• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Executive Order 13788 of April 18, 2017 (Buy American and Hire American), and in Executive Order 13858 of January 31, 2019 stressed buying American made goods and of course hiring Americans. Why is the US Military buying Sig Sauer M17/M18 handguns? Why are foreign companies being considered when the military searches for upgrading weapons? Why Italian before that (M92)?
    Capitol Armory ad

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    The Beretta was only accepted if it was made here in U.S. They built a plant with Americans and staffed it with Americans. I would bet that the same or similar was done with the Sigs.
    The US wanted to supply Israel with Tavors and IWI had to build a plant here for the manufacture of the rifles.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Why is the US Military buying Sig Sauer M17/M18 handguns?

Because they're made in America

Sig is pretty much bankrupt everywhere except in the USA. Sig USA is pretty much Sig. Sure, the corporation is still based in Germany and largely German-owned, but one step at a time, right?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Because they're made in America

Sig is pretty much bankrupt everywhere except in the USA. Sig USA is pretty much Sig. Sure, the corporation is still based in Germany and largely German-owned, but one step at a time, right?

Interesting.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    The whole 'buy American, just because it's American" thing is dumb anyways. Just because it's made in America by Americans doesn't mean it's the best. When it comes to the military, we should be purchasing the best available at the best price, because it's the best, regardless of who designed and makes it. If that company then wants to build a factory here and hire workers then fine, as long as the quality remains at the highest standard possible. I follow that mantra as well. I don't care who makes it or where, as long as it is the best possible product that can be produced. It's why I carry HK :)

As an aside, does anyone know of a purely American manufacturer that even makes pistols that meet the standards and requirements listed for the new service pistol?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The whole 'buy American, just because it's American" thing is dumb anyways. Just because it's made in America by Americans doesn't mean it's the best. When it comes to the military, we should be purchasing the best available at the best price, because it's the best, regardless of who designed and makes it. If that company then wants to build a factory here and hire workers then fine, as long as the quality remains at the highest standard possible. I follow that mantra as well. I don't care who makes it or where, as long as it is the best possible product that can be produced. It's why I carry HK :)

As an aside, does anyone know of a purely American manufacturer that even makes pistols that meet the standards and requirements listed for the new service pistol?
    I don't buy firearms made by companies that hate me.

Companies move here to get those contracts. How is that a bad thing?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

When supplying our military it’s important to ensure that we will not be dependent on a foreign nation to supply our weapons in a time of war.

Imagine how it goes if some European nation is supplying our combat rifles when a WW2 scenario happens and the nation is either overrun or is now far more concerned with their own defense than supplying ours.

For that reason alone we should be manufacturing our military equipment at home as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

S&W.

You can argue that it didn't meet the standards, but as we saw with sig, a price tag makes a big difference

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

The problem is that if the parts are made by your enemy ( ie China), they can cut you off. Same with medicines. We need to be able to make our own.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Never said it was. In fact, I said this about your very point: "If that company then wants to build a factory here and hire workers then fine, as long as the quality remains at the highest standard possible."

No where do I say its a bad thing.

I don't buy firearms made by companies that hate me.

Companies move here to get those contracts. How is that a bad thing?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom