Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A bit of a thread bump. Despite my earlier comments, I now have a "need" for a bump helmet (non-ballistic, I already have enough of those).

I had a Ops-Core FAST I loved, but the M/L was just too small for my "enhanced" noggin and getting a L/XL from Gentex may take up to 16 weeks!

The Team Wendy EXFIL LTP has a lot going for it, made in the USA, carbon picatinny rails, Wilcox NVG mount and it's made from a strong "lightweight tactical polymer."

I have also been looking at the Hard Headed Veterans ones and they appear to be great deals, but honestly their Tactical Helmet ATE doesn't seem to measure up to the Ops Core or Team Wendy in the adjustable retention area. They also look cheaply made in comparison, especially around the venting system.

The HHV bump does surpass the Ops-Core with their magnetic chin strap latch, and aluminum (versus plastic) 3-hole mount up front.

The biggest factor is price. HHV can be had for around $200, the Ops-Core and Team Wendy offerings are another $100 more.

Finding honest reviews has been a challenge. Too many people arguing about needing ballistic coverage (the majority of which are likely airsoft players), or they focus on one helmet and its attributes instead of a comparison between several bump helmets (i.e. Ops-Core vs Team Wendy vs HHV).

There are a ton of cheap Chinese-made shit helmets on Amazon, but for the price I might as well just go and buy a skateboard helmet.

So, what says the collective wisdom/knowledge of TGT?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A bit of a thread bump. Despite my earlier comments, I now have a "need" for a bump helmet (non-ballistic, I already have enough of those).

I had a Ops-Core FAST I loved, but the M/L was just too small for my "enhanced" noggin and getting a L/XL from Gentex may take up to 16 weeks!

The Team Wendy EXFIL LTP has a lot going for it, made in the USA, carbon picatinny rails, Wilcox NVG mount and it's made from a strong "lightweight tactical polymer."

I have also been looking at the Hard Headed Veterans ones and they appear to be great deals, but honestly their Tactical Helmet ATE doesn't seem to measure up to the Ops Core or Team Wendy in the adjustable retention area. They also look cheaply made in comparison, especially around the venting system.

The HHV bump does surpass the Ops-Core with their magnetic chin strap latch, and aluminum (versus plastic) 3-hole mount up front.

The biggest factor is price. HHV can be had for around $200, the Ops-Core and Team Wendy offerings are another $100 more.

Finding honest reviews has been a challenge. Too many people arguing about needing ballistic coverage (the majority of which are likely airsoft players), or they focus on one helmet and its attributes instead of a comparison between several bump helmets (i.e. Ops-Core vs Team Wendy vs HHV).

There are a ton of cheap Chinese-made shit helmets on Amazon, but for the price I might as well just go and buy a skateboard helmet.

So, what says the collective wisdom/knowledge of TGT?
    I have a skate board helmet with shroud attached. The problem is they move around to much on ones head.

Team Wendy Carbon Exfil handles the heat better & has a nicer suspension system.
    IMG_4207.JPG
    IMG_4208.JPG
    IMG_4209.JPG

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I am still languishing on this decision. I am leaning towards the Ops-Core and finally found someone who had them in stock, but still wonder if the HHV version for $100 less is the smarter choice. The Gentex does have the NVG mount molded into the helmet versus the aluminum one attached to the HHV. I just have a tough time with how the latter appears to look more cheaply made, again due to the vents. It just reminds me of a Walmart skateboard helmet!

1619441983307.png

The Ops-Core appears to come down further on the sides which provides better coverage for my square noggin!
    1619441895858.png

The Team Wendy is nice but honestly you just don't see or hear a lot about them! Plus, they are about the same price as the Gentex.

1619442100126.png

I have decided not to pay the extra $40 for the multicam as it is easier to just buy a cover if/when I need one. The TXSG isn't too particular about matching bump helmets and

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Call or e-mail TNVC and ask them. Back when I was in the market for mine so was a buddy of mine. I’ll admit that he is smarter than me. He called TNVC and they broke it down for him. Team Wendy was better for ventilation & fit.

Just remember you are going to spend more money on pimping out you helmet. What mount you use makes a big difference too! Sure a rhino mount works, but there are much better ones.

When I think back to my PVS-7 and that funky halo/crown of thorns headset thu the other trial an error bullshit, there could be something better now.

I listed my 2 other helmets years ago and had no inquiries. The ratchet strap that held the shroud on the ballistic helmet broke. The rubber dry rotted cracked then broke.

e-bay & gunbroker are graveyards of shit people figured out was not for them.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

I just seen these on another site I frequent. I have no first hand knowledge of them.

There are a lot of helmets on the market that claim to be ballistic, but it's pure fantasy! I would like to see an independent test using a 7.62x25mm Tokarev against that helmet!

I have a couple ACHs and PASGTs if I need that level of protection, as well as a British Mk6 that tests have shown isn't as ballistic as claimed! :eek:

I am still debating on which bump helmet to buy!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Call or e-mail TNVC and ask them. Back when I was in the market for mine so was a buddy of mine. I’ll admit that he is smarter than me. He called TNVC and they broke it down for him. Team Wendy was better for ventilation & fit.

Just remember you are going to spend more money on pimping out you helmet. What mount you use makes a big difference too! Sure a rhino mount works, but there are much better ones.

When I think back to my PVS-7 and that funky halo/crown of thorns headset thu the other trial an error bullshit, there could be something better now.

I listed my 2 other helmets years ago and had no inquiries. The ratchet strap that held the shroud on the ballistic helmet broke. The rubber dry rotted cracked then broke.

e-bay & gunbroker are graveyards of shit people figured out was not for them.

I remember the two helmets you had for sale about five years or so ago, wasn't one a Pro-Tec?

I also saw the pics of your Team Wendy Exilf Carbon and will admit my envy. That is a nice set-up! Your PVS-14 is dope!

I am looking for something basic, but light and comfortable. I am still leaning towards the Ops-Core as for some reason the HHV just doesn't quite strike my fancy.

The Team Wendy EXFIL LTP is a close second but honestly I have not seen many in use. They are sharp-looking when done up right!

1619528863464.png

Of course, most Ops-Core helmets I see are copies of the real thing as well!

Decisions. Decisions...

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I went with a Protection Group Denmark ARCH ballistic helmet. I ordered it almost 3 months ago waiting on it to show up, so I can't give any personal solid info on it. Now I have to find a mount system and work on getting some PVS 14's.

Looked at OPS Core...too expensive
    Team Wendy are a bunch of Libs...pass, and too expensive.

It came down to HHV and PGD . The back deformation tests, western made, and comfort testimonies are what pushed me to PGD.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I went with a Protection Group Denmark ARCH ballistic helmet. I ordered it almost 3 months ago waiting on it to show up, so I can't give any personal solid info on it. Now I have to find a mount system and work on getting some PVS 14's.

Looked at OPS Core...too expensive
    Team Wendy are a bunch of Libs...pass, and too expensive.

It came down to HHV and PGD . The back deformation tests, western made, and comfort testimonies are what pushed me to PGD.

Yep, I forgot about that. Team Wendy may be out of the running...

I still don't buy their explanation. They were trying to suck hard off the government teat by kissing up to Hillary, and that amount of f***ery is enough for me to take my business elsewhere...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Y'all better start neck strengthening exercises for those ballistic helmet! And don't forget your head is like a thermostat. The more heat it holds will relate to body heat. Adding in the headphones only increase weight & heat. Now I own a cell phone the added cost of the headphones means even less towards communicating to others, when I can text. Headphones are not my preferred method of hearing protection because of the heat, weight and them throwing off a cheek weld in long guns.

I'll keep my Team Wendy as it was a pre-Hildabeast purchase.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Y'all better start neck strengthening exercises for those ballistic helmet! And don't forget your head is like a thermostat. The more heat it holds will relate to body heat. Adding in the headphones only increase weight & heat. Now I own a cell phone the added cost of the headphones means even less towards communicating to others, when I can text. Headphones are not my preferred method of hearing protection because of the heat, weight and them throwing off a cheek weld in long guns.

Trust me, I have no intent to wear any of my ballistic helmets if I can avoid it!

As stated, I want a bump helmet that's "basic, light and comfortable!"

I wish there was a place in San Antonio that actually had some to try on. I've tried everywhere, to include Top Brass; but no one carries them. I guess there isn't much of a demand...

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Been meaning to get a neck weight harness for a while so this will finally push me to get one. We used them in highschool body building and football.

I hike as much as I can with my loaded plate carrier too. Not sure I want to hike around with a helmet on though :D.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Trust me, I have no intent to wear any of my ballistic helmets if I can avoid it!

As stated, I want a bump helmet that's "basic, light and comfortable!"

I wish there was a place in San Antonio that actually had some to try on. I've tried everywhere, to include Top Brass; but no one carries them. I guess there isn't much of a demand...
    Call TNVC and ask what they are shipping to warmer climates.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Anything heavier than a ball cap causes me neck cramps, so I'd look very carefully at weight comparisons. You may find some great head gear that'd stop a .44 magnum, but if it's terribly heavy you may run into neck problems...

Same for body armor.

Stop a magnum ride, but at great weight to the wearer...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom