Hurley's Gold

Buy sight pusher, or have someone install new sights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I bought some Ameriglo tritium sights for my Glock 17 4th gen. I thought I could at least install the front and run with that for a little while, but I'm not sure after installing it. The front sight didn't fit snug into the slot like the stock front sight did. I could rotate it a fair amount. I ended up finding a pretty straight piece of metal and tried to straighten it using that. (Think it was a lathe boring bar or something) I'm paranoid about the front sight not being straight and am thinking about paying someone to do it. I was told $35 from a store, since I didn't buy the sights from them.

Maybe this front sight will be a problem?

I still got, getting a CHL on my list. I'm not really sure what I will carry, but I will probably put some quality night sights on it. So then I would be out another $35? Should I buy a sight tool or just pay someone to do it?

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Gun Zone Deals

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    FWIW, I was in the same boat last week in regards to installing ameriglo sights on a bare brownells G19 slide. I researched tools, then reached out to www.primarymachine.com to inquire about cerakote and they said that they would install my sights and slide completion kit at no charge after coating. For $55 total including insured freight both ways, I get a fresh coat of Sniper Grey cerakote, sights installed, and slide parts installed. Shortly after shipping my slide I had a buddy offer to lend me his tool...go figure! I've had machine work performed at Primary Machine and find their work, customer service, and turnaround time to be top notch. If only I could find a Houston based shop that works on their level at their prices.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Most aftermarket for the Glock are not a perfect fit the front is cut is Slotted; Loctite 262 in place and clamp in soft/padded Vice jaws to straighten.

I used a clamp on smooth Jaw vice with aluminum plates before I ever had a 4” bench vice.

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Well how many times do you think are you going to change sights. There's your math question, pay somebody those one or two times vs. buy a sight pusher.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    I pay a competent gunsmith. I'd rather not have my pistols be guinea pigs whilst I learn how to install sights.

Gunsmith had to learn somehow, besides we are talking about a cheap pair of Sights not filing on the slide dovetail.

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Last edited:

napalmsloth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2018
    Beaumont
    I bought this from Fisher. It’s easy and works well. About to change the sights on my G43, and am set up to change some sights for some friends. I think it was around $60. So not expensive at all.
    nQl0rHi.jpg

Cheers!!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Full size Glock sights are simple

You need a Glock front sight tool or you can take a cheap 1/4" deep socket and grind it down...I've dont both. It's much easier to buy the tool
    The rear sights only need a brass punch
    I take the slide off and put it in a vice and just use the punch and a jewelers hammer

Fishhog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    East of Dallas
    I've run into loose fitting front sights on Glocks and it's an easy fix. I put a small dot of epoxy in the slot with it and tighten the nut on the bottom. After the epoxy dries, it has nowhere to go and will stay there indefinitely. Should you decide to change out the sight somewhere in the future, just tap the epoxy out with a punch and you are back to square one.

Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    I kind of had to buy one. I’ve called around about putting night sights on my Steyr M9 but no one would do it because they are not Steyr armorers. The price for the tools are completely reasonable. Not too mention that I have some other pistols that I’d like to change the sights on.

A few years back a friend of mine went to a gun shop to have sights put on his Beretta Storm. When he got it back it looked like someone took a hammer to the slide. After seeing that I figured I’d learn to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I kind of had to buy one. I’ve called around about putting night sights on my Steyr M9 but no one would do it because they are not Steyr armorers. The price for the tools are completely reasonable. Not too mention that I have some other pistols that I’d like to change the sights on.

A few years back a friend of mine went to a gun shop to have sights put on his Beretta Storm. When he got it back it looked like someone took a hammer to the slide. After seeing that I figured I’d learn to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good thinking!

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I bought this from Fisher. It’s easy and works well. About to change the sights on my G43, and am set up to change some sights for some friends. I think it was around $60. So not expensive at all.
    View attachment 140836

Cheers!!
    Purchased on as well for my Glock 40 MOS to install Silencer height sights. Pretty easy to use. Pay for itself with every sight change you do.

Top Bottom