• ...and so much more!
  • single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Leftovers from ham shank dinner.
    Ham, onions, potatoes, carrots and cabbage all chopped up to make hash. Pan fried/poached eggs on top.
    Woo, woo!
    C0491BC6-1400-45E2-A89F-9F4F2E3E547A.jpeg
    Capitol Armory ad

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Anybody near Coldspring? If so, try out the Paradise Cafe downtown. They have a "Country Eggs Benedict" that is orgasmic! Split a biscuit, sausage patty on each half, egg of you r choice on each half. cover with sausage gravy, Add a side of home fries and the pusher of your choice.

Just writing about it, excuse me while I go have e cigarettes'
    No bacon?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Haven't really found a great breakfast place since we've been here. Still haven't been able to try Goodson's - which a few folks have raved about. There's place in town called Kitty's that seems to be breakfast only, but every time I've suggested it, it seems they're already closed.

Denny's is about the most reliable (not best) since they're 24/7. I took my wife to Waffle House the other night - her first time in a Waffle House. Since it was before midnight, we didn't get shot/stabbed or raped. The food was alright. Again, not the best, but not the worst.

I'd love to find a place that does breakfast right with country potatoes fried crisp, bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, and toast or a stack of pancakes.

The other curiosity - there aren't many 24/7 places we've found, especially 24/7 sit-down eateries. The other night we wound up at Waffle House because the wife nixed Denny's, the lines for Chic-Fil-A and Whataburger were both stupid long (it was 9:30) and the mom & pop places she found either closed at 9 or 10, and there happened to be a Waffle House across the parking lot from the Chic-Fil-A we stopped to check out.

There's a Black Bear Diner over near spring, but that's quite a trek. Black Bear is pretty good food - at least all the ones I ate at on the west coast were. We were shocked as hell to see a Black Bear Diner here - but I guess they must've gotten a huge capital infusion and started seriously expanding, or they opened up their franchise options or something. They used to be known for huge portions of good food, the portion size dwindled quite a bit a few years ago around the same time the tomato shortage nationwide hit. I don't think the two were related, but that's when I noticed the portions shrunk by about 30% on most items. A stack of pancakes went from 3 to 2.

In the PNW there's a chain of old school diners called Shari's that were usually reliable for a decent breakfast. Kind of Denny's like, but with a homier feel. For those who've been to the mid-west, they were VERY much like Perkins restaurants. At least the Perkins' in Kansas and Missouri I've eaten at.

We do breakfast for dinner pretty often, since its an easy meal usually and a nice change up.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Haven't really found a great breakfast place since we've been here. Still haven't been able to try Goodson's - which a few folks have raved about. There's place in town called Kitty's that seems to be breakfast only, but every time I've suggested it, it seems they're already closed.

Denny's is about the most reliable (not best) since they're 24/7. I took my wife to Waffle House the other night - her first time in a Waffle House. Since it was before midnight, we didn't get shot/stabbed or raped. The food was alright. Again, not the best, but not the worst.

I'd love to find a place that does breakfast right with country potatoes fried crisp, bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, and toast or a stack of pancakes.

The other curiosity - there aren't many 24/7 places we've found, especially 24/7 sit-down eateries. The other night we wound up at Waffle House because the wife nixed Denny's, the lines for Chic-Fil-A and Whataburger were both stupid long (it was 9:30) and the mom & pop places she found either closed at 9 or 10, and there happened to be a Waffle House across the parking lot from the Chic-Fil-A we stopped to check out.

There's a Black Bear Diner over near spring, but that's quite a trek. Black Bear is pretty good food - at least all the ones I ate at on the west coast were. We were shocked as hell to see a Black Bear Diner here - but I guess they must've gotten a huge capital infusion and started seriously expanding, or they opened up their franchise options or something. They used to be known for huge portions of good food, the portion size dwindled quite a bit a few years ago around the same time the tomato shortage nationwide hit. I don't think the two were related, but that's when I noticed the portions shrunk by about 30% on most items. A stack of pancakes went from 3 to 2.

In the PNW there's a chain of old school diners called Shari's that were usually reliable for a decent breakfast. Kind of Denny's like, but with a homier feel. For those who've been to the mid-west, they were VERY much like Perkins restaurants. At least the Perkins' in Kansas and Missouri I've eaten at.

We do breakfast for dinner pretty often, since its an easy meal usually and a nice change up.
    Little Mama’s was were we ate a lot when working the renfest, but it closed about when you moved into the area! Before the toll road bipassed Tomball I used to eat many a breakfast at the Nook on Main Street.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Little Mama’s was were we ate a lot when working the renfest, but it closed about when you moved into the area! Before the toll road bipassed Tomball I used to eat many a breakfast at the Nook on Main Street.

My wife and I gave the Nook a try and weren't really impressed. We might give it a second chance at another time, IIRC she had a breakfast sandwhich, I had their breakfast platter with eggs/ham/bacon/hashbrowns. Could've been an off day for them.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The two breakfast items I miss are fried cornmeal mush and fried scrapple. Been at least 40 years since I've had those.

Sure, the cornmeal package has a recipe for mush, but I used to be able to get it pre-made in a loaf. Just slice and fry in butter untill golden brown and crispy on each side.

Same with the scrapple which is a sausage usually in loaf form.

A few slices of those with eggs and I am good for the morning.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My wife and I gave the Nook a try and weren't really impressed. We might give it a second chance at another time, IIRC she had a breakfast sandwhich, I had their breakfast platter with eggs/ham/bacon/hashbrowns. Could've been an off day for them.
    It’s been a very long time since I was in there. I remember pulling in before they opened with people waiting. Back then food & service were both great. IIRC the Nook owner had another Nook on a island in the Caribbean. They were into scuba!

I judge restaurant on vehicles parked there!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It’s been a very long time since I was in there. I remember pulling in before they opened with people waiting. Back then food & service were both great. IIRC the Nook owner had another Nook on a island in the Caribbean. They were into scuba!

I judge restaurant on vehicles parked there!

Little Mexico restaurant in Palestine would be a disappointment based upon that. Friday and Saturday nights, parking lot is packed and people are waiting to get a table there. Has been like that as far back as I can remember. The Italian restaurant next door to them, was their location before they decided to build a bigger restaurant some years ago.

The food isn't awful by any measure, but there are much better Mexican restaurants by my standards for Mexican cuisine. Little Mexico's food reminds me of those El Patio frozen TV dinners! But many people in Palestine just brag about how great the food is. All I can think is these people don't have a clue about Mexican food, or are lacking taste buds.

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    Anyone remember the Pitt Grill restaurants? They were one of the best places to have breakfast, and you could have breakfast any time of the day.

When I still lived at home, my stepmom always made a HUGE breakfast every Saturday and Sunday morning. It was like a breakfast buffet at our house!

There was a Pitt Grill in Baytown that a friend and I would see how long we could stay in booth on a Sunday morning. I would bring a Sunday edition of the Houston Chronicle and after we ate, we would read the paper and drink coffee until the Manager came over to run us off.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    @Sasquatch, I have never eaten breakfast at Goodson's, but they were at the top of my list for chicken fried steak if I was close to one!

Denny's is alright for breakfast. Not the best, but not the worst. Waffle House is one I liked to eat as well. IHOP was another one I liked for breakfast as well.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    @Sasquatch, I have never eaten breakfast at Goodson's, but they were at the top of my list for chicken fried steak if I was close to one!

Denny's is alright for breakfast. Not the best, but not the worst. Waffle House is one I liked to eat as well. IHOP was another one I liked for breakfast as well.

IHOP is always good. If you read the fine print in their menus - their omelettes have a bit of pancake batter mixed in - its I guess how their omelettes are as fluffy as they are.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    IHOP is always good. If you read the fine print in their menus - their omelettes have a bit of pancake batter mixed in - its I guess how their omelettes are as fluffy as they are.

I'm a pancake guy when I hit an IHOP! I do love me some good pancakes, and IHOP has good pancakes. Waffle House, has pretty good pancakes too.

I guess going back many years, I fell in love with those old-style greasy spoon diner breakfast's! Some scrambled eggs, sausages, biscuits with gravy and some hash browns that were cooked on the flat-top. Those types of places your cardiologist warned you to stay away from!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I'm a pancake guy when I hit an IHOP! I do love me some good pancakes, and IHOP has good pancakes. Waffle House, has pretty good pancakes too.

I guess going back many years, I fell in love with those old-style greasy spoon diner breakfast's! Some scrambled eggs, sausages, biscuits with gravy and some hash browns that were cooked on the flat-top. Those types of places your cardiologist warned you to stay away from!

I'll get a stack of pancakes with my omelette, or with their eggs/bacon/ham platter.

There is *one* local eatery that I'll miss from Portland, and its one that we only ate at a couple times because it was in the core of Portland proper, thus not an area we frequented. It was called the Stepping Stone Cafe - actually featured on the show Man Vs. Food because of their "Mancakes" - pancakes the size of a serving platter.

The biscuits & gravy was damn good.

I would get the breakfast platter - 3 eggs, bacon, ham & sausage + the 3-stack of Mancakes. You felt like you were gonna die when you were done with such a meal, but damn it was good.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I fondly remember when i was much younger, getting up real early to hit the sale barns with my father. Most all of them had a cafe inside or right next door to them. I loved eating breakfast at those. Dad would also stop off at the Pitt Grill for coffee on his way to the sale barn. Sometimes we ate breakfast there.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I’ll take waffles over pancakes any day. The cord on our waffle iron got a pinch then shorted out. I have looked for a short replacement cord, but they elide me.so the eagle iron has been upside down for months.

It’s a real shame & sham that everything is considered disposable!

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I fondly remember when i was much younger, getting up real early to hit the sale barns with my father. Most all of them had a cafe inside or right next door to them. I loved eating breakfast at those. Dad would also stop off at the Pitt Grill for coffee on his way to the sale barn. Sometimes we ate breakfast there.
    If you're ever near Groesbeck, there's a restaurant in the sale barn there that's worth the trip. They even do homemade desserts....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If you're ever near Groesbeck, there's a restaurant in the sale barn there that's worth the trip. They even do homemade desserts....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Have yet to make it there, but it’s on the list! What about that Chinese place in Groesbeck? We were there 2 weeks ago (shopping that Brookshires) carry out only, because of COVID!

I notice we seem to be spending more on groceries for sure, because we don’t go out or get any carry home. I figured I’d loose weight, but my Kamado thinks that’s stupid!

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Have yet to make it there, but it’s on the list! What about that Chinese place in Groesbeck? We were there 2 weeks ago (shopping that Brookshires) carry out only, because of COVID!

I notice we seem to be spending more on groceries for sure, because we don’t go out or get any carry home. I figured I’d loose weight, but my Kamado thinks that’s stupid!

I haven't eaten at the Chinese place in years, but it was good when I did. There's another restaurant downtown, Kamden's Cafe, that's also a good choice. Make sure you get their homemade potato chips.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    While living in Houston one of my favorite carry out breakfasts was the Pulled Pork or Brisket Breakfast Taco at Pappas Bar B Que! Along with an order of tamales, lunch could be avoided!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom