Join TexasGunTalk

Bullseye & Booze (1956)

Discussion in 'Training & Competition' started by MikePotts, Oct 19, 2019.

1. t-astragal

t-astragal Member

Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    I’ll be shooting a bullseye match tomorrow at Austin Rifle Club. The bottle of Aquafina might be Hendricks gin. Who can say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Big Green

Big Green Pew Pew TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Interesting thread, not only for the information discussed, but Ben replied three times in one thread!

All joking aside, it is an interesting topic.

Anyone ever played pool sober vs with a few drinks? I know I play better with a few. So much so, that a friend of mine used to bring me drinks to get me beyond the point of beating him and usually he was the better player.

When first in the Marines, with iron sights, I would try to avoid caffeine on range days to lessen my jitters. I can see where something that slows the body can assist in being more controlled. As it also lowers inhibitions and may make you a little more cocky and focused, it’s an interesting topic to ponder. I have wondered about this before though never looked it up to see if my thoughts have manifested into actual results. Thank you OP and Ben for the references.

3. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Younger. Before they start thinking they know something.
    Really, even if they have experience is ok. The biggest key is getting them to relax and learn. At any age.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It is not so much inhibitions as it is just to relax and NOT CARE about ANYONE else and what they are doing or how good or bad they are doing. Nothing in the world matters but the next shot.
    As far as jitters.....
    I don't care who you are or what kind of gun you shoot or what sights you have.
    Or what power scope.
    You have sight wobble. Period.
    It might wobble 1/8th inch or a foot. If you use a scope, the wobble is just as bad at 4x as it is at 10x. You just don't see it as bad. Put it in perspective and use it. Fighting it is useless.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TxStetson likes this.
  5. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    tag

6. Geezer

Geezer Available For Parties TGT Supporter

Jul 23, 2019
    South Carolina (For Now)
    Col. Askins, Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Ray Chapman, these guys were bigger than life and wrote books and articles that would really grab your attention. Sadly, no one came along to fill the shoes of these gentlemen.

7. BillFairbanks

BillFairbanks Well-Known

May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    I’m a terrible golfer, however I’ve noticed that I hit the ball better after a couple of drinks. It quiets that faint voice of doubt during the swing.

TxStetson likes this.
  8. t-astragal

t-astragal Member

Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    99433caa48ca7de8f7fabfb743a0585e.jpg

My 45 shooting wasn’t stellar today. Maybe I needed a nip of bourbon. My 22 finally settled in for the last 40 shots. Picture is of the target backer. A new target face was stapled up every 10 shots. 25 yards 5 shot strings timed and rapid fire.