• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    June 11, 2022. I also dug up an ad in a local newspaper called Hello Georgetown which also cites the biz location as Georgetown: https://www.hellogeorgetown.com/business-directory/cc-gunsmithing/

Yes, it's on my to-do list. But being that I live in CA, and given my past experience with the LEOs that handled this and with absolutely no idea who the "right person" I should be looking for, I'm not sure I'm too optimistic...

You should be calling the local ATF field office first thing in the morning. Not on your "to do" list. The man committed several felonies and you're on a message board with civilians that don't have any power and can do absolutely dick about your problem.

9009 Mountain Ridge Drive, Suite 220
    Austin, TX 78759
    (512) 231-2880

EDIT and your message to them shouldn't be "MAH GUN WAS STOLEN BY SOME GUY" your message should be "while using his FFL to perform gun smithing duties and in the commission of FFL activities the man committed theft of a firearm and crossed several state lines with stolen firearms as an FFL. There are several reports of stolen firearms attributed to this FFL specifically and we'd like it investigated"

Then you gather every serial number of every person in california's gun that claims to have been and WAS REPORTED STOLEN.
    Capitol Armory ad

alyeh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    California
    You should be calling the local ATF field office first thing in the morning. Not on your "to do" list. The man committed several felonies and you're on a message board with civilians that don't have any power and can do absolutely dick about your problem.

Austin, TX 78759
    (512) 231-2880
    On it. Looking at the ATF website https://www.atf.gov/houston-field-division/southeast-texas-field-offices and I'm confused as hell. I see a message to Contact the Criminal Enforcement for questions or information relating to:
    • Suspected illegal firearms possession/sales/purchase
    • Suspected criminal activity involving explosives, tobacco or arson
    • Any other law enforcement matter
    But there's no number for "criminal enforcement"? I also see a # for "Crime Gun Intelligence Center" and another one for the Austin field office which I'm guessing is probably the most appropriate? Do I just call up and ask to speak to a special agent about a firearm theft? Never dealt with ATF so I'm completely clueless as to how they work.

EDIT: Sorry just saw you included the number. Thanks.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

Austin, TX 78759
    (512) 231-2880

EDIT and your message to them shouldn't be "MAH GUN WAS STOLEN BY SOME GUY" your message should be "while using his FFL to perform gun smithing duties and in the commission of FFL activities the man committed theft of a firearm and crossed several state lines with stolen firearms as an FFL. There are several reports of stolen firearms attributed to this FFL specifically and we'd like it investigated"

Then you gather every serial number of every person in california's gun that claims to have been and WAS REPORTED STOLEN.
    Odds are those guns are gone but he needs to be investigated.

With enough interest a sting can happen.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I could not tell from all of the posts but when you first gave this guy your gun did you get a paper receipt showing gun and serial number? If not you are out of luck. I believe in California theft over $1000 the cops act, under that they don't. At this point I think your chances of a positive result are close to zero.

alyeh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    California

Thanks, duly noted. I pretty much did exactly what you suggested not to do, which probably explains my poor track record with LE. I'll incorporate your recommendation and call Austin tomorrow and report back.

I could not tell from all of the posts but when you first gave this guy your gun did you get a paper receipt showing gun and serial number? If not you are out of luck. I believe in California theft over $1000 the cops act, under that they don't. At this point I think your chances of a positive result are close to zero.
    If I remember correctly, he gave me a handwritten "receipt" with the work done, price, and my name but no S/N. However, I don't think that's a significant roadblock since it's on the record in police reports, interviews, court records that he admits he is still in possession of the gun (at least in 2018). EDIT: Forgot to add, the crime reported was Grand Theft (CA Penal Code 487a), which can be charged either as a misdemeanor or felony and is only for property exceeding $950 in value. But from what one of the officers told me, the Redwood City PD is so deprived of resources they don't even bother investigating many grand thefts.

There isn't any business "licensing" in Texas. The minimum (which may not even be necessary for a sole proprietorship) is a DBA (Doing Business As) which is done at the county level. Other forms are filed at the state comptroller. You might search at the county clerk and the state comptroller.
    Seems from googling that Williamson County requires a DBA for sole proprietorship. Assuming that's true is there even any real enforcement or penalties against not having one?

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    Thanks, duly noted. I pretty much did exactly what you suggested not to do, which probably explains my poor track record with LE. I'll incorporate your recommendation and call Austin tomorrow and report back.

If I remember correctly, he gave me a handwritten "receipt" with the work done, price, and my name but no S/N. However, I don't think that's a significant roadblock since it's on the record in police reports, interviews, court records that he admits he is still in possession of the gun (at least in 2018). EDIT: Forgot to add, the crime reported was Grand Theft (CA Penal Code 487a), which can be charged either as a misdemeanor or felony and is only for property exceeding $950 in value. But from what one of the officers told me, the Redwood City PD is so deprived of resources they don't even bother investigating many grand thefts.

Seems from googling that Williamson County requires a DBA for sole proprietorship. Assuming that's true is there even any real enforcement or penalties against not having one?
    No dba needed for sole proprietorship when the owner operates under his name.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I think that’s a small fine. No serious trouble for him, which it sounds like he needs.

Last edited:

alyeh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    California
    Hey all,
    Called Austin as recommended earlier. Disclaimer though, the person I spoke to was a desk rep rather than a Special Agent. From what we spoke about, ATF has exclusive jurisdiction of 27 CFR, which mostly pertains to FFLs. As long as Chaz doesn't violate the GCA, NFA, or commit a "willful violation", there is nothing the ATF can enforce that prohibits a licensee from taking a customer's gun, recording it in his log properly, and keeping it forever. FFL's can only be revoked if they "willfully" commit the following:
    1. Transferring a firearm to a prohibited person
    2. Failing to conduct a required background check
    3. Falsifying records, such as a firearms transaction form
    4. Failing to respond to a trace request
    5. Refusing to permit ATF to conduct an inspection
    6. Account for firearms
    7. Verify and document buyer eligibility
    8. Maintain records needed for successful firearms tracing
    9. Report multiple sales of handguns
    And apparently even if you commit any of those, only 0.7% of violations result in revocation. Theft of a gun and transporting stolen property between states is under 18 U.S.C. and under the jurisdiction of the FBI. Not sure how much of this is accurate. The guy put me on hold for 10 minutes trying to find an answer. I plan on calling back and asking for a Special Agent directly. Can any FFLs or others with legal experience chime in?

Thanks

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Hey all,
    Called Austin as recommended earlier. Disclaimer though, the person I spoke to was a desk rep rather than a Special Agent. From what we spoke about, ATF has exclusive jurisdiction of 27 CFR, which mostly pertains to FFLs. As long as Chaz doesn't violate the GCA, NFA, or commit a "willful violation", there is nothing the ATF can enforce that prohibits a licensee from taking a customer's gun, recording it in his log properly, and keeping it forever. FFL's can only be revoked if they "willfully" commit the following:
    6. Account for firearms
    And apparently even if you commit any of those, only 0.7% of violations result in revocation. Theft of a gun and transporting stolen property between states is under 18 U.S.C. and under the jurisdiction of the FBI. Not sure how much of this is accurate. The guy put me on hold for 10 minutes trying to find an answer. I plan on calling back and asking for a Special Agent directly. Can any FFLs or others with legal experience chime in?

Thanks

So tomorrow's adventure is calling the FBI.

5740 University Heights Blvd.
    San Antonio, TX 78249
    sanantonio.fbi.gov
    (210) 225-6741

That's the closest field office to WIlliamson county

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Hey all,
    6. Account for firearms

Thanks
    Looks like your only alternative is to let Dementia Joes puppeteers know about it. They are hot on shutting down FFLs and don't give a shit about following the law or Constitution.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Theft of a gun and transporting stolen property between states is under 18 U.S.C. and under the jurisdiction of the FBI. Not sure how much of this is accurate…
    18 U.S.C § 2314 deals with “transportation of stolen goods, securities, money, fraudulent state tax stamps, or articles used in counterfeiting.”

Needs to be valued at $5000 or more to be a federal offense. FBI primarily, but other fed agencies have jurisdiction as well.

Top Bottom