• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nofir55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2016
    Katy Texas
    A question for all you seasoned bullet caster out there.
    Does anyone still finds wheel weights? I have talked to about a dozen tire shops in my area, and all of them are re using the old "clip on" weights.
    Am I just too late to the casting game? or do you have to visit 50 shops before you find one that uses lead weights?
    Any other idea's of lead sources ?
    Texas SOT

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    No, they are out there.

Google "Semi Truck Tire Repair near me".
    Thankfully, most Semi's still use the larger chunks of lead for their wheel weights, but even then I run into a zinc bar every once in a while. I too have had a hard time finding useable lead from the smaller "mom/pop" shops. They are mostly zinc and steel these days.

Call up one of the metal recycling centers in your area. They too may have a few bins with lead scrap.

Typically, $20 should get you a bucketful of lead from the truck center, but make sure to bring some coin if you go the recycling center route. They charge up to $2 per lb.

ETA - If push comes to shove, you can mine the berms at your range (if they let you).
    I shoot out here in the desert, and I found pounds and pounds of scrap lead in the sand berms. It takes some work, but well worth it.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Everything Oz said and: With steel and zinc more common it's not like it was just a few years ago. If your check on facebook marketplace, you will find the scroungers selling in the $2.00 per Lb range. There is a guy in Lindale that sells tons of it to the people that cast fishing weights and slabs with it. Search casting lead, not just wheel weights.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Hold my beer
    BE99565B-4B42-4803-B33A-64B954531F0A.jpeg

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I was cleaning out my parents closet the other day and came across 7 lead weights. I think they are a pound each. Each as a number "15" on them.
    If anyone in the DFW area near I20 and 360 wants them, they're free.

Dennyntx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2020
    Texas
    A question for all you seasoned bullet caster out there.
    Does anyone still finds wheel weights? I have talked to about a dozen tire shops in my area, and all of them are re using the old "clip on" weights.
    Am I just too late to the casting game? or do you have to visit 50 shops before you find one that uses lead weights?
    Any other idea's of lead sources ?
    Are you just looking for pure soft lead if so go to a scrap yard I just bought 30 pounds today for $21.00 they usually have a bunch of it

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Old school wherl weights are no longer used.
    Tire shops use a zinc alloy weight now.
    Shops no longer give away weights. They sell them to scrappers.
    Lead is getting more and more difficult to obtain with each passing year.
    Rotometals will have what you need but they’re pricey.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    If someone near Dallas grabs that free lead they can get what is needed to firm it up from rotometals as well.

I'll be looking at them when I start melting the roof jacks I've been scavenging!

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I don't like to use wheel weights because of the zinc in them. Best stuff I've found is old roof flashing from a recycling place.
    ^ Also old shower pans were made of good lead.

Might be worth checking with area roofers and home repair / remodelers.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    If someone near Dallas grabs that free lead they can get what is needed to firm it up from rotometals as well.

I'll be looking at them when I start melting the roof jacks I've been scavenging!
    I've still got them if anyone in south DFW wants them. I have no use for them and have no idea what the hell they're for.

Nofir55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2016
    Katy Texas
    I've still got them if anyone in south DFW wants them. I have no use for them and have no idea what the hell they're for.
    I hope someone picked it up by now :)

any way here are the findings of my recent search:

Tire shops: very rare but do exist (giving them some business may help).

Plumbers: there is not a lot of lead pipes or fittings out there anymore.

Roofers: the best source I found. Some kind of payment may get them more enthusiastic (first I thought a 6 pack, but combining roofers and alcohol may not be a very wise idea :facepalm:.

Scrap Yards: A valid and quick source of good lead, as long as you willing to pay the price, that stands at $1.00 per 1Lb. at the moment (in the Houston are).

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Has anybody ever done a deal with people demolishing an old building? If the building is old enough and was abandoned long enough, maybe there would be enough lead in the pipes and roof flashing to keep you casting for the rest of your life.

Just a thought. I'd love to hear the story if anyone has ever gotten this lucky.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Has anybody ever done a deal with people demolishing an old building? If the building is old enough and was abandoned long enough, maybe there would be enough lead in the pipes and roof flashing to keep you casting for the rest of your life.

Just a thought. I'd love to hear the story if anyone has ever gotten this lucky.
    Gotta beat the company demoing the building to get the good stuff. Once they get the contract on the demo they can sell whatever is inside.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

TheSinfulSaint

TheSinfulSaint
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    McKinney
    I was cleaning out my parents closet the other day and came across 7 lead weights. I think they are a pound each. Each as a number "15" on them.
    If anyone in the DFW area near I20 and 360 wants them, they're free.

I would be interested. PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I quit casting years ago, at the time I could get 1000 good 200gr 45 bullets for 28.00. I probably haven't cast bullets in 20 years. Still buying them. The last lead I bought was lino for .50 a pound. Used it for .44 and .357. Full loads. Too old now unless I have to later on.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I got

I got over 200# of flashing and roof jacks from the guy that owned ATLAST Construction in Garland. He was closing up shop. He was disposing of all his salvage, excess material, and equipment. Cost me a 1.75 bottle of Sky vodka, his wife's favorite.
    This was in 1998, Like tire weights the pickens are getten thin out there.

Top Bottom