Brass getting stuck in the chamber

Bradmartin78

Jun 28, 2016
Fort Worth
It did very well the first trip out. Had some tight groups. If McGowen won’t replace the barrel I’ll work on the chamber. My buddy is having the same trouble with his 33 Nosler barrel from McGowen. He polished the chamber and it’s a little better, but still has problems ejecting.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
The ring on the primer matches the bolt face. I cleaned the ink off to show it a little better. Otherwise the primer is smooth. I think it’s a rough chamber.
In the first picture it looked like that ring was pressed in, much clearer here. First bolt face I’ve seen with that type of ring ground in to it. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiliamr

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Apr 15, 2011
Austin
Did you or McGowen cut the chamber? You say you used go/no-go gauges so I assume you installed the barrel - It looks like the roughing reamer was the last tool in that hole, or the finish reamer was worn out- dull.

avvidclif

Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010
TGT Supporter
Aug 30, 2017
Van Zandt County
The ring on the primer matches the bolt face. I cleaned the ink off to show it a little better. Otherwise the primer is smooth. I think it’s a rough chamber.
Difference of opinion but anytime a primer flattens to the point the rounded edge is no longer there or almost gone and the primer flows out around the firing pin are both signs of overpressure. I was not looking at the ring caused by the bolt face.

Bradmartin78

Jun 28, 2016
Fort Worth
In the first picture it looked like that ring was pressed in, much clearer here. First bolt face I’ve seen with that type of ring ground in to it. Interesting.

I bought it from a friend who started a build and changed directions. I asked him about it yesterday. He confirmed it was new from Remington. Remington might be the next email going out.

Bradmartin78

Jun 28, 2016
Fort Worth
Did you or McGowen cut the chamber? You say you used go/no-go gauges so I assume you installed the barrel - It looks like the roughing reamer was the last tool in that hole, or the finish reamer was worn out- dull.
It’s a prefit. McGowen did the work and will be sending a shipping label to send it back.

Bradmartin78

Jun 28, 2016
Fort Worth
Difference of opinion but anytime a primer flattens to the point the rounded edge is no longer there or almost gone and the primer flows out around the firing pin are both signs of overpressure. I was not looking at the ring caused by the bolt face.
The picture isn’t great. There isn’t a crater around the firing pin hole and the edge of the primer is rounded. Not trying to argue, sir

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
It’s not a great method anyways. Some primers have very soft cups while others are very hard by comparison. So you can say a load is fine or over pressure by simply swapping primers.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
Also, a somewhat tighter primer pocket vs one that is no so tight (looking at you Hornady shit brass) can cause primers to flatten more easily.

Bradmartin78

Jun 28, 2016
Fort Worth
Also, a somewhat tighter primer pocket vs one that is no so tight (looking at you Hornady shit brass) can cause primers to flatten more easily.

I had a 300 PRC when the only brass was Hornady. Second or third loading and primers would pop.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Latest posts

Forum statistics