, and were unable to ramp up the needed/authorized production.

BBL

Feb 8, 2021
TX
I read the DOE letter and gotta wonder who's getting rich off this Ponzi scheme.
Not sure whether I understand the NERC order 693 correctly but am I the only one who saw the clause that we are not allowed to go to full power unless we buy electricity from the national grid at 100x the usual price (they specifically call out $1,500/MWh)? And I think on Tuesday, they ramped up the price to 600x the usual price.
Who is pocketing the giant profits outside of TX?

gll

Well-Known
Jan 22, 2016
I thought this was worth watching..., though nothing new, I suppose...

What Really Happened During The Texas Power Grid Outage?

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads