• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James1776

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Georgia
    Could you explain the concept of trajectory, wind drift, recoil, velocity, and accuracy? And how gunning calculations play a part?
    Venture Surplus ad

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Calculation Math GIF - Calculation Math Hangover GIFs

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Could you explain the concept of trajectory, wind drift, recoil, velocity, and accuracy? And how gunning calculations play a part?

First of all, Welcome to TGT.

Trajectory is fairly simple. Bullet rises somewhat when it leaves the barrel, then gravity takes over and it starts to fall. Trajectory can be measured, and even calculated, based on different variables. That's where it can get complicated rather quickly. Barrel length, velocity, weather conditions, powder, bullet type,weight and BC, along with the scope settings, scope zero, and many more variables have an effect on trajectory.

Wind drift is simple too, but, one of the more complicated to adjust for. In simple terms, it's simply how much the bullet drifts on a horizontal plane. Trajectory is how much a bullet rises and falls on the vertical plane.

Recoil is how much the rifle feels in accordance to being fired. Lots of variable here also to consider. And recoil and how a shooter reacts to that recoil can, and does directly affect accuracy.

Velocity is a variable of accuracy and has a direct influence on accuracy, but it's just one of it's variables that is a factor of accuracy. Again, there are many variables that affect accuracy. Velocity just being one of them.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA

Trajectory is fairly simple. Bullet rises somewhat when it leaves the barrel, then gravity takes over and it starts to fall. Trajectory can be measured, and even calculated, based on different variables. That's where it can get complicated rather quickly. Barrel length, velocity, weather conditions, powder, bullet type,weight and BC, along with the scope settings, scope zero, and many more variables have an effect on trajectory.

Wind drift is simple too, but, one of the more complicated to adjust for. In simple terms, it's simply how much the bullet drifts on a horizontal plane. Trajectory is how much a bullet rises and falls on the vertical plane.

Recoil is how much the rifle feels in accordance to being fired. Lots of variable here also to consider. And recoil and how a shooter reacts to that recoil can, and does directly affect accuracy.

Velocity is a variable of accuracy and has a direct influence on accuracy, but it's just one of it's variables that is a factor of accuracy. Again, there are many variables that affect accuracy. Velocity just being one of them.
    You left out the part about shooting perpendicular to or parallel with the earths rotation. And if parallel with the earths rotation is it in the direction of rotation or opposite the earths rotation? Other'n that you did pretty good - for a beginner.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    You left out the part about shooting perpendicular to or parallel with the earths rotation. And if parallel with the earths rotation is it in the direction of rotation or opposite the earths rotation? Other'n that you did pretty good - for a beginner.

Doug, I left a LOT out of that post! As did others that posted on this thread! This is one of those topics that could eat up a lot of forum's bandwidth in a hurry.

James1776

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Georgia

Thank you

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA

No, bullets do NOT rise upon leaving the barrel.All they do is fall. The charts you see are skewed, making it LOOK like the bullet rises above the line of bore, but that's impossible. The bullet would have to be a rocket. Once it leaves the bore, no velocity increase is possible and without an increase, all the bullet can do is fall. what you see on the charts is the rear sight is elevated further above the bore than the front sight (or front of a scope) So your straight as a laser line of sight intersect with the falling arc of the bullet in two places. when you chart this, it DOES look as if the bullet rises, but it cannot do so.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    No, bullets do NOT rise upon leaving the barrel.All they do is fall. The charts you see are skewed, making it LOOK like the bullet rises above the line of bore, but that's impossible. The bullet would have to be a rocket. Once it leaves the bore, no velocity increase is possible and without an increase, all the bullet can do is fall. what you see on the charts is the rear sight is elevated further above the bore than the front sight (or front of a scope) So your straight as a laser line of sight intersect with the falling arc of the bullet in two places. when you chart this, it DOES look as if the bullet rises, but it cannot do so.
    So.....if I point it up i will just fall?
    Yup, a bullet cannot rise after leaving a horizontal barrel - gravity 'n' stuff y'know?
    A horizontal barrel, no. But if the barrel is tilted up past horizontal for distance, it will rise above the line of sight. That fact is what lets us shoot several hundred yards without using lasers. Gravity has no effect on lasers last I heard.
    Although I suspect denit will set me straight on that. Bein so smart and all......

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I don't have a clue. Never shot a gun in my life, and I'm not even sure if I even have any guns anymore. Just something I read in a book some years ago. Book might have even been fiction too.

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    So.....if I point it up i will just fall?A horizontal barrel, no. But if the barrel is tilted up past horizontal for distance, it will rise above the line of sight. That fact is what lets us shoot several hundred yards without using lasers. Gravity has no effect on lasers last I heard.
    Although I suspect denit will set me straight on that. Bein so smart and all......

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    it's still not rising above the line of bore. So what I said is still correct.

Top Bottom