• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    With my Nutrition clients..especially for weight loss..I have 2 choices for breakfast

1. Load up on protein
    2. Skip it.

There isn't a 3rd choice (thats good)

Most people don't eat enough protein. A person should eat about .8-1.0grams of protein per lb of bodyweight

When you start your day eating carbs not protein you are missing a chance to get your body the real fuel it needs

Your body doesn't need a sugar donut, bagel , toast, oats or pancakes.
    Your brain may be craving it.. but you don't need it.

Those foods spike glucose and insulin levels starting a cycle for the day and leads to more carb/sugar craving and over eating.

When you choose protein and fats for breakfast you will stay satisfied till noon or beyond

This is a discussion thread so if your interested fire away with questions and comments!
    ARJ Defense ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Sort of on topic. I general have a pre-workout protein shake and eat breakfast (usually bacon and eggs, for real) afterwards.

For the shakes, what are your thoughts on casein (milk protein) vs whey. Both are powder form.
    Good question

Both are dairy based.
    Whey breaks down faster and can be absorbed faster by your body. I would use Whey for before or after working out or throughout the day when you need it.

Casein is a different structure it comes from the profile found in cottage cheese
    That's why it mixes up much thicker .
    It breaks down slower so alot of body builders use Casein protein as a last meal before bedtime to feed their muscles while they sleep helps fight off hunger and midnight cravings

Or just have a Casein protein shake whenever you want a filling meal substitute

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Interested in your thoughts and recommendations on protein supplements (shakes or other options) and Creatine.

I need to do better with my eating too. I skip breakfast then find myself overeating later.
    Good quality protein powder or shakes are a great way to supplement
    Cheap protein can give you gas and digestive issues

Creatine is one of the safest most proven supplements for muscle building
    Conversely..the least expensive Creatine is generally just as good as the expensive stuff.
    Mix your Creatine in a shake, or any liquid beverage.
    The data shows that if you take your Creatine after your workout with some carbs, the uptake will be more effective

Creatine works partly by flooding the muscle fiber with hydration helping it to recover and sustain during heavy training.
    Creatine is found naturally in foods like beef, salmon and pork.

Hope this helps!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    With my Nutrition clients..especially for weight loss..I have 2 choices for breakfast

1. Load up on protein
    2. Skip it.

Most people don't eat enough protein. A person should eat about .8-1.0grams of protein per lb of bodyweight

When you start your day eating carbs not protein you are missing a chance to get your body the real fuel it needs

Those foods spike glucose and insulin levels starting a cycle for the day and leads to more carb/sugar craving and over eating.

When you choose protein and fats for breakfast you will stay satisfied till noon or beyond

This is a discussion thread so if your interested fire away with questions and comments!
    Bacon & Eggs!

Sausage & Eggs!

Omelet!

Have lost 55lbs since Valentine's Day...cutting back on carbs, portion size & ..........exercise. (now? am just FAT!) :roflsmile:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to skip breakfast and do intermittent fasting. I did not like that process. I would be hungry and kill lunch. I also feel better when I give my body some fuel early. So, my new process is 2 hardboiled eggs for breakfast. It's easy and honestly, I easily stay full till lunch for my sandwich.

Not sure if it's a thing or not, but fuel in the morning helps with my anxiety levels.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have a coffee with coconut oil at 6, then eat a fiber cereal around 9. I am also 15lbs heavier now retired. Maybe I should switch it up. Thanks for the info.
    Switch out the carb cereal for some protein..maybe Greek yogurt or something else..but yeah..thats the ticket.
    Bonus points for the MCT coconut oil!

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Protein shake for breakfast with all of my supplements and one shake for dessert. I usually eat two protein bars in a day along with chicken and broccoli. I do a structured work out Mon, Wed and Fri. At work, some days are really easy and some days are almost 12 hrs of physical labor. I try to consume 120 grams of protein per day and I stay around 180 lbs. Should I be taking in more protein?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Protein shake for breakfast with all of my supplements and one shake for dessert. I usually eat two protein bars in a day along with chicken and broccoli. I do a structured work out Mon, Wed and Fri. At work, some days are really easy and some days are almost 12 hrs of physical labor. I try to consume 120 grams of protein per day and I stay around 180 lbs. Should I be taking in more protein?
    I would for sure .since you work out you probably need 1 gram per lb of body weight for recovery.
    Protein is the only micronutrient you eat that your body uses to build muscle and other tissue. The 9 amino acids found in animal protein are deemed "essential' because your body cannot produce them on its own you have to take these in with your food.
    Alot can come from plants but they arent complete

That's why I think that vegans never look healthy!

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I would for sure .since you work out you probably need 1 gram per lb of body weight for recovery.
    Protein is the only micronutrient you eat that your body uses to build muscle and other tissue. The 9 amino acids found in animal protein are deemed "essential' because your body cannot produce them on its own you have to take these in with your food.
    Alot can come from plants but they arent complete

That's why I think that vegans never look healthy!
    Thanks! Is it as simple as just putting an extra scoop of protein in my 2 shakes or do I need to incorporate something else? I’m always on the go so shakes and bars are the easiest option.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Thanks! Is it as simple as just putting an extra scoop of protein in my 2 shakes or do I need to incorporate something else? I’m always on the go so shakes and bars are the easiest option.
    I tell people to supplement only when you can't get protein from whole foods.
    Nothing can beat that.
    Dairy...eggs..lean meats..
    Especially eggs. The protein profile in eggs is uniquely suited to building muscle ..its just incredible and is as close to eating a multivitamin as you can get.

If you can't get enough protein in your food.then supplement as needed

Plus those bars ...some of them are loaded with carbs/sugar..so pick them carefully..they will typically have about 200 calories yet only 20 grams of protein

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I tell people to supplement only when you can't get protein from whole foods.
    Nothing can beat that.
    Dairy...eggs..lean meats..
    Especially eggs. The protein profile in eggs is uniquely suited to building muscle ..its just incredible and is as close to eating a multivitamin as you can get.

If you can't get enough protein in your food.then supplement as needed

Plus those bars ...some of them are loaded with carbs/sugar..so pick them carefully..they will typically have about 200 calories yet only 20 grams of protein
    True about the bars and I’ve noticed if I have 3 throughout the day, I end up with some crazy gas.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston

1. Load up on protein
    2. Skip it.

Ive noticed that when I eat carbs i crave carbs. So that makes total sense.

Lately I've been making a lot of overnight oats-
    1/2c oats
    30g of whey protein
    1/4 fat free Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup 1% milk
    1 Tbsp Chia seeds
    1/4 c pecans
    1 Tbsp cocoa powder

Would you say this amount of carbs is ok?
    It's a big and filling breakfast. I don't get hungry for hours after eating this.

Sometimes I eat s little right when I first wake up.

I've been working out 3-5 days a week for a few months now. Hitting the gym from 4:45-6am. I've found i need a little bit of food before or i get a little weak and shaky. I've been eating a cup of cottage cheese or low-fat Greek yogurt.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon

1. Load up on protein
    2. Skip it.

Would you care to explain your education and background?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Ive noticed that when I eat carbs i crave carbs. So that makes total sense.

Lately I've been making a lot of overnight oats-
    1/2c oats
    30g of whey protein
    1/4 fat free Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup 1% milk
    1 Tbsp Chia seeds
    1/4 c pecans
    1 Tbsp cocoa powder

Would you say this amount of carbs is ok?
    It's a big and filling breakfast. I don't get hungry for hours after eating this.

Sometimes I eat s little right when I first wake up.

I've been working out 3-5 days a week for a few months now. Hitting the gym from 4:45-6am. I've found i need a little bit of food before or i get a little weak and shaky. I've been eating a cup of cottage cheese or low-fat Greek yogurt.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk
    If you are eating those carbs before working out then you are probably using that energy up and your blood sugars are returning to normal pretty fast after eating. As long as you feel good about your body composition then I think that's just fine in your case.

I would say to ditch the fat free yogurt and just go with Greek yogurt with no fruit added if you can. Fat free usually means added sugar
    Next time you're shopping look hard at the food labels of both and see what the total and added sugars are
    Go with the lower sugar content.

Don't worry about the fat. Eat it. It's fine.
    Way better for you than the sugar

Top Bottom