Military Camp

Browning Buck Camper or Ruger Mk IV for plinking?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I liked both had the Ruger in stainless with 10" barrel. Then the Browning Buckmark bull barrel
    Gary Gun04.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I'm a little late to the party but...

1. Out of the box, I think the Buckmark has a better trigger.
    2. The Buckmark's disassembly makes it so you have remove the sights/optics which is not ideal.
    3. The Buckmark's I have owned have been very accurate but also liked to be especially clean to be reliable.
    4. Ruger Mark IV's are super easy to service.
    5. Triggers are Meh.
    6. I run a Mark IV 22/45 Tactical suppressed and it has no issues running dirty.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Ruger. I've had the Mark I, Mark III, and Mark IV. They last forever. The Mark I was purchased around 1980. I put thousands of rounds through it. I finally had to replace the recoil spring assembly. Called Ruger and a very nice lady took my order and sent the part to me 3 days later.

The Browning is pretty. The Ruger is accurate and solid.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Browning has a better out of the box trigger across any newer version of the Ruger. If you were in the market for a mark II or III I bet you could find one that outperforms either. However the ease of disassembly of the mark IV is noteworthy.

I currently have a Smith PC victory, Ruger mkiii hunter and 22/45 as well as a Buckmark contour. The Smith is the lightest and the PC mods give it the best ergos. My 22/45 has a bull barrel and an old school tube style red dot. It's bulky but also a mag dumping delight on the steel. The Buckmark contour is accurate and the weight is present but pleasant.

My 22 pistol journey started with a rohm rg14 and a Jennings j22 around 1990. Everything was an improvement from there but my first Buckmark camper was a great gun as well as my first mark ii. I also had a 22/45 hunter I let go of as well as a pencil barrel mark III. My Beretta neo was a flash in the pan for me that I gave up on within a few months.

You really can't go wrong with either and both will have great mods by tandemcross. I highly recommend their magazine bumpers for either and flat triggers. Their captured spring or gearbox for the Buckmark will drop about a half pound or more of pull weight too. With either model you don't loose much accuracy with the lightweights and have a versatile plinker for shooters of all skill levels.

Top Bottom