• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Just thought I'd mention seeing the Marlin 795 for $100 (after the Marlin $25 mail-in rebate). I've got one of these and it's one heck of a GREAT little gun - very accurate. They made good on the rebate (good until the end of the year) and I put a $20 used Simmons 3-9x40 scope on it and am very pleased with the results. Yeah, yeah....I know...I'm "cheap"....my wife accuses me of the same thing! I bought some extra factory/OEM magazines for it and I've really enjoyed shooting it all summer long. The thing is litterally (and figuratively) deadly at the 50 meters I've got the scope zero'd at...as I said, very accurate!

I also have a Marlin 60 I bought new in 1981 (old style, 22" long barrel) and a Remington 597. Both of these are absolutely great guns; I've got *better* scopes on them ;) and they're correspondingly accurate at greater ranges (100 yards) provided the right ammo is used.

But if anyone wants an ecomomical, great little .22 autoloader, I'd recommend checking out the Marlin 795. Also, IMLTHO (less than humble opinion), it'd make a good "first" gun for younger shooters (grandchildren, etc.) and would be a little more substantial than say, a cricket.
    Capitol Armory ad

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    This has been a topic on SlickDeals for a couple of days. Couple of links to Cabela's and a NutnFancy review:
    Marlin 795 .22lr Rifle $99.99AR Reg. 149.99 @ Cabela's B&M - Slickdeals.net

I guess I should get into long guns...have an unfired 177 pellet rifle that's been sitting for well over a year. Maybe a little 22lr would be a fun way to start.
    I'm headed out to the Texas Hill Country Olive Company in Dripping Springs this afternoon. Buda's not exactly on the way, but a detour might be in order ;) .

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Upon further review...Academy carries this for a buck-thirty. The Marlin rebate doesn't appear to be store-specific. I downloaded the form and it looks like any authorized dealer purchase would qualify. Even if Academy doesn't match the price(a FIVE dollar difference!), it would save me 70 miles of driving down to Buda('course Cabela's DOES have 22lr w/ammo can for about 3.3 cents a round---not the best price, but you need another can, don't you? ).

Might help those who don't have a Cabela's nearby! :)

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    They have them at Academy for $129, and the rebate is through Marlin, so if ya can't get to Cabelas there are options.. Cost $5 more, but perhaps they'll price match.. Not worth the gas for me to drive...Lol..

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Upon further review...Academy carries this for a buck-thirty. The Marlin rebate doesn't appear to be store-specific. I downloaded the form and it looks like any authorized dealer purchase would qualify. Even if Academy doesn't match the price(a FIVE dollar difference!), it would save me 70 miles of driving down to Buda('course Cabela's DOES have 22lr w/ammo can for about 3.3 cents a round---not the best price, but you need another can, don't you? ).

Might help those who don't have a Cabela's nearby! :)

AND upon even FURTHER review, it looks like Dick's has been running the same $125-25 deal this week...ends TODAY 12/10.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Just an FYI, the only magazines that really work are the stock 10rnd ones. There is an aftermarket 25rnd mag, but after watching vids and doing some reading, it's crap. So either buy a lot of mags or make sure you don't have arthritis in your hands.

SHOOTERS RIDGE MARLIN 795 SINGLE STACK MAGAZINE 25 RDS at MidsouthShooters.com

I have a 597 and I haven't had a single problem with the Remington 30rnd mags. Just need to bend a little piece of plastic with a flat blade screwdriver and it'll hold the bolt open after the last shot.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    'course Cabela's DOES have 22lr w/ammo can for about 3.3 cents a round---not the best price, but you need another can, don't you?

Yeah, I bought one of those today: Federal 525 Champions at 2,100 rounds for $69.99 PLUS an Ammo box (the metal one, this time). It's not easy to beat that deal; 36gr CuPlated HP (Federal). You can find a little cheaper but usually thats going to be something like a Blazer Lead RN or you may have to buy a full case (5K rds) to get any substanitially better price (with the possible exception of Remingtoon...which you're welcome to have). And for me at least, personally, there is some value in those "free" ammo boxes - helps keep my various ammo organized and stored safely.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Just an FYI, the only magazines that really work are the stock 10rnd ones.

Yeah, that!

I've got two of the Shooters Ridge 25rd plastic worthless magazines; stear clear of them. Not worth the $$. I've worked on mine and filed them down in a couple of spots and have finally gotten them to feed very smooth LRN (like CCI Blazers) with some small degree of success. But who knowingly buys a magazine that only feeds a certain brand {style} of bullet? This is the magazine with the green top and I understand they now are making a grey colored one (under a different name) and it's no better, from early reports I've seen.

So yeah if you do find yourself needing/wanting to buy extra magazines for your 795, stick with the metal 10rd factory magazines.
    --
    And my experience is the same as RangerScott's with the Remington 30rd black plastic magazine: it works fine in the 597; no feed problems whatsoever. It's handled loads from several different manufacturers and doesn't give me any problems with feeding or jams.

Top Bottom