• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I asked my Granny how she made her biscuits. She proceeded to grab a bowl containing the leavings from her last batch and clench it under her arm. She then proceeded to throw ingredients into the bowl until she was satisfied with the mixture. She then grabbed a handful of flour and throw it onto the kitchen counter where she rolled out her mixture and grabbed a glass ( came in a detergent box) and started cutting out biscuits. And my dumbass had been wanting a recipe.
    Lynx Defense

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I asked my Granny how she made her biscuits. She proceeded to grab a bowl containing the leavings from her last batch and clench it under her arm. She then proceeded to throw ingredients into the bowl until she was satisfied with the mixture. She then grabbed a handful of flour and throw it onto the kitchen counter where she rolled out her mixture and grabbed a glass ( came in a detergent box) and started cutting out biscuits. And my dumbass had been wanting a recipe.
    I'm sure your Granny like mine, just had done it so many times, for so many years, they just had a feel for when the biscuit dough was just right.

Because I sure don't remember my Granny ever measuring out any ingredients when she made biscuits.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    So I'm guess the bacon grease laden paper towels go in the trash during clean up. Not saving bacon grease for other kitchen endeavors is plain un American.

That's me!

No room in the fridge for such heart attack makings and doesn't it go rancid if you leave it out on the counter or in a cabinet?

I do love me some basted eggs!! Problem is... I have to control my fat intake due to super high triglycerides (genetic defect). My arteries are mostly ok except for in my lower legs (diabetic damage), but the real risk is yet another attack of pancreatitis... those are NOT fun!!! I've been hospitalized and on morphine while deprived of food for up to five days. Several times... i've no wish for a repeat. Now if I would quit buying donuts.

Keto diets don't work for me... last time my triglycerides went over 1200 into the "unreadable" category. Shoulda had ketosis going but diabetics are at risk for ketoacidosis... I've had that too.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    We kept a well stocked pantry until her heart attack and strokes put her in a chair

That old fashioned cooking with bacon grease and lard will do that to a person. But the flavor can't be beat!!

BTW, my granddad on my pop's side was a dairy inspector in Connecticut... this was a long time ago as I am 70. Now, on the east coast many things are done with "gratuities" to officials, contractors, etc. If you want things to go smoothly, you grease the wheels a bit (I once got a $100 tip after doing a home inspection for an easterner... was a bit strange to me). Anyway, Grandpa got a lot of dairy given to him over the years... he drank tons of fresh milk etc. Had his first stroke before age 50... it left his right side paralyzed and he had to learn to walk and to write left handed. His penmanship was awful and he had the shakes. His fatal stroke came in his early 60s.

My wife made the most wonderful bread. I asked her to teach me... same deal... do it til it feels/looks right. I freestyle a lot of cooking of things I have made many times, but I like knowing what base amounts to use for dishes I don't make often.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Diabetes can be rough on arteries and nerves. In severe cases there isn't much that can be done to help in terms of stents or bypass surgery.

Yeah, my grandmother had a triple bypass. She suffered a massive heart attack on Mother's Day of '99 - got out of the hospital in mid June, a week later she's back in for a stroke. Three weeks later she came home and was missing both legs below the knee, couldn't use her right side, and spent 9.5 years in a wheel chair until she died.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    It was more like the two packs a day she smoked, and her uncontrolled diabetes that did that to her.

Maybe, but as a diabetic I can tell you that it is a multi system disease and all the bad habits count against ya. Diabetics most always die of heart disease rather than "complications of diabetes". And that is because they eat for shit diets = why they have uncontrolled diabetes.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Yeah, my grandmother had a triple bypass. She suffered a massive heart attack on Mother's Day of '99 - got out of the hospital in mid June, a week later she's back in for a stroke. Three weeks later she came home and was missing both legs below the knee, couldn't use her right side, and spent 9.5 years in a wheel chair until she died.

Unfortunately, that is the rule rather than the exception.

I'm sorry for your loss!!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    So I'm guess the bacon grease laden paper towels go in the trash during clean up. Not saving bacon grease for other kitchen endeavors is plain un American.
    I keep a coffee can on the stove for bacon grease, just like my grandmother did for many years. Bacon grease just adds so much more flavor to fried foods. Lard and shortening also add more flavor than vegetable oil IMO.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Maybe, but as a diabetic I can tell you that it is a multi system disease and all the bad habits count against ya. Diabetics most always die of heart disease rather than "complications of diabetes". And that is because they eat for shit diets = why they have uncontrolled diabetes.

Congestive heart failure is what did her in, so you're spot on there.

Unfortunately, that is the rule rather than the exception.

I'm sorry for your loss!!

Been 14 years since shes passed. Loved her, despite hating her sometimes, and discovering some of the truely evil shit she & my granddad did - but whats done is done and the past is ancient history.

I learned many things from that old woman - how to cook, some DIY cleaning solutions, how to cuss (funny enough my granddad didn't swear a lot, but my grandma had a mouth like a sailor). We had good times and bad times together.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I keep a coffee can on the stove for bacon grease, just like my grandmother did for many years. Bacon grease just adds so much more flavor to fried foods. Lard and shortening also add more flavor than vegetable oil IMO.
    Vegetable oil isn’t as healthy as people think it is.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I had things to do early in Palestine this morning. My breakfast hit the dogs dish because I ran out of time. Stopped at Huddle House@ the Cefco.

Two things stuck out as I was getting out of my truck. The smell of burning sugar and how few customers were there. I figure they might suck by the posters in the windows.

One waitress overwhelmed, one dirty table and the burning sugar smell really reeked out the place. Nothing standing out on the menu. Orange juice machine broke.

Food came out fast but was nothing to get excited about. Some funky ass hot sauce from the Carolinas.

As more of these open I expect them to be the host of more then a few Waffle House fight club activity

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I love the sugar cured ham at the Cracker Barrel. The Cracker Barrel's Country Boy Breakfast® in particular. Add two eggs to it all over easy. Mix the eggs, gravy and hash browns all together and eat with a bite of the ham. Skip everything else except coffee. I have had people ask me what that was on the menu it looked so good. Now days it is mostly boiled eggs and sausage patties as they are easy to make up in advance and keep on hand. Some weekends I just drive to small towns to try their cafes.

Top Bottom