• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Am I the only one that feels a tinge of sadness when I have to burn an old flag after it has flown and somewhat tattered? I used to pay big bucks for the highest quality flag I could buy but, since moving to East Texas, the wind and the other elements here really take a toll on flags, especially those left out 24/7 like mine. I used to bring mine in at night and during storms, but I put up lights and just let them go because there is something about looking out the window at night and seeing the flag fly that makes me feel good, plus seeing Old Glory stretched out straight in a 30 mph wind is the way I think it was intended to be.

I buy several decent quality, made in America, flags at a time and replace them as soon as they show any tattering, fraying or tears. I store the used ones in the garage until the Fall when it is acorn season. Today, I have about 1/4 of my burn barrel smoldering with acorns from the full barrel I started two days ago. I cut some dead wood out of my live oak and then started a roaring blaze that shot flames a foot out of the top of the barrel then tossed each flag in so they burned instantly which I feel is the best way.

Still, I hate burning the flag of my fathers, but I know it is the proper way to dispose of them.
    Guns International

madwildcat

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    I remember doing the flag burning ceremonies as as Boy Scout out in East Texas. It was a solemn experience that made it very apparent who had been taught to respect the flag and what it stood for, and who saw nothing but a piece of fabric. I think you forefathers would be proud that you still make the effort to dispose of the flag properly.

ronbwolf

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    In Scouts it was an "Order of the Arrow," duty., and a solemn ceremony. At the time, 1960's we were told that only the Scouts, and the Military could legally dispose of flags this way. So long as it is thoughtful, solemn, and quick I think you are doing it right.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Still, I hate burning the flag of my fathers, but I know it is the proper way to dispose of them.
    Thank you so much, not only for the proper disposal but also for this thread.
    I've disposed of 2 USA Flags, both through the American Legion.

It pains me as I travel the state to see Old Glory, all too often in absolutely deplorable condition. People mean well but they don't "SEE" what is right in front of them.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Am I the only one that feels a tinge of sadness when I have to burn an old flag after it has flown and somewhat tattered? I used to pay big bucks for the highest quality flag I could buy but, since moving to East Texas, the wind and the other elements here really take a toll on flags, especially those left out 24/7 like mine. I used to bring mine in at night and during storms, but I put up lights and just let them go because there is something about looking out the window at night and seeing the flag fly that makes me feel good, plus seeing Old Glory stretched out straight in a 30 mph wind is the way I think it was intended to be.

I buy several decent quality, made in America, flags at a time and replace them as soon as they show any tattering, fraying or tears. I store the used ones in the garage until the Fall when it is acorn season. Today, I have about 1/4 of my burn barrel smoldering with acorns from the full barrel I started two days ago. I cut some dead wood out of my live oak and then started a roaring blaze that shot flames a foot out of the top of the barrel then tossed each flag in so they burned instantly which I feel is the best way.

My late husband and I burned them all of the time back east.

We had a Made in the USA American Flag up with lights shining on it 24/7 too. We had a POW/MIA flag up too.

We had a tall and extra heavy flag pole that my husband made and I painted.

Cate

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    There's not a lot that I can say, that others haven't already said.

In some ways, I see retiring a flag, done in a similar manner as burying a veteran that served our country. Done with dignity, humility and with the respect it deserves for representing our country.

God Bless America.

flag.jpg

Reactions: JCC
    Top Bottom