• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I find this article little puzzling, Its good to give but I question what good it does for America, would it not produce more results if they were to build manufacturing plants hire employees and allow the employees to become owners over a period of years.

I serious doubt any of the wealth they give to charity will filter down to people with need, 70% will be skimmed for administrative cost, etc, I always find it puzzling that men of great wealth most made in America are so anxious to distribute their money over the third world countries it would seem they feel guilty or they resent America.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong with this thinking.

Buffett, Gates Ask Billionaires to Give Away Wealth to Charity
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't think they resent America, but let's be honest here ... if you have billions of dollars and live a life of luxury, you would have some degree of guilt for doing so when you see people living in squalor with no education, war, and disease. Sure, capitalism and making yourself are fine things, but I would be apt to help people help themselves.

Personally, I would run my own charity with that kind of money share, and the Gates family does.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    quote( I would be apt to help people help themselves.) quote

My thoughts exactly, personally in my life never wanted the rich to give me anything i just wanted the opportunity to work for my share. I believe in charity but I fear what they (gates/Buffett) present will only place money in the hands of the wrong folks, I've seen very little charity in my lifetime reach folks who really need it, I believe it only works at the grass roots level.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Take half your money and invest it so as to create more companies and more jobs. . . . Help people help themselves.

I agree, maybe they feel a little guilty . . .but I'm not going to critisize what they do with their money. Its their money. It doesn't bother me that most of their money is invested in non-taxed entities. . . thats just being rational to me.

I wouldn't like others to tell me what to do with my money. . .

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    when you see people living in squalor with no education, war, and disease.
    you just described unfortunate people in Detroit!!! and yes there's a war there. a war on drugs. so my comment is, F-CK all those GUILTED RICH FREAKS who choose to send there extra dollars to third world countries instead of keeping it all here at home!! we have just as many starving, homeless, sick and dying people here in the U.S.!! do you see any rich people from other countries sending ANY $$$ here for our poor and sick??? I THINK NOT!! we'd be a better off country and not so down and out as we are right about now, if only the rich would concentrate on FIXING THE UNITED STATES FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    you just described unfortunate people in Detroit!!! and yes there's a war there. a war on drugs. so my comment is, F-CK all those GUILTED RICH FREAKS who choose to send there extra dollars to third world countries instead of keeping it all here at home!! we have just as many starving, homeless, sick and dying people here in the U.S.!! do you see any rich people from other countries sending ANY $$$ here for our poor and sick??? I THINK NOT!! we'd be a better off country and not so down and out as we are right about now, if only the rich would concentrate on FIXING THE UNITED STATES FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1.5 billion

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

There are a wide range of people in this country that choose the life they live, and then there are people that legitimately need help. I'm all for helping the latter.

I think the apprehension in the US is that our basic standard of living is luxurious compared to many other places in the world, and that we are afforded far more opportunity than other peoples around the world. Ultimately, I don't think you can really point a finger at someone for helping people that need it ... here or otherwise. They could just sit at home counting their money, but instead they are actually out doing some good with it. Would it be nice to see them support the people in our own country that need it? Sure, but let's not forget that other people live on the Earth as well.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I would encourage them to donate it to the NRA and GOA ;)

Honestly, if I had that kind of money I'd build public libraries... Lots and lots of them. I think that would be a nice legacy to leave.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    One of the greatest gifts the wealthy can do for America is provide jobs and then charity from those jobs will continue the cycle.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    let's not forget that other people live on the Earth as well.
    this is true there SeniorTexas, BUT our country is in financial ruins by a number of things!! and one of them is from catering to and carrying other 3rd world countries!! all im saying is, put the sympathy/empathy away for ALL THE OTHER COUNTRIES right now and concentrate on OURS for the time being!!! our country is hurting right now and needs ALL the help it can get at this point in time. if we dont get our OWN country back in order, we may not be able to help anyone/ other countries in the future.......

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    this is true there SeniorTexas, BUT our country is in financial ruins by a number of things!! and one of them is from catering to and carrying other 3rd world countries!! all im saying is, put the sympathy/empathy away for ALL THE OTHER COUNTRIES right now and concentrate on OURS for the time being!!! our country is hurting right now and needs ALL the help it can get at this point in time. if we dont get our OWN country back in order, we may not be able to help anyone/ other countries in the future.......

Not trying to be argumentative, but how do you figure that? It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Even in a recession, the US outshines most countries on Earth. People can do with their money as they will. I don't see the wrong in trying to help people in other countries, especially since the majority of people in this country actually have real opportunities to advance themselves finacially. That isn't true in a lot of countries.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    I don't see the wrong in trying to help people in other countries.
    i dont either. but not at this point in time is all im saying. thats the problem partially with whats wrong with our country. your way of thinking on this topic while our country is struggling right now. Yes Billionaires can choose to help whomever they like, BUT dont you think spending 100 million dollars rebuilding a wrecked city such as detroit is better than spending that same 100 million on oh lets say Africa??? again all im trying to say is for the billionaires rebuild America first. you know, the country that afforded them to build their wealth?? and then once the U.S. is whole again, then go do all the "Feel Good Spending" on some 3rd world sh-thole....... our country is damn near broke and we still give $$$$ to other countries!! thats just foolish!!

Top Bottom