• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I love a good hamburger! My criteria for what i consider a great burger isn't difficult. I want a juicy, firm and flavorful patty of meat. If it has cheese, I want it almost gooey. (is that even a word?) I don't want an over-abundance of vegetables, and I want a good bun that is firm, but still soft.

One of the reasons I like my burgers I grill at the house is the bit of smoky wood flavor it gives the meat while cooking.

And condiments? I like simple. If i'm having a cheeseburger, then I want mustard to give a little bit of tang to offset the cheese flavor. If just a plain burger, then I want the sweeter flavor of Miracle Whip. and I mean Miracle Whip, and not mayo! Ketchup IMO doesn't belong on a burger, but on fries or onion rings! Just the way I see it.

Sides? Most of the time, I like fries. Salty! Now if a place has hand battered onion rings. I love them! Sonic breaded onions are okay. Not bad, but surely not great.

Now for the most part, as far as fast food joints, the closest that comes to my criteria, and is pretty consistent no matter what city i'm in is WhataBurger. Sonic pulls a close second for me as well, and i can find them just about anywhere i happen to be.

But some of the best burger joints are the little mom and pop places in most small towns. We use to have several here that have gone, but still have couple of them left. gone, but not forgotten are, Ralph's Drive-In, Hecks Drive-In, Hot Rod's Burger, and Texas Burger. still around here are, The Hamburger Bar, Chip's Burger Village, Lone Star Grill, The Rusty Cactus Grill, City Street Cafe, Harcat & Lou's Diner, and The Blue Store.

My ranking for out of town eating and having to pick a fast food burger place. from best to worst:

1) Whataburger.
    2) Sonic.
    3) Wendy's.
    4) Dairy Queen.
    5) Jack In The Box.
    6) Burger King.
    7) McDonalds.
    8) A&W

Honorable mention, because i don't get the frequent these as much, unless i'm out of town.

1) Carl's Jr./Hardee's
    2) Red Robin
    3) In-N-Out Burgers.
    4) Checker's/Rally's
    5) Fuddrucker's
    6) Steak n" Shake.
    7) Five Guys.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Smashburger aint bad for a corporation burger, but they do use ketchup. Grew up yankee ketchup is common on a burger. I like it as it envokes memories.
    A great burger is the one you never set down. Fries & onion rings are not needed as those calories are best blowm on a malt or shake.

Axxe have you ever been to Burger Bar in Palestine? I ate many a burger there with a buddy. Not sure how the place stays open. Last time I was up that way we at at a donut shop/bakery on 84 that I liked.
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...Reviews-Jocelyn_s_Donuts-Palestine_Texas.html

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I like everyone being able to go wild with a burger and making it exactly what they want.

Except mcdonald's. Blech. But... crap, now I'm remembering how much I liked their burger-scented mush as a kid and kind of crave one.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Dang, Axxe, you must be hungry. All these food posts.

Fast food is Whataburger for me.

Old fashioned, Cupps in Waco (hope they are still in business).

Expensive burgers: Fudd's is okay, Twisted Root.

Had a good local joint, but the virus hysteria has put them out of business.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Axxe you need to come over and I will make you some elk and axis deer burgers on the egg grill. They taste amazing with some pepper jack cheese and Rib Rack BBQ original or bourbon

Check this company out if you want some premium all natural bbq sauce. They sell at brookshires:
    https://www.ribrack.com/index.html

Honey: Chicken
    Original: Beef + venison
    Bourbon: Beef + venison

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    We haven’t eaten out except about 3 times since March. Now it’s been several years since I had one but Texas Burger with the Nolan Ryan beef are some really tasty burgers. Just not enough of them around.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I don't really eat many burgers these days, but even when I did, I still preferred my own "deluxe" burger.

1.5 lbs 92% lean beef
    1/3 cup real bacon bits (I made my own...used thick cut bacon, cooked 2/3 way to crisp, chopped fine)
    1/4 sweet onion, minced fine
    1 med jalapeño, deseeded, chopped fine
    2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp lemon pepper
    1 pack Lipton Onion Soup dry mix
    1 Tbsp worsteshire sauce

To cook:

- Mix all ingredients well using your hands, and form patties and place in refrigerator for 4 hours minimum, up to overnight.
    - 30-60 minutes prior to cooking, remove patties from fridge and let sit on counter to warm to room temp
    - Cook as a normal burger. My FAVORITE way to cook these is in a cast iron skillet in lightly browned butter!

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Axxe you need to come over and I will make you some elk and axis deer burgers on the egg grill. They taste amazing with some pepper jack cheese and Rib Rack BBQ original or bourbon

Check this company out if you want some premium all natural bbq sauce. They sell at brookshires:

I’ve seen these rubs at my Brookshires but I haven’t tried them yet. I bet I buy some on my next trip to the store.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Smashburger aint bad for a corporation burger, but they do use ketchup. Grew up yankee ketchup is common on a burger. I like it as it envokes memories.
    A great burger is the one you never set down. Fries & onion rings are not needed as those calories are best blowm on a malt or shake.

Axxe have you ever been to Burger Bar in Palestine? I ate many a burger there with a buddy. Not sure how the place stays open. Last time I was up that way we at at a donut shop/bakery on 84 that I liked.
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...Reviews-Jocelyn_s_Donuts-Palestine_Texas.html
    If you are talking about the Hamburger Bar that's close to downtown, yes, I have eaten there many times over the years. It's been there as far back as I can remember. They serve an awesome breakfast. Their burgers are considered some of the best in Palestine!

Jocelyn's I haven't tried yet. We don't usualy get to that side of town as much anymore. That use to be a Methodist church!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Dude, if you lived closer I'd sure be over! I have had elk burgers before. Simply amazing!

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I don't really eat many burgers these days, but even when I did, I still preferred my own "deluxe" burger.

1.5 lbs 92% lean beef
    1/3 cup real bacon bits (I made my own...used thick cut bacon, cooked 2/3 way to crisp, chopped fine)
    1/4 sweet onion, minced fine
    1 med jalapeño, deseeded, chopped fine
    2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp lemon pepper
    1 pack Lipton Onion Soup dry mix
    1 Tbsp worsteshire sauce

To cook:

- Mix all ingredients well using your hands, and form patties and place in refrigerator for 4 hours minimum, up to overnight.
    - 30-60 minutes prior to cooking, remove patties from fridge and let sit on counter to warm to room temp
    - Cook as a normal burger. My FAVORITE way to cook these is in a cast iron skillet in lightly browned butter!

That's a meatloaf!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If you are talking about the Hamburger Bar that's close to downtown, yes, I have eaten there many times over the years. It's been there as far back as I can remember. They serve an awesome breakfast. Their burgers are considered some of the best in Palestine!

Jocelyn's I haven't tried yet. We don't usualy get to that side of town as much anymore. That use to be a Methodist church!

Had plenty of breakfast there too.

Top Bottom