Target Sports

Can a felon legally own a Cap & Ball Revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I believe this is for all of the states but I do know it's for Texas'

Felons were given back their right to vote after they have completed their probation and/or parole. I also think, but hold me to it, that all rights were given back with the exception of gun owner ship.
    Yup that should be given back to them also. Non violent felons who have done their time should have all rights restored. If they have committed an offense that doesn't allow them firearm ownership then they should stay locked up.
    ARJ Defense ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yup that should be given back to them also. Non violent felons who have done their time should have all rights restored. If they have committed an offense that doesn't allow them firearm ownership then they should stay locked up.

I have held the belief that once a person pays their debt to society, their rights, including the right to keep and bear arms should be automatically restored. If that person is considered so dangerous that the right to keep and near arms is such a danger, then maybe they are too dangerous to be walking around in society in the first place.

I also have never understood the idea of warehousing people in prison with life time sentences with no possibility of parole. IMO, that seems like cruel and unusual punishment, and even more cruel than giving them the death sentence. Yes, I'm a huge proponent of the death penalty.

But as the current laws are, it is illegal for a felon to have in their possession any firearms and ammo. There are many people that have committed non-violent crimes that are now felons that can't legally possess a firearm. IMO, that is just wrong. I think these laws need to be changed. Anyone that thinks that any law is going to stop a criminal from getting a firearm, is naive or delusional. The laws only allow for stiffer penalties.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have held the belief that once a person pays their debt to society, their rights, including the right to keep and bear arms should be automatically restored. If that person is considered so dangerous that the right to keep and near arms is such a danger, then maybe they are too dangerous to be walking around in society in the first place.

I also have never understood the idea of warehousing people in prison with life time sentences with no possibility of parole. IMO, that seems like cruel and unusual punishment, and even more cruel than giving them the death sentence. Yes, I'm a huge proponent of the death penalty.

But as the current laws are, it is illegal for a felon to have in their possession any firearms and ammo. There are many people that have committed non-violent crimes that are now felons that can't legally possess a firearm. IMO, that is just wrong. I think these laws need to be changed. Anyone that thinks that any law is going to stop a criminal from getting a firearm, is naive or delusional. The laws only allow for stiffer penalties.
    Agree

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    There are already too many people who are too dangerous to be walking around in society in the first place; but truth be told if someone wants a firearm, they will get one and we all know that gun laws don't actually stop crime!

In other words, it's more important to get the current 2A-violating restrictions removed than fighting to restore the rights of convicted felons. I am not against the latter, but don't think it's a priority.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    There are already too many people who are too dangerous to be walking around in society in the first place; but truth be told if someone wants a firearm, they will get one and we all know that gun laws don't actually stop crime!

In other words, it's more important to get the current 2A-violating restrictions removed than fighting to restore the rights of convicted felons. I am not against the latter, but don't think it's a priority.

I can agree with that. I do believe that a person that is considered safe enough to be back among society should have their gun rights restored, but what I think is more than likely irrelevant to the people who make the laws!

Top Bottom