• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    There are so many great reviews for this that i just had to buy one. I listen to a lot of podcasts, all over gun forums and read many blogs and the XL7 is always praised.

The shooting range near me has 300 yard targets and i wanted something to hit that and versitile enough to maybe get into hunting hogs or deer. So i chose the .270.

I didn't want to break the bank on optics since i bought a "Budget" rifle so i went with a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff with BDC (very cool by the way). It seems to also have great reviews and i got it new for $125.00 and don't think you can get much better than that.

Anyhow, just wanted to show it off. Got it at the Powder horn for $289.99 because there was a nick in the stock but you can hardly see it. Im going to paint it anyways so who cares.

They mounted the scope for me and sighted it in there in house for free. I'll be going to the range this weekend to see how it does and i'll for sure post pics and range report Im really looking forward to going.

sdpkd1.jpg

33ct7p1.jpg

2jerm.jpg

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I will say that you made a fine choice on both items... I have the same scope on my LR-308 and very happy with it. As well, I bought the Marlin XL7 .270 and so far it has proven to be very accurate rifle.
    I lasered sighted mine in and was 6 or so inches off, after a few adjustments it was dead on. Even went back to the range a few more times and everything stayed true. The worse part about it is, my wife is going to make that "her" rifle and allow me to use it...

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    I might just have to buy a new scope for the rifle I have and let the wife buy a Marlin and a good scope. LOL! What are you going to "Paint" it?

Wish i had a pic to show you but its more of a bamboo vertical type 3 tone paintjob.

almost like using palm leaves or sticks held off the body about 3" and get that ghost vertical line type image.

Probably Earth, a darker tan and MAYBE some very very very light OD green.

probably use Krylon for plastics (forget the name)... probably not gonna paint the action/barrel or scope. Just the stock. A new stock from Marlin is only $60. They have a factory one that looks really nice that i thought of just getting but i'll just paint my own.

JOe

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    well feck

4 walmarts and NO .270 ammo

i was going to try and get tomorrow morning to shoot this thing and its not looking good... going to have to get the anal lube and wear my stretchy pants and go to Bass Pro and see if they have any.

Should have got it in another caliber

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Got some ammo today, picked up 200rds of Remington at Academy.

I think i'll be taking it to the range Sunday... i hope so anyways... im really looking forward to shooting over 200 yards :)

JOe

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Did some final tweaking and took it out to 200 yards... I REALLY wanted 300 but Optics were just not powerful enough. I did some 300 yard shooting for the heck of it and groups were the size of a large dinner plate. 200 yards for me with this scope (Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40) is my max i think.

Got better and better as the day went on and I have never shot through a scope before and 80 rounds later... this is the result.

What do you guys think? 2 shot groups except for the center 3 shot. the upper right i'll admit was probably a fluke because the others seem to be pretty equal.

I can't wait to do it some more later, this longer distance stuff is challenging and really enjoyable :thumbs: Maybe i'll throw this scope on my 10/22 and get something bigger to stretch my .270 out to 300 yards

2a7g7cl.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GURUNANDA9
    Top Bottom