• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Does anyone in the North Austin/Pflugerville/Round Rock area have any .223 go/no-go gauges that I can rent for a couple of bucks, borrow, or use on your premises?

I would be willing to leave you my .308 gauges to hold until yours are returned or I could bring my upper and stripped bolt/BCG to check headspace at your location if you would be more comfortable with that. I don't anticipate any problems but I would like to know for sure that I don't have any headspace issues with a new BCG. If this were a factory built mil-spec rifle, I probably wouldn't feel so compelled to verify headspace.

Please get in touch if you can help me out. Thank you.
    Hurley's Gold

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Thanks for the suggestion toddnjoyce. I will get that done if lightflyer1 can't locate them.

I appreciate it lightflyer1. Thank you. If they pop up easily, great, but don't tear the house apart trying to locate them. Dang it, I hate autocorrect helping me out and misspelling stuff.

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    I'm no longer needing gauges since I had a solution to check this in front of me the whole time. I found this schematic online for the PTG .223 gauge and took some measurements.

PTG 223 Gauge.jpg

I grabbed a factory loaded Winchester Ranger .223 match round out of my range bag and verified the stripped bolt would close on it after confirming dimensions in a Wilson case gauge. I then verified the measurement from the base to the .330 datum line on the factory cartridge. I added .005" shim stock and the bolt would not close, which was well under the 1.4696" spec for the PTG no-go gauge and still measured under the go dimension according to the above schematic. All good now and don't have to worry about safely firing the rifle.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Top Bottom