• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I reload .40. Just don't double charge and stay under the max load using good data.

Follow the published data and it's hard to go wrong.
    Target Sports

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Question still stands though, is it worth the trouble and just how much benefit is there??

Say average reloading has about 1% variance in bullet weight and powder charge. By taking that 1% down to .1%, what kind of gain would you expect to see? 1/4 inch tighter groups?

Sorry for my ignorance. I've never had anyone to ask before... :-/

Most people I have met at the range can't out shoot factory ammo much less thier gun. However, they are willing to throw money at physical items (gun, scope, ammo) rather than address their skill level because that takes real work.

Handloaders are not exempt from that tendency either. They buy all sorts of gadgets and doodads to improve thier ammo but they are the weak link. There are guys who shoot sub MOA with ammo off progressive presses using stock dies and a load they didn't spend 100 hours developing.

There is no doubt those things help, you can't compete in NASCAR with a real stock car, but the car doesn't win the race without skilled driving.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Most people I have met at the range can't out shoot factory ammo much less thier gun. However, they are willing to throw money at physical items (gun, scope, ammo) rather than address their skill level because that takes real work.

Handloaders are not exempt from that tendency either. They buy all sorts of gadgets and doodads to improve thier ammo but they are the weak link. There are guys who shoot sub MOA with ammo off progressive presses using stock dies and a load they didn't spend 100 hours developing.

There is no doubt those things help, you can't compete in NASCAR with a real stock car, but the car doesn't win the race without skilled driving.
    The truth.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Imagine a large sieve (strainer) filled with sand. The sand finds the holes and falls out of the strainer. The game is to plug up as many strainer holes as possible in a match to save as much sand as possible. What remains in the sieve, is your score.

For each of these items, a few holes in the sieve are plugged up. As you plug more holes, more sand is retained and your score is higher.

Precision ammunition
    Glass bedding the action.
    Using a good sling........... properly
    Rifle barrel in good condition
    Precision sights
    Good shooting jacket
    Glasses that fit and with current correction.
    Appropriate clothing
    Proper hydration
    Good physical conditioning
    Effective hearing protection.
    Precision trigger
    Properly fitting stock
    Using Natural Point Of Aim (NPOA)
    Good footwear

Each one of these items will save some of the sand. Each will increase your score.

I've heard it said that a non glass bedded action cannot win a match. That's crap.
    Some say that a 2 groove 1903A3 cannot win a 200 yard match. That's crap, too!
    BUT if you change those things, your scores will be a few points higher.

The whole trick to accurate shooting is to pay attention to as many of these items as you can and each one will add to your score. Your score is what remains after all the sand trickles through the sieve. Plug as many holes as you can and save those points that would have been lost.

I shot with guys that were much better Marksmen than I am. They beat Hell out of me and I learned how to lose. Still......I beat them on occasion! How?

I checked and counted every bullet for the match. The proper number of rounds were loaded in each magazine and double checked.

Shoot the correct target with the correct number of rounds (COUNT your rounds!)

My rifle was cleaned & lubed then fired to foul the barrel before the match.

I had a check list for loading my gear. The stuff I needed was on the firing line...every time.

My rifle was checked 100% from end to end.

When they screwed up, I beat them! Take your wins however they come to you!

Reloading is the same as match shooting. Each of the the items that have been suggested in this thread promote accuracy. Viewed separately, each is insignificant. Together, their contribution to accurate shooting IS significant.

Flash

Last edited:

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Imagine a large sieve (strainer) filled with sand. The sand finds the holes and falls out of the strainer. The game is to plug up as many strainer holes as possible in a match to save as much sand as possible. What remains in the sieve, is your score.

For each of these items, a few holes in the sieve are plugged up. As you plug more holes, more sand is retained and your score is higher.

Precision ammunition
    Glass bedding the action.
    Using a good sling........... properly
    Rifle barrel in good condition
    Precision sights
    Good shooting jacket
    Glasses that fit and with current correction.
    Appropriate clothing
    Proper hydration
    Good physical conditioning
    Effective hearing protection.
    Precision trigger
    Properly fitting stock
    Using Natural Point Of Aim (NPOI)
    Good footwear

Each one of these items will save some of the sand. Each will increase your score.

I've heard it said that a non glass bedded action cannot win a match. That's crap.
    Some say that a 2 groove 1903A3 cannot win a 200 yard match. That's crap, too!
    BUT if you change those things, your scores will be a few points higher.

The whole trick to accurate shooting is to pay attention to as many of these items as you can and each one will add to your score. Your score is what remains after all the sand trickles through the sieve. Plug as many holes as you can and save those points that would have been lost.

I shot with guys that were much better Marksmen than I am. They beat Hell out of me and I learned how to lose. Still......I beat them on occasion! How?

I checked and counted every bullet for the match. The proper number of rounds were loaded in each magazine and double checked.

Shoot the correct target with the correct number of rounds (COUNT your rounds!)

My rifle was cleaned & lubed then fired to foul the barrel before the match.

I had a check list for loading my gear. The stuff I needed was on the firing line...every time.

My rifle was checked 100% from end to end.

When they screwed up, I beat them! Take your wins however they come to you!

Reloading is the same as match shooting. Each of the the items that have been suggested in this thread promote accuracy. Viewed separately, each is insignificant. Together, their contribution to accurate shooting IS significant.

Flash

That's a pretty good analogy. Basically you can spend a ton of time and money and only see minimal gains. It's a matter of spending the time/money in the proper place.

I used to load .308 rounds on a Lee hand press with Lee dies and shoot 1/2" groups.

Now I use a Forster Co-Ax press and Redding competition dies and measure everything to the nth degree and shoot a better rifle and I shoot 1/4" groups.

It's all relative. Point of diminishing return comes pretty quickly IME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I'm all for playing to a competitor's disadvantage if I was doing a match... I have only ever done one match though and it was a beginners match. I did win though.

Though, I didn't know more competitors but I used a shot-out ruger p85 (which has had around 2000-4000 rounds through it) while using tulammo! I did outshoot a regular comp pistol shooter using a glock 35 and speer ammo. For my shotgun I had a pump action and I rented an m&p-15 for the rifle portion.

I have shot hundreds of rounds of tula 9mm without issue and wouldn't you know it, half way through the first pistol mag I had a misfire!!! Mother#$%+@&!!!

My 870 pump shotty had only about 50 rounds through it at that time and wouldn't you know, the last target was hit and the gun jammed!!! I could not eject the last shell to ground and had to safety it.

I was also using monarch 223 in the range master's m&p and he wasn't too happy about that.

What I learned:

I shot better than the rest of the bunch because I was well practiced and had trigger discipline

No matter how reliable your ammo HAS been, don't rely on it TO BE

No matter how new/reliable you firearm HAS been, do not rely on it TO BE

Breath first, think, squeeze

Enjoy the sport and all aspects there of.

I had a blast when I did my three gun and hope to do it again someday!

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Also, COUNT YOUR ROUNDS GOING INTO AND COMING OUT OF YOUR FIREARMS!!!

I ha 2 eff ups. First while loading my shotgun I dropped on in the chamber and proceeded to load 5 more rounds in the tube. Max number allowed in the gun was 5. Add time to score...

Second was when firing my first 15 Rd mag in my pistol, the 8th round didn't fire so I dropped the mag, saw it was loaded, reinstalled, cleared, and fired. That cost me about 5 seconds. If I could do it again today I could shave 30-50 seconds off my time. Most of it would have been those 2 screwups

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom