Capitol Armory ad

Brought to you by HARP Houston Area Retarded Persons.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I used to love Houston. Basically, I still do. I'm often proud of the city. After all, Houston has survived through many awful things.

But if anything could finally kill that city or, at least, put me off ever considering living in Houston again it would be having that execrable excuse for a woman as mayor for life...which she would be, given the voting base she has in that city.

This would move me to an extended period of bereavement followed by a move to pretty much anywhere else in Texas. :(
    It would be 6 years, unless she could get the term limits changed. I imagine she would try.
    Lynx Defense

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Ok, this thread has really pissed me off! This is totally wrong for you to compare SJL to people who are "retarded" (Down's Syndrome). This is incredibly insulting to those people! NOT ONE OF THEM IS EVER GOING TO BE AS STUPID, MEAN, AND USELESS as SJL. I would happily vote for someone with a low IQ over that horrible woman. She's an insult to the entire human race. I'm willing to bet that not one retarded person in her district was dumb enough to cast a vote for her. (That says a lot about the people who DID vote for her!)

As for the Mayor's office, the problem hasn't been stupidity, it's corruption. I don't think SJL is smart enough to be corrupt - at least not in a very visible job like mayor. In Congress, she can hide among the rest of the swamp critters.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Houston died with demise of the Shamrock Hotel ...
    I can feel that one with you. When a city loses an icon that important, it carves a hole out of the heart.

I was at last sci-fi con they hosted and it closed shortly after. I was crestfallen.

Two side notes:
    • That con was the last time the entire original cast of Star Trek was in the same place at the same time at a convention. You could bring a book or whatever, pay $50, and walk down the line getting all their autographs on the same item.
    • The second day of the con it all fell apart and the Shamrock threw everybody out because the promoter of the con had pocketed all the money and disappeared without paying the hotel or, it turned out, anyone. Most people could get home on their own but some couldn't. There were 14-year-olds who had made the trip as an unaccompanied minor from both coasts and they now had no place to sleep for the night. One of the minor actors from a single episode of Star Trek, a lovely young woman who was barely making it as an actress, literally couldn't fly home because she wasn't paid; the security guards at the Shamrock took up a collection for her and got her a flight home. After it started so well, that con became a serious bad memory for me.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Had at least one foot in Houston since 1953.
    Trying to get that foot out, but the cesspool sucks too bad.

Houston died with demise of the Shamrock Hotel ...
    A friend of mines grandfather lived there for a good period of its heyday. I remember getting real buzzed at its tiki room then going out into the heat & light of rush hour.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    A friend of mines grandfather lived there for a good period of its heyday. I remember getting real buzzed at its tiki room then going out into the heat & light of rush hour.
    Bluebonnet Room - Junior and Senior Proms.
    The many bars, when you were old enough .. or had an ID that said you were.

And, the famous Shamrock pool and diving boards, big enough to waterski in, and where you were guaranteed to rub shoulders on a hot summer day with movie stars.

Houston, the town, before Gulf Freeway, Gulf Gate Mall and urban sprawl.

TNHoosier

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2021
    Monkeytown
    Ok, this thread has really pissed me off! This is totally wrong for you to compare SJL to people who are "retarded" (Down's Syndrome). This is incredibly insulting to those people! NOT ONE OF THEM IS EVER GOING TO BE AS STUPID, MEAN, AND USELESS as SJL. I would happily vote for someone with a low IQ over that horrible woman. She's an insult to the entire human race. I'm willing to bet that not one retarded person in her district was dumb enough to cast a vote for her. (That says a lot about the people who DID vote for her!)

As for the Mayor's office, the problem hasn't been stupidity, it's corruption. I don't think SJL is smart enough to be corrupt - at least not in a very visible job like mayor. In Congress, she can hide among the rest of the swamp critters.
    The party she belongs to will coach her on being corrupt. She is already morally corrupt.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Stupid people will vote her in. Just like stupid people voting in that guy in PA. I guess she will have to give up her long time job in the Congress?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Pulling from the Post Whore thread:

More camera time
    New employees at the Mickey Leland Federal Building where SJL is officed are usually told, quite seriously, that the most dangerous spot in the building is between Sheila Jackson Lee and a news camera. Trying to conduct normal business when she held a press conference inside the building used to be impossible. Her people would virtually hold you prisoner to prevent the ambience of the event from being polluted.

Lucky for me, I haven't witnessed one of her pressers since first floor and entrance to that building were rebuilt and expanded so maybe the new architecture has fixed the problem. I certainly hope so.

usually when someone occupying a seat for that long suddenly runs for a different office (especially going from national office to a statewide or local office) it's because they're no longer guaranteed reelection
    That's nice for the people in her district.

And then, if she succeeds, things will become a whole lot worse for all of Houston, including her former district.

SMDH.

Why can't she just retire, pull her pension, and become a talking head and community symbol, roles that would no longer be a cancer in the political body of the entire country while still stroking her ego enough to satisfy her? If she did that, she'd be much less of an embarrassment.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Can we craft a state law that says to file to run for any elected office, the person running must *actually* reside in the district, precicnt, or county, etc that they seek to represent, and must actually physically stay or reside in such - except for state or federal positions that require the person's presence in DC or Austin, and the person must physically live in the district during the times that the legislature or Congress is not in session? That could end a lot of these shenanigans. No games of "well I rent an apartment here" or "I own a house there" or any of that shit - they gotta actually live where they represent.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    That’s right. Old Helmet Head just threw here hairpiece in the ring. The poor folks in Houston are gonna have a high time with that savage running the joint. I thought it was a free for all down there now - just wait until these morons elect the Queen of Morons. No way can Sly-T withstand the Soros funding that will pour in. One more reason to not just run- but run like hell from Houston.

Top Bottom