• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    So I recently acquired an ATI 1911 for a pretty good deal at ($300) with 100rnds of ammo. The guy said the gun jammed, shot after shot and that there was something wrong with the safety so he just put it in his safe and forgot about it. He said he was new to 1911s and could not figure out how to strip it. (Apparently googling it did not occur to him)...

Upon first look there was plenty of surface rust for a like new pistol. I also noticed that the extractor was broken. The ambidextrous thumb safety just flopped around and the two sides were clearly not connected. I went ahead with the deal knowing that these things can be easily fixed and that there was likely no real problem.

Now I know the gun didn't come with this from new and it has clearly only had a few rounds down the pipe. What baffles me is how someone manages to do this much damage to a gun and is not even the least bit motivated to fix it and learn about it...

I took down the gun and found the safety was broken. The tab that links the two levers together was twisted off. Obviously he had no idea how to take it down properly and started twisting and pulling on things. I cleaned up the rust and at this point it will be a nice little pistol once I get a few thing fixed up. I will probably end up duracoating it.. But we will see.

I've started looking for a replacement thumb safety and it seems like any of the cheaper ambi safety's are sold out! So I must wait and keep looking.

Until then, it will sit like this:
    1F4DE1FE-7F4B-43A2-A073-173C8E95968F.jpg

Here is a pic of the broken safety..

921B4C79-6D91-45AD-898C-6713D9322B04.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Should be able to get it running again for under $100.. Can complain much! I am surprised at how tight the tolerances are In this pistol. No slop at all.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What baffles me is how someone manages to do this much damage to a gun and is not even the least bit motivated to fix it and learn about it...
    Replace "gun" with car, lawn mower, washing machine, etc... It's amazing how neglectful some folks are.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    While replacing the extractor and safety are no big deal you do have to fit them for best results. Ambi safeties all have a weak spot at the joint. Some use a longer sear pin to hold them together or at least help hold them. Worth looking into. You will have to fit it to the sear.

Extractors aren't often drop in either. Wilson's bulletproof is highly recommended others from EGW are good also. The best are made from bar stock. Proper tension on the extractor is important as is beveling the hook.

Good luck.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Replace "gun" with car, lawn mower, washing machine, etc... It's amazing how neglectful some folks are.

You're not lyin... Some of my buddies are that way and they always question why my stuff doesn't look like crap.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    While replacing the extractor and safety are no big deal you do have to fit them for best results. Ambi safeties all have a weak spot at the joint. Some use a longer sear pin to hold them together or at least help hold them. Worth looking into. You will have to fit it to the sear.

Extractors aren't often drop in either. Wilson's bulletproof is highly recommended others from EGW are good also. The best are made from bar stock. Proper tension on the extractor is important as is beveling the hook.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I've hear that most parts do need to be fitted in a 1911 but I have yet to actually do it for myself. Look like I'll be giving it a whirl here soon :)

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    You may be right. I'm not a leftie so it is probably not necessary that I have it ambi. I like cheaper too.. Haha

Top Bottom