• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Bundy takes the lead in Idaho to violate stay at home order to have Easter Services.

"Bundy said in an interview that a group in the Boise area was looking for a venue to host an Easter service this weekend with a potential crowd of 1,000 people. Bundy said a man in Twin Falls hoped to host communion in a park. And Bundy himself is now leading regular meetings with dozens of people to assess how to fight back against what he calls government overreach, including with a physical presence if necessary.

“I will be there, and I will bring as many people as I can,” he told those who attended the meeting he convened March 26, a day after the statewide stay-at-home order went into effect. “We will form a legal defense for you. We will perform an active political defense for you. And we will also, if necessary, provide a physical defense for you, so that you can continue in your rights.”

https://news.yahoo.com/liberty-rebellion-idaho-threatens-undermine-190245970.html
    Target Sports

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Might as well get there sooner rather than later.

I think there is merit in flattening the curve to not completely overwhelm the local medical resources, especially in lesser equipped areas. Of course if that massive spike never comes, it's hard to prove that distancing measures helped or not. But considering how easily this transmits, logically they help.

I don't agree with the level of what is currently being done and the long term damage to our economy is going to be astounding.

That said, voluntarily gathering in a group of 1,000 sounds rather foolhardy at this stage of the outbreak.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Bundy is extremely reckless doing this. One way not to catch Coronavirus is to not be exposed. Doesn't take a lot of brains to figure that out. There will eventually be a vaccine to protect against future outbreaks. Purposely gathering into large crowds is a disaster in the making. This is stupider than the families that have chicken pox parties for their kids rather than vaccinating. All those kids can delight in their future Shingles.

The government does have the right to quarantine for the health of the population and it is not a violation of civil liberties. Are we taking the best step, I don't know? Do I want to congregate with people that may expose my family to a virus that can kill us, no. I don't want to be exposed to flu or Covid19 or rabies or rattlesnake venom. Lots of things that can kill me I try to avoid. I know there are those churches that play with rattlesnakes, not for me and seem pretty dumb. As long as they don't affect me though I don't really care. Bundy creating a new epicenter though could affect all of us.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    As long as the high risk people (e.g., elderly, those with serious health issues) stay away, I don't see any problem at all.

The problem of course is then it increases the likelihood that it spreads further and can further expose those more vulnerable (ie males over 60 which is a high percentage of those posting here).

I don't believe that has been established.

Of course the numbers evolve as better and more data comes in so we can only work on our current understanding but it seems season flu and H1N1 have an r0 (reproduction factor) of 1.2 - 1.5.

https://journals.lww.com/imd/Fulltext/2019/09000/A_Severe_Seasonal_Influenza_Epidemic_During.4.aspx

The 2009 H1N1 r0 was 1.4-1.6. The Spanish flu was between 1.4 and 2.8 (that's a huge range but data isn't great).

https://www.healthline.com/health/r-nought-reproduction-number

So far, best estimates show the r0 for Coronavirus (SARS-COV-2) to be around 2.2 which would make it easier to spread than the seasonal flu.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554776/

Will that hold when it's all said and done? Who knows. Note though I did not compare lethality to the seasonal flu. There seem to be too many undetected infections for me to have an informed opinion on that.

Based on this, I don't think that gathering in huge groups is a good idea right now.

But I will repeat for emphasis what I said earlier:

I don't agree with the level of what is currently being done and the long term damage to our economy is going to be astounding.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The problem of course is then it increases the likelihood that it spreads further and can further expose those more vulnerable (ie males over 60 which is a high percentage of those posting here).
    Until we get to the "herd immunity" it is going to continue spreading regardless. The quicker we get to herd immunity, the fewer fatalities.

Of course the numbers evolve as better and more data comes in so we can only work on our current understanding but it seems season flu and H1N1 have an r0 (reproduction factor) of 1.2 - 1.5.

https://journals.lww.com/imd/Fulltext/2019/09000/A_Severe_Seasonal_Influenza_Epidemic_During.4.aspx

The 2009 H1N1 r0 was 1.4-1.6. The Spanish flu was between 1.4 and 2.8 (that's a huge range but data isn't great).

https://www.healthline.com/health/r-nought-reproduction-number

So far, best estimates show the r0 for Coronavirus (SARS-COV-2) to be around 2.2 which would make it easier to spread than the seasonal flu.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554776/

Will that hold when it's all said and done? Who knows.

Based on this, I don't think that gathering in huge groups is a good idea right now.

But I will repeat for emphasis what I said earlier:

All that to say we don't know.

Last flu season killed 46,000. We didn't cripple our economy and society over that.

40,000 die in vehicle accidents. We don't quit driving.

PERSPECTIVE.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Bundy is extremely reckless doing this. One way not to catch Coronavirus is to not be exposed. Doesn't take a lot of brains to figure that out. There will eventually be a vaccine to protect against future outbreaks. Purposely gathering into large crowds is a disaster in the making. This is stupider than the families that have chicken pox parties for their kids rather than vaccinating. All those kids can delight in their future Shingles.

The government does have the right to quarantine for the health of the population and it is not a violation of civil liberties. Are we taking the best step, I don't know? Do I want to congregate with people that may expose my family to a virus that can kill us, no. I don't want to be exposed to flu or Covid19 or rabies or rattlesnake venom. Lots of things that can kill me I try to avoid. I know there are those churches that play with rattlesnakes, not for me and seem pretty dumb. As long as they don't affect me though I don't really care. Bundy creating a new epicenter though could affect all of us.
    Actually, the government can only quarantine with adequate justification. Otherwise it IS a violation of civil liberties.

Based on past government reaction (or lack thereof) to epidemics, precedent would say government has overstepped their bounds..

I don't want to be in fatal car wreck (as neither did 40,000 other Americans who were...). But I don't quit driving a car.

Did you give this same advice during the last flu season, which killed 46,000? I don't recall you doing so.

Chill. Keep things in perspective.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Until we get to the "herd immunity" it is going to continue spreading regardless. The quicker we get to herd immunity, the fewer fatalities.

We'll see how that proves out. Sweden volunteered to be a test case.

All that to say we don't know.

It's quite a bit more nuanced than that, sorry that's your only take away. No we don't know for sure what the final r0 will be but that doesn't invalidate the current data. If anything, more undetected infections will raise the r0 (but of course lower the death percentage).

Last flu season killed 46,000. We didn't cripple our economy and society over that.

40,000 die in vehicle accidents. We don't quit driving.

PERSPECTIVE.

Speaking of perspective....being more cautious over a virus that spreads easier than the seasonal flu and that humanity has never seen and has no known immunity for doesn't seem like a horrible idea. I mean alternatively, I guess we could go A Modest Proposal on it and ensure it gets into every assisted living facility and over 60 population center possible. That might actually accelerate the demise of the virus and it would be a boost to social security and Medicare...

Once more for gusto:

SQLGeek said:

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom