Patriot Mobile

Can I carry a Handgun in Texas with Disposed Deferred Adjudication from 10 years ago

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pearson627

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2021
    Houston Tx
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask but maybe someone can help or direct me in the right direction..

I was arrested for Felony Theft over 10 years ago and got Deferred Adjudication which I fulfilled and is now Disposed, now shows as DISPOSITION - TERMINATION DEFERRED ADJUDICATION .

Under the new law am I able to carry a firearm?
    Target Sports

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    If you can go in gun shop and purchase a gun then you're likely good. If denied then no.

I'm not an atty but have lots of Holiday Inn points. If incorrect, you may get a few free nights.

Last edited:

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Best solution! DPS folks are OK but they are NOT attorneys!
    The best answer will come from your county District Attorney Office , preferable written approval. They are the ones familiar with your case and will be the ones to prosecute you if act on bad information;)

pearson627

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2021
    Houston Tx
    If you can go in gun shop and purchase a gun then you're likely good. If denied then no.

I'm not an atty but have lots of Holiday Inn points. If incorrect, you may get a few free nights.
    Weird that you say that because about 4-5 years ago I did try to purchase a rifle at Academy which after doing the paperwork I was allowed to, after that I bought 2 pistols a couple years later but then got denied after trying to buy another last year.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I've had denials on purchases a few times which would then be approved after a few days delay. After the last, I applied for a UPIN and haven't had another denial for several years.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Weird that you say that because about 4-5 years ago I did try to purchase a rifle at Academy which after doing the paperwork I was allowed to, after that I bought 2 pistols a couple years later but then got denied after trying to buy another last year.

Have you ever made an attempt to get an LTC?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Wow, tons of great advice by legal experts here. Goddâm y’all ougta open up a lawyer shop.

Since deferred adjudication in Texas requires the defendant to enter a plea of guilty or no contest, there is a felony conviction. Texas partially restores firearms rights (possession in the home) for some felons 5 years after completion of the sentence.

Unless we know the duration if OPs deferred adjudication, we can’t even guess when that five years is up. Now, carry under HB1927 generally requires two tests be met: is the person not a prohibited person at the federal level and is the person not a prohibited person at the state level. Then HB1927 adds that people with certain felony convictions are not eligible to carry, even if they’re eligible to possess.

But y’all go ahead and hand out shitty advice that, in the long term, imperils the likelihood of improving all the fûcked up things that HB1927 does to those exercising their right under HB1927 or with an LTC.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The best answer will come from your county District Attorney Office , preferable written approval. They are the ones familiar with your case and will be the ones to prosecute you if act on bad information;)
    The internet is a horrible place to get legal advice. Period.
    Cops are not much better.
    A District Attorney will tell you what the Law is/says. But an honest one will tell you what you can get arrested and prosecuted for anyway.
    A decent Criminal Defense Attorney will tell you what he can defend you for doing. Most importantly, they can tell you what NOT to do so you don't them in the first place.

Talk to an attorney!

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask but maybe someone can help or direct me in the right direction..

I was arrested for Felony Theft over 10 years ago and got Deferred Adjudication which I fulfilled and is now Disposed, now shows as DISPOSITION - TERMINATION DEFERRED ADJUDICATION .

Under the new law am I able to carry a firearm?

Carry how (open, concealed, LTC, PLC)? What type of firearm (rifle, handgun, etc)? Rules are different for just about every situation.

Whether you can legally buy one is irrelevant.

Under Federal and State Law, you can buy.

Under Federal and State Law, you can take home, take to the range, etc.

LTC - ask @txinvestigator. There is a period of time DA is DQ but I am not sure what it is.

PLC - dont know yet. Law is too convoluted to read still.

Top Bottom