• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    So just to keep this going..

I picked up a 15Lb brisket yesterday. I already have probably 8 or 10lbs of bacon in the deep freeze. My plan of attack will be to fully trim down the brisket. Separate soft and hard fat into 2 piles, trimmed beef into another. Once grind the brisket meat. Weigh and grind the soft fat and bacon to get a 80% beef to bacon/fat mix and grind that again.

I plan on leaving a couple pounds vacuum sealed and frozen. I am also going to try and pre-brown and pressure can some of it as plain ground beef and some as taco meat.

Ideally I will have ground beef at 3.50 to 3.75 a pound. Hopefully the pressure canning works to keep some of it shelf stable for a couple years. Name of the game is buy it cheap and stack it deep. After snow-ma-geddon I am doubting my long term storage of frozen food. I am going to start shifting to pressure canned mush instead.

As to the hard fat, the better half was talking something about pemmican. I have to read up a bit more into old timey stuff. It is something like rendered tallow, dried meat and berries. Not fully sure on that though.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Suet is better to render. Suet is loin & kidney fat. Pemmican is great when made correctly. Made it as a youngster as backpacking food.

Next you need to learn about Confit! A big crock of pork confit and another of duck is big time fancy!

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Suet is better to render. Suet is loin & kidney fat. Pemmican is great when made correctly. Made it as a youngster as backpacking food.

Next you need to learn about Confit! A big crock of pork confit and another of duck is big time fancy!
    Suet is what we set out for the birds with seed mixed in in Minnesota when I was a kid. Are you talking beef or pork loin fat?

The pemmican is something that came up as we (wife and kids) are trying to look longer term. All you old folks need to push your grand folks info down. Most of it is getting lost and hard to track down. I am just winging it...

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Pemmican can be made with just about anything you can dehydrate and mix together that will store without refrigeration.
    Dehydrated fruit, LEAN meats, nuts, beans and tubers. Such as pinto beans and potato.
    One thing to remember is you need LOTS of water with it and you only eat small amounts at a time. NOT until you are full.
    Pecans, roasted peanuts and walnuts have lots of god for you stuff. Pine nuts too but they are a pain to process yourself. Expensive if you by them.
    IIRC, pine needles are safe to eat and give you a green veggy too.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Suet is what we set out for the birds with seed mixed in in Minnesota when I was a kid. Are you talking beef or pork loin fat?

The pemmican is something that came up as we (wife and kids) are trying to look longer term. All you old folks need to push your grand folks info down. Most of it is getting lost and hard to track down. I am just winging it...

Beef fat. Pork fat is lard and lamb fat is lanolin. All fat has important uses. Suet is also used in old European recipes. English Yorkshire pudding comes to mind.

Pemmican iirc was made originally created by American Indians. The early fur trappers learned it from them. History has a way of repeating itself!

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Holy heck that it would be a year later. I finally un-thawed the brisket from the deep freeze. Cut, trimmed and ground. I got a cheap aftermarket grinder for the kitchenaid. All metal.

My oldest boy helped cut and grind. All in all, ended up with 6.5 lbs of ground brisket. Used the softer fat to get a 90% ratio.

Made burgers for dinner. They were good. I part browned the rest to make ground brisket tacos at a later date.

I didn't get a pic of the grinder attached as I had burger hands and wasn't trying to use the phone.

When I do it again, I will work the fat ratio a bit.
    9a4b940fb3ac65735e04fa9326053776.jpg
    eefa4f5a1cbbd351c9d8364b914a59fa.jpg
    ef70a2fd9e43251b20336c5bf19b13bc.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Personally, I don't like 80% for hamburgers. Too lean for me and does not provide enough flavor. YMMV.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Personally, I don't like 80% for hamburgers. Too lean for me and does not provide enough flavor. YMMV.
    80/20 is probably the leanest you would want for a burger. I have tried 70/30 for burgers, but that is just too fat for my tastes. Lots of flare-ups while grilling and the patties shrink too much after cooking. For me, I sometimes mix some 80/20 with spicy pork sausage and make patties. adds a little more fat, and flavor.

Pork sausage and ground venison make really good burgers too.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My dad fed us these grease fried burger he would make in this big ass skillet. The burger simmered in their own grease wwith an onion browning in the grease. Then he would cover the top & steam the buns as the burgers cooked.

I like all kinds of different ways to eat burgers and these might be old school midwestern burgers. I have even had some greasy ass burgers that were fried then put ito a metal coffee can & the grease poured over, they were then reheated on a hot grill. Even ate burger that were cooking on a car manifold in foil, lots of onion and cheese in the foil.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Grinding briskets was just something most meat cutters I worked with did when briskets were on sale cheap! Doing it yourself is the best way to do it. Big commercial grinders can rob you of your yield more so then doing it yourself. When I stopped working company policy was to wash out the grinder after every grind. The problem being if it's washed rinsed then sanitized the sanitizer needed to air dry. I would explain that to people and they generally got pissed off. The old customer is always right might result in getting the shits!

Ground meat had changed over the years I worked. When I started my first time on the band saw was cutting frozen bull meat. It could be mixed or ground straight depending on what was needed. Trim from everything processed was the basis of the ground meat. We use to get 3 part chucks which was the chuck, shoulder/arm & the garbage bag (neck meat). Garbage bags might pile up during a chuck add. They need additional work to get them lean.

At some point "box Beef " what most large chains cut got leaner. Packing house labor is cheaper then a meat cutters & shipping less white meat(fat) made more sense. Packing house also started cranking out more tube beef for retail grinds. I first seen that when Country of Origin labeling started under Bush II. That's when I also seen the imported tubes hit in a big way. You would think we slaughtered enough beef to supply ground beef, but Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Uraguay, Brazil, Honduras & Australia started showing up. And its not just ground beef!

Factory meat processing ships leave one place with livestock that processed along the way. Lamb, grass fed beef & halal beef are pretty common this way.

Some chains got away from labeling ground beef as chuck, sirloin & ground round in favor of the fat to lean ratio. The names were just feel good names as most meat was trim from the days production separated out into 2 different pile 80% & lean trim.

The guy that hired me told me first thing that a meat department was only as good as it's ground beef! I worked for Randall's start to finish no matter how owned them. Really Randall's ceased to exist years ago when they got sued for an EEOC suit and again over their ESOP suit. Now I'm driving 45 minutes to an H-E-B store in Mexia. Not only for their meat, but it's almost like it was when I started out. I doubt I would ever walk into a Randall's for any reason. Safeway & now Albertsons or who ever might own them were nasty stores during Randall's peak.
    I just saw this from a year ago, but it brought back some memories. If I recall, the summer of 73 or 74, one of my first indoor jobs was a helper in the butcher dept of a local small town IGA store. hey brought in sides from the local slaughterhouse, and broke them down from there. They kept a supply of "boxed beef" for when the trim grind was too high in fat. Even back then, Australian beef was supposedly kangaroo meat.

As a side bar, me and the produce kid both got fired in a moment of anger by the butcher (he was family) for damaging several ides of beef.

You see, the other kid's grandfather gave us a few lessons on how throw knives. We took our breaks for a few days in the meat cooler, sharing a quick shared cigarette, and practicing sticking knives into the hanging sides. When the butcher got to the two sides that we had been using for targets, we got fired. I still cant believe it, but they said the entire sides had to be ground only.

We both got called back later, but we had found other jobs and driver's licenses by then.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I just saw this from a year ago, but it brought back some memories. If I recall, the summer of 73 or 74, one of my first indoor jobs was a helper in the butcher dept of a local small town IGA store. hey brought in sides from the local slaughterhouse, and broke them down from there. They kept a supply of "boxed beef" for when the trim grind was too high in fat. Even back then, Australian beef was supposedly kangaroo meat.

As a side bar, me and the produce kid both got fired in a moment of anger by the butcher (he was family) for damaging several ides of beef.

You see, the other kid's grandfather gave us a few lessons on how throw knives. We took our breaks for a few days in the meat cooler, sharing a quick shared cigarette, and practicing sticking knives into the hanging sides. When the butcher got to the two sides that we had been using for targets, we got fired. I still cant believe it, but they said the entire sides had to be ground only.

We both got called back later, but we had found other jobs and driver's licenses by then.
    I never knew a meat cutter to leave their knives laying around. Messing with a guys knives is generally reason enough to fire someone. I remember one of the cleaning guys thinking it was ok to use someones knives to scrap gum off the floor while buffing it. Someone accidentally spilled liver blood on him, then a guy with an torn open bag of flour ran into him. Bags of flour on wet people was common when I started.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I never knew a meat cutter to leave their knives laying around. Messing with a guys knives is generally reason enough to fire someone. I remember one of the cleaning guys thinking it was ok to use someones knives to scrap gum off the floor while buffing it. Someone accidentally spilled liver blood on him, then a guy with an torn open bag of flour ran into him. Bags of flour on wet people was common when I started.
    I don't recall if he had a special set of knives or not. On the trim tables side, I remember a holder of a lot (6-10 ?) approx 6" or so. I remember we had to change knives often for no cross contamination.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom