• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Speaking of perspective....being more cautious over a virus that spreads easier than the seasonal flu and that humanity has never seen and has no known immunity for doesn't seem like a horrible idea. I mean alternatively, I guess we could go A Modest Proposal on it and ensure it gets into every assisted living facility and over 60 population center possible. That might actually accelerate the demise of the virus and it would be a boost to social security and Medicare...

Once more for gusto:

As though humanity has never experienced a bug that has never been seen before?? How many times have we gone through this, just in the last 40 years?

Again, you assume it spreads easier. Actually, that could be a benefit if we reach herd immunity quicker.

Had you read any of my posts on this topic, you would know that I have always said we need to protect the high risk population. Don't be stupid and imply I ever proposed otherwise. We just don't need to cause so much human damage overreacting.

Please tell me if you have stopped driving your car and riding in vehicles.

Once more for gusto:
    PERSPECTIVE!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Over 7700 Americans die every day.

Death is a part of human existence.

The death of a loved one is always painful, regardless of the cause.

Nearly 650,000 Americans die from heart disease every year. Do we require every person carry a defibrillator? Do we force people to follow certain diets (not that some of the liberal states aren't trying)? Do we force people to exercise? After all, nearly all these deaths are preventable. And one can't put a value on human life.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Nearly 650,000 Americans die from heart disease every year. Do we require every person carry a defibrillator? Do we force people to follow certain diets (not that some of the liberal states aren't trying)? Do we force people to exercise? After all, nearly all these deaths are preventable. And one can't put a value on human life.
    Exactly.
    Even if it saves just ONE life... (where have we heard that before?)

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    As though humanity has never experienced a bug that has never been seen before??

Of course. I think there was some little flu back in 1918-1920. H1N1 has flared up a few times since then but we haven't had a true world wide pandemic since. Life wasn't exactly normal during that time.

Again, you assume it spreads easier.

Assume? No. Assert based on current known data? Yes.

Had you read any of my posts on this topic, you would know that I have always said we need to protect the high risk population. Don't be stupid and imply I ever proposed otherwise. We just don't need to cause so much human damage overreacting.

I have read everything you've written and I never said you didn't. I made a Jonathan Swift reference that I thought you would have picked up. I never said you advocated for it. The fact is though that unless we completely lock away Males over 60 and other vulnerable populations in a protective bubble, allowing the virus to spread unchecked throughout the rest of the population exposes them to more risk. That's simple numbers.

I'm not sure you've read any of my posts since you seem to keep missing that I think we are going way too far as a society. Intentionally gathering in large groups right now strikes me as stupid but I don't think we should be shutting down our economy either. There must be a balance that doesn't cripple us.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I'm not sure you've read any of my posts since you seem to keep missing that I think we are going way too far as a society. Intentionally gathering in large groups right now strikes me as stupid but I don't think we should be shutting down our economy either. There must be a balance that doesn't cripple us.
    And yet, at this point, we are already talking about how we're going to get back to "normal", if that is even possible. At some point, people will need to go out, meet, interact. You know, be human.
    We have to start sometime.
    How about we come up with some common-sense rules to enable that to happen? Maybe something like:
    * You assume the risk when you go out into a crowded environment
    * Take some initial safety steps: if you are running a fever, have a cough, don't go.
    * Wear a mask, even if they "don't work"
    * No handshakes
    * Try to maintain a minimum of separation (this likely will need to be less than 6 feet)
    * Once home, disinfect yourself and wash your clothes.
    * If you develop any symptoms at any time, self-quarantine
    I think that many here agree that the steps taken were too draconian. And now they are trying to justify the panic by calling every death "Covid-19". We need to keep our eyes open, see what is really going on, and use some common sense moving forward.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    The car analogy holds as much water as saying lots of people die every year from gunshots but we don't stop shooting them.
    Yep. You cannot compare absolute numbers of deaths. Death rates are the way to compare. What percentage of drivers & passengers died? What percentage of COVID patients die?

I still think we're going too far with COVID.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yep. You cannot compare absolute numbers of deaths. Death rates are the way to compare. What percentage of drivers & passengers died? What percentage of COVID patients die?

I still think we're going too far with COVID.
    We are hearing that "one death is too many" from a variety of politicians as justification for the overreaction. The politicians are not talking in terms of death rates. In that light, the analogy is most pertinent.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Of course. I think there was some little flu back in 1918-1920. H1N1 has flared up a few times since then but we haven't had a true world wide pandemic since. Life wasn't exactly normal during that time.

Assume? No. Assert based on current known data? Yes.

I have read everything you've written and I never said you didn't. I made a Jonathan Swift reference that I thought you would have picked up. I never said you advocated for it. The fact is though that unless we completely lock away Males over 60 and other vulnerable populations in a protective bubble, allowing the virus to spread unchecked throughout the rest of the population exposes them to more risk. That's simple numbers.

We are not going to agree on this, and that is perfectly okay.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Here is a analogy.
    The current course of action is not much different than letting all criminals out of jail and locking up any identified honest people to keep them safe from the criminals.
    Oh, wait, there are those in power that would love to do just that.
    Oh shit, wait again, they are letting some of them out. And there are people that are being charged for not being "voluntarily locked up".
    My bad.
    The Constitution allows for removing from society those that are a danger to society. There is NO provision in the Constitution that I know of that allows the government to lock up society to protect them from illness or anything else.
    I would have much less problem quarantining positive cases and, at least for short term, those in contact with them. The effects to persons and the economy would be far, far less and just as effective.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom