• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Since you guys buy your own ammo, do you have to buy 55 gr SP? Could you buy heavier bullets or OTM?

Just curious. Thanks again!
    We're supposed to purchase 55gr SP. They don't specify a particular manufacturer or load. I run 62gr Gold Dots. If they make an issue out of it after a shooting then I'll deal with it. Federal makes a 55gr duty load that is never in stock. Good luck trying to find it now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    We're supposed to purchase 55gr SP. They don't specify a particular manufacturer or load. I run 62gr Gold Dots. If they make an issue out of it after a shooting then I'll deal with it. Federal makes a 55gr duty load that is never in stock. Good luck trying to find it now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Why? Is there some sort of crazy uninformed reason to use SP versus FMJ?

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    First shooting was in a guys front yard, maybe 15 yards max distance. They fire 4 or 5 shots at a guy that just shot a relative in his front yard with a shotgun. He was still holding the shotgun when they arrive. He was hit twice in the face, once in the chest area, and once in the arm. This is all with 55gr soft point. I'm not sure of the brand because each officer buys their own ammo. Do to the close distance one of the officers said he put the dot right between the suspect's eyes for a CNS hit but didn't take into account the mechanical offset at that distance. So the round hit 1.5 inches low entering just below the nose, where the nose and upper lip meet. It blows out a lot of his teeth and there was quite a bit of blood loss. The second face shot must have been just above the first because his nose had a lot of damage. By the time I get their they have their med gear out and we are working on plugging him up best we can until EMS gets there.

I get a hy-fin seal on his chest wound and a tourniquet on his arm and they other guys are trying to find a bandage to put over this guys nose. EMS get there within 6 minutes and its a 10 minute ride to a level 1 trauma center. So, did the AR do it's job? Absolutely, it stopped the threat. I think more through physiological incapacitation in this situation and I think the guys teeth really impacted bullet performance. Eventually he would have bled out but I think a someone high on drugs or motivated could have stayed in the fight a bit longer. Bullet selection matters and as we all know, shot placement matters. I still carry my AR but I have my shotgun in the rack as well. Just something to think about
    Where was the exit wound for the face shots? Was it an angled shot that hit the teeth and went out the cheek or by the ear?

I've definitely repaired many people shot in the face & jaws. I don't think I've seen anyone shot straight from the front with a rifle that survived. The spine attaches to the skull at about the level of your upper front teeth if you're looking straight ahead (neck not bent up or down).

MississippiTexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2020
    Katy TX
    In the past 3-4 months I could "usually" hit Academy between 10-11am and purchase all they allow one person to purchase. Then I could visit 2 other locations and do the same. I'm thinking it's be close to a month since I've found and 9mm or .22LR anywhere. 3 Academy's, Cabela's, Field and Stream(yeah I know) and the most rare occasion that I go to BassPro looking for something else.

Heard a conversation between shopper and Academy employee the other day;

Customer: Do y'all ever get any handgun ammo in stock?

Academy Employee: Yes, we had some just today. But, if you are not in line to buy it ~8am you won't get any.

Customer: What time do y'all open?

Academy Employee: 9am.

So right now, at the Academy's I shop at you have to invest 1hr for a "maybe". Who knows? Might have to start camping out for days at a time - if even that remains a possibility.
    100% true. I showed up at an Academy Sunday morning. I arrived 0901, opened 0900. There we at least 40 people in front of me. I walked to the counter to see what they had and most was 308. No handgun ammo, no 223/556. I left.

Dimonback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Austin
    With the the communist in control is it still worth buying a AR-15

Billy
    Better to buy in pieces and assemble yourself, to learn how they function and gain troubleshooting experience. Since they could well become endangered, parts may be all you can find.

Top Bottom