• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pewter99ta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Texas
    Since a family member is working at the new Cablea's I got to check out last night. If you've been to the Ft. Worth store this one is a bit smaller but still impressive. They still have everything you can imagine and everyone working was extremely friendly. We only had a little over an hour and spent most of our time at the gun counter since the wife made a purchase. Also had 2 kids in tow so didn't get to see everything as it was getting late.

The only downside is that there doesn't seem to be enough parking. Even with just the employees and family there the parking lot was full. Just wanted to share in case anyone is planning on going when they open to the public on Friday. They are supposed to have shuttle service from another parking lot across the street but I'm betting that one fills up, too. May want to get there early or wait until next week if you're not into crowds.
    Venture Surplus ad

wneubauer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I just got back from there... I closed the place. I drove by at 11:05 this morning and there were a minimum of 300 people lined up. The guy at the gun counter told me they had 3000 in line by noon.... Very impressive, but not as impressive as the Ft. Worth or Sidney stores. Still, the selection of ammo, rifles and equipment was great. I did not get to see the rest of the store, but the half I walked through was great. The sales guys were telling me that while they were half the size of Ft. Worth, they had almost the same merchandise, based on floor space usage and smaller displays, diorama, aquarium, etc... it sure looks like they have a bunch. 8mm Mausers, SKS's (Yugo), 1903's, Enfields, Mosins, the list goes on. It's worth a stop. And it's 10 minutes from my house! Today was a very good day.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The crowds will wane. Just like they did at the FW store.

I like the place, but you've got to be an informed shopper. When they have their side-walk sales, like at the end of seasons, there are some really good deals. I picked up list price shorts that were normally $45 for $5 and a rain jacket that had a tag for $65 for $12.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I got in for the special preview on Wednesday and was there @ 9am when it opened. It was cool, and I will shop there, but its not as cool as some other locations.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I wasn't really impressed with the new Cabelas. It feels more like a Dick's than Cabelas being open air and only being one floor. Totally bummed about the lack of bargain cave, and there aren't really any worthy exhibits either.

I don't really see any reason to go to this Cabelas as opposed to the store in FT Worth. Its a little easier to get to, but I hate the layout of the store..

pewter99ta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Texas
    Totally bummed about the lack of bargain cave, and there aren't really any worthy exhibits either.

They do have a bargain cave at the back of the store to the right of the big aquarium. I missed it the first time I went, too.

Very true about the exhibits. They have small exhibits all over the store but nothing as big as what the Ft. Worth store has. They put pretty much the same inventory into a store about half the size of the Ft. Worth store. That means they have to do without some things (restaurant, bigger gun library & exhibits, etc.). Anyone wanting to shop in a store with a large selection should be happy at the Allen store. If you want to see big, impressive exhibits it's worth the drive to Ft. Worth.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Went by last weekend. Got stuck at an intersection for about a half hour waiting on traffic. I couldn't turn around got pissed, flipped my proverbial desk and left.

Might give it another try this weekend.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Took the family last Saturday and enjoyed what we saw. Gunny was there but the line was closed to meet him. I was surprised at the gun selection and it was good to see the used gun selection being stocked. I found some decent ammo deals. I don't think I've seen a Cabelas with as many non-sporting type rifles. Usually the Cabelas I've been to are much like Dicks and they only have shotguns and bolt rifles. This one had m4ergies, mosins, etc ,etc. It was much more interesting to see if you could get to the gun counter (there were tons of people there).

wneubauer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Their bargain cave was quite good for a new store, but they have stopped their practice of dickering on bargain cave prices... That was the best part of the bargain cave..

prometheus

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Rockwall
    Absolute disappointment!! I went there with the wife and kid, and while there were a few elements to the store I thought were neat, their prices were borderline at best, and the same for selection. I live in rockwall so Im only a short jaunt from Bass Pro, and that store is amazing still even after been there a few dozen times. I get my gun deals at gun shows, those stores are really only for inspiration.

"When SHTF, If A has bullets but no food, and B has food but no bullets, then A has food."

Top Bottom