• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have an idea of a rifle I'd like to build. a budget rim-fire target rifle. now I have no real set budget, and have no set idea of what rim-fire cartridge I want to use yet. this thread is more about doing some brain-storming and getting some ideas.

I would prefer a bolt action, whether a repeater, or single-shot, really not important. a scope will probably be mandatory since you eyesight for open sights ain't the best!

I already have a couple of rifles in 22LR, and one in 17HMR, so I really lean more towards a rifle in 22WMR, maybe. and since it's a rim-fire, that means factory ammo, and I would probably want to feed it he best ammo for best accuracy.

okay, the floor is open for discussion!
    Target Sports

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I'd be interested to see where this thread goes.

About a year ago I also wanted to do something like this and never got around to it. Was planning to go with a Tikka T1x MTR and then drop it into a chassis. I liked it because it shares the same design and footprint as it's big brother the Tikka t3x, so they could basically be identical rifles, just rimfire vs centerfire. I didn't however decide if I wanted to do 17 hmr or 22 lr. I wanted to go with 17 hmr because they're typically nicer cleaner looking rounds, also it's something a bit different. Not much variety there though. 22 lr is really the only of the three that has a decent selection to choose from. Right now though 22lr might be nearly impossible to get, and I've definitely seen 17 hmr for sale.

Fwiw, my buddy opted to go with the Ruger Precision Rimfire in 22 wmr with a Vortex diamondback scope and loves the heck out of it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I have had this idea for a project for some years now. I had thought about buying another 22 WMR, but I kind of would rather do something with an older rifle.

I already did something similar with a Savage M93 in 17 HMR some years ago. When I bought the 17HMR, it was a replacement for the 22 WMR I had sold to a friend a few years prior. I did lots of research before buying the 17 HMR.

I had quite a few people tell me I would never be able to get the 22 WMR ever to be as accurate as a 22 LR, but, I just want to see what can be done.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Including the cost of my Savage M93, and the scope, I only have about $850 invested in my 17 HMR project.

I plan on trying to stay under a $1000 on this 22 WMR project, including the scope. I have access to a lathe for machining if needed and a gunsmith friend in Wisconsin that is going to do the chambering if I replace the barrel.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've found that "22WMR match ammo" is a bit of an oxymoron.

22mag is marketed to shooters that want a hard hitting small game rifle for 50-200 yards.

I've had 7 that I remember.
    Three currently.
    All were very consistent 1.5 to 2 MOA all day long which is more than adequate for the intended hunting purpose.
    None, including a buddy's sublime $1,700 Voklquartsen, were 1 MOA.

22mag just isn't intended to be a one hole rifle. For that get a 22LR. If you find a sub-MOA magnum please make us wiser with your discovery.

I think the best bolt 22WMR is the Ruger American for ~ $350. With the optional BX-15 mag it's great.
    It's a bargain. I had one, though I traded it for the same gun in a 17HMR as I needn't have four 22mag rifles.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I've never seen a 22 WMR that would shoot good enough to make a tack driving target rifle. Let alone the ammo selection may be less than desired

I would go with the 17 HMR myself

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I've found that "22WMR match ammo" is a bit of an oxymoron.

22mag is marketed to shooters that want a hard hitting small game rifle for 50-200 yards.

I've had 7 that I remember.
    Three currently.
    All were very consistent 1.5 to 2 MOA all day long which is more than adequate for the intended hunting purpose.
    None, including a buddy's sublime $1,700 Voklquartsen, were 1 MOA.

22mag just isn't intended to be a hole rifle. For that get a 22LR. If you find a sub-MOA magnum please make us wiser with your discovery.

I think the best bolt 22WMR is the Ruger American for ~ $350. With the optional BX-BX-15 mag it's great.
    It's a bargain. I had one, though I traded it for the same gun in a 17HMR as I needn't have four 22mag rifles.

You have a reading comprehension problem don't you? I have no plans on using the rifle for hunting. Not the intended purpose of the project. Key word, project build!

I can see why so many people have you on ignore now!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I've never seen a 22 WMR that would shoot good enough to make a tack driving target rifle. Let alone the ammo selection may be less than desired

I have found more than 30 various brands and types of 22 WMR ammo for sale. This is strictly for fun and just to see what can happen to build an accurate 22 WMR rifle.

Besides, I already did a 17 HMR some years ago. It's boringly accurate!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have found more than 30 various brands and types of 22 WMR ammo for sale. This is strictly for fun and just to see what can happen to build an accurate 22 WMR rifle.

Besides, I already did a 17 HMR some years ago. It's boringly accurate!
    Hey you ask for a discussion!
    You got a discussion.
    All I was doing was participating in it.

It sounds like you just wanted to tell us what you had already made up your mind to do!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hey you ask for a discussion!
    You got a discussion.
    All I was doing was participating in it.

It sounds like you just wanted to tell us what you had already made up your mind to do!
    I understand what you're saying. The only thing I'm pretty firmly decided on is it being a 22 WMR.

I do understand the limitations when comparing to 22 LR. I just want to see what is possible.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    A good barrel with adequate rifling, any of those would work for what you want. Heavy barrel would work better.
    Personally, I have found that even on a cheapo .22lr like the Savage markii, you can cut groups nearly in half by free floating the barrel and bedding the action in the stock. That and good glass.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I understand what you're saying. The only thing I'm pretty firmly decided on is it being a 22 WMR.

I do understand the limitations when comparing to 22 LR. I just want to see what is possible.
    So what are you looking to get from the 22 wmr accuracy wise?

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX

I have a CZ455 heavy bull barrel, laminate thumbhole stock with Barska scope that is the most accurate rimfire I have ever owned... 17HMR. Much more accurate than any of the 22LR or 22WMR I have owned.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    So what are you looking to get from the 22 wmr accuracy wise?

More or less, an experiment to see what can be gained. For the most part, I know that 22 WMR hasn't ever been as accurate as many rifles in 22LR.

One of the areas I want to explore is the chambering. I plan on doing some trigger work on it. More than likely will rebarrel at some point, going to a heavier barrel, and plan on doing some glass bedding as well.. I may even explore some different rifle twists. From what I have read, the twist ratio is different between the 22LR and the 22WMR.

I also plan on doing some accuracy testing with various types of ammo and bullet weights.

Top Bottom