• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Anyone? Anywhere? Maybe someone not charging $1.50+/round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slumpychuck,

At the risk of stating the OBVIOUS, .45ACP is VERY EASY & CHEAP to handload, using cast RN or SWC bullets & any number of CHEAP powders like UNIQUE, BULLSEYE, etc.
    (At the last SATX Gun Show 2 vendors had 200-230 grain cast bullets by the hundred & for not much more than 2-3X the cost of lead scrap.)

SIX grains of UNIQUE behind a 230 grain LRNCB works WELL for both "casual shooting" & for SD, too.

There are a GREAT NUMBER of GOOD/USED & perfectly suitable single-stage reloading presses around & available for 50 bucks or less.
    (A friend here in SATX bought a LEE "C" press with a suitable set of .45ACP dies & the LEE data book for 40 bucks at a recent garage sale.)

NOTE: As I'm well-known to be CHEAP, I scavenge once-fired cases at the ranges around SATX, scrounge wheel-weights, "mine the backstop" at a military range for lead & cast my own RNLCB. = ALL that I generally have to pay "what the market will bear" for are primers & powder.
    (A pound of UNIQUE or BULLSEYE will fill a lot of .45ACP cases. = The last time that I bothered to figure out the cost of my "hillbilly handloads", my "out of pocket" cost was about 15 cents each.= PRETTY CHEAP .45 ACP/AR shooting.)

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    slumpychuck,

At the risk of stating the OBVIOUS, .45ACP is VERY EASY & CHEAP to handload, using cast RN or SWC bullets & an number of CHEAP powders like UNIQUE, BULLSEYE, etc.
    (At the last SATX Gun Show 2 vendors had 200-230 grain cast bullets by the hundred & for not much more than 2-3X the cost of lead scrap.)

SIX grains of UNIQUE behind a 230 grain LRNCB works WELL for both "casual shooting" & for SD, too.

There are a GREAT NUMBER of GOOD/USED & perfectly suitable single-stage reloading presses around & available for 50 bucks or less.
    (A friend here in SATX bought a LEE "C" press with a suitable set of .45ACP dies & the LEE data book for 40 bucks at a recent garage sale.)

just my OPINION, satx

Problem there is if a person isn't already set up for reloading, it's pretty much cost prohibitive to get into reloading right now.

Then factor in trying to get reloading components like powder and primers, and that is assuming he has the cases for reloading.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Screenshot_20210416-234450_Samsung Internet.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    View attachment 252470

gll,

Given its massive "energy transfer on target", the BIG/SLOW-MOVING 230 grain FMJ did a FINE job of STOPPING "DRUGGED UP" MORO PIRATES & fanatic human-wave attacks of Japanese/North Koreans/CHICOMS/NVA.
    Also FMJ military ammo will feed well in most any 1911 sort of handgun.

IF you can buy .45ACP CHEAP, why spend MORE??

yours, satx

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    OP was asking for Bulk <$1.50/rnd... That's not hard to find!

Glad I don't need to buy at these prices, yet... but, we have only seen the beginning of inflation. By the end of this year, 70 cents may be only in the past.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    gll,

My NEXT major purchase will be about 10,000 primers & a couple of 8-pound jugs of powder. = That will last me a LONG time.

Cases in the calibers that I have firearms for, I have PLENTY of to last me the rest of my life.
    Scrap lead & bar solder for PBCB & GCCB will be around, if I need any more of either,.

yours, satx

Reactions: gll

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Problem there is if a person isn't already set up for reloading, it's pretty much cost prohibitive to get into reloading right now.

Then factor in trying to get reloading components like powder and primers, and that is assuming he has the cases for reloading.

Serious. I’ve had several people ask me about getting started and until components are on the market at reasonable prices it makes no sense.

I found some small primer 45 ACP brass so I can use up some of my small primers on 45. I have plenty enough to load all my 9mm and 40 cases, but the large primers are all gone. I’m determined not to pay stupid pricing for primers but with the current .gov crowd who knows what will happen.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    gll,

My NEXT major purchase will be about 10,000 primers & a couple of 8-pound jugs of powder. = That will last me a LONG time.

Cases in the calibers that I have firearms for, I have PLENTY of to last me the rest of my life.
    Scrap lead & bar solder for PBCB & GCCB will be around, if I need any more of either,.

yours, satx

Better dig deep in your wallet because that's going to be expensive as hell.

Reactions: gll

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Without powder and primers, cases and bullets are essentially useless. Both are very costly and can be quite difficult to locate currently. And that's assuming you already have the equipment to reload. Reloading equipment is out of stock in many places right now as well. And from what I have been seeing on EBAY, lot's people selling used reloading equipment know they can sell at a premium price right now, just like ammo.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    gll,

yours, satx

Do the math. 8# of powder will load 11,200 rounds at a 5 gr charge and assuming zero waste. Balance your inventory. You'll need more primers if you're loading pistol ammo with that powder. If you're loading for rifles you might be good.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Do the math. 8# of powder will load 11,200 rounds at a 5 gr charge and assuming zero waste. Balance your inventory. You'll need more primers if you're loading pistol ammo with that powder. If you're loading for rifles you might be good.

Polkwright,

Aside from the fact that I have SOME primers & powder already, IF you are talking solely about me loading .45ACP/AR, my USUAL LOAD is SIX grains of UNIQUE or a similar "multi-purpose" powder behind a 230 grain PBCB.

ADDENDA: Inasmuch as we are retiring abroad this year to a nation that doesn't allow civilians to own/possess .45ACP, I'm now getting ready to "work-up" a .38 SUPER self-defense HP cast bullet handload for a 1911 in that caliber.

yours, satx

Last edited:

JGW006

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2021
    McKinney
    I put an unopened 8 pound keg of IMR4895 on GB with a “Buy it Now” at $550, plus hazmat plus shipping plus tax (tax is a new GB thing). Someone “bought it now” in 12 hours. It came to about $620-$630 for the buyer. Absolutely nuts.

JGW

Top Bottom