Join TexasGunTalk

Camp Bullis Sportsmans Range

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by majormadmax, May 24, 2010.

1. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I got a PM asking about this range, since I mention it a lot. Instead of just replying to that one person, I thought I'd go ahead and post the info here so anyone who might be eligible can give it a try.

Just to make it clear, the Camp Bullis Sportsmans Range is only accessible for DoD ID card holders only!

In other words...

No guests
    are allowed unless they have DoD ID cards !

The range is on Camp Bullison NW Military just north of 1604 and east of IH-10 West. It's been a few weeks since I've been, but they had a temporary rifle caliber restriction of .223/5.56 or less due to a recent safety inspection. However, the range control officer I spoke with the last time I was there expected the issues in question to be resolved soon, so ask when you call if you plan to shoot any rifles over .223/5.56. Here's the info:

The range is set at 50, 100, 200 and 300 meters; however, usually they will not allow people to set up targets beyond 100 meters because it takes so long to check them that it inconveniences the other shooters. However, this is not always true, especially before hunting season when a lot of people are sighting in their rifles. Ask ahead of time before planning to shoot over 100 meters.

Lastly, I am not responsible for any deviations to the above information. The rules can and do change (this is the military we're talking about!), so call the ORC at the numbers listed above and get all questions answered before going out there. It is a great range to shoot...quiet, professionally run, and some really great folks shooting there. But once again, this range is only open to DoD ID card holders (e.g active duty, Reservists, Guardsmen, retirees and dependents). No guests are allowed!

I hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

2. Moss_Berg5150

Moss_Berg5150 Active Member

Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is great information, thank you very much for posting!

3. irishthunder50

irishthunder50 Member

May 20, 2010
    Ft. Hood/San Antonio
    Thanks a bunch for posting, i appreciate it

4. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    No problem, I tried responding to your PM but your account isn't set up to accept replies; so I figured you'd see it here.

Cheers! M2

5. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    By the way, the caliber restrictions were lifted a long time ago...

Cheers! M2

6. Buck Nekkid

Buck Nekkid Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's too bad that "regular" tax paying citizens cannot utilize this taxpayer funded range. Years ago, pre 9-11, many of us non military types were welcomed to shoot at the excellent facility at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. Post 9-11 it's been military only. Is that what happened here?

7. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Basically, and now those of us with DoD ID cards can't even bring guests on the range which kinda sucks.

Still, it's a military installation and security needs to be maintained. There are too many valuable resources out there that need to be protected; especially considering the kinds of training now conducted on Bullis. As someone who has insight into the daily threats against this country, including the domestic ones, I fully understand the need for the increased measures.

Cheers! M2

toddnjoyce likes this.
  8. Red78

Red78 Member

Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    Couple of comments.
    - If anyone's wondering, you are able to shoot hand guns there. They've got a couple of targets on the end for that.
    - There are caliber restrictions. Not sure what is/is not allowed, best to call them. I know that .270 is not allowed. It's all based on max range.

9. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The above rules state handguns are allowed ("This allows shooter to shoot two (2) firearms (shotgun, pistol or rifle) per day"), and I've shot them at both ends of the range. You are not restricted to the far end although the RSOs like to keep that area open for strictly handgun shooters.

As for caliber restrictions, it is posted in the above info as well ("Maximum caliber restriction is .30 caliber. No super magnum .30 caliber, i.e., 300 Win Mag. Maximum range limit is no more than 5,782 yards").

Lastly, as I've stated earlier, it's always best to call before going out there. The range is sometimes close due to other activities.

Cheers! M2

10. Mikey

Mikey Member

Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio
    This sounds like it could be a winner for the wife and I, being DOD ID holders (I'm AD, she's a dependant). Do firearms need to be registered in advance, or can I register them on a day the range is open and shoot them right afterward?