• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I want to buy a bore snake for my 22 LR rifles. I thought I'ld just get on Amazon and grab one. But, no matter which one I look at, there's always someone who gives it a bad rating and goes on and on about how terrible it is.

How complicated can a bore snake be?

Any recommendations?
    ARJ Defense ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah - do NOT use it on a semi-auto rifle of ANY kind. The brush tends to get stuck in the gas port - if it does, you end up having to replace the barrel. We've had to do several for customers.
    I would have never thought of this. I would have assumed that an old-fashioned bore brush and a bore snake would be equally capable of holding onto their bristles. Apparently, I would have been wrong. Good to know.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yeah - do NOT use it on a semi-auto rifle of ANY kind. The brush tends to get stuck in the gas port - if it does, you end up having to replace the barrel. We've had to do several for customers.
    Curious about this. I do not use them on ARs but do use them on my 10/22s and haven’t had any problems. Are you just talking about AR platform rifles?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I do use the OTIS kit to clean my ARs if I think they need a quick clean. Are these a no go on that platform?
    I've been using the Otis cable system for 3 or 4 years to clean my ARs, Mini-14, and 10/22. Works great for me. I used a bore snake exactly one time several years ago on my 10/22. I guess I didn't use enough CLP because that bore snake sure was difficult to pull through the bore. (edited for no OOC):) I decided that wasn't for me.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I use bore snakes all the time for quick range wipedowns.

I think I like the new brand better though, the one that comes in a circular holder.

It is a wire so easier to get through the bore and the case is a pull handle.

The Real Avid brand.

2fc91496233728c4fa54171635f5ea7a.jpg

Attachments

• 2fc91496233728c4fa54171635f5ea7a.jpg
      2fc91496233728c4fa54171635f5ea7a.jpg
      24.5 KB · Views: 502

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I only use them on my shotguns for "between cleanings". Have others but didn't think they did a very good job on rifles. They're just hanging on a cup hook in the closet of my 'office' (spare bedroom).

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Been using bore snakes on at least 20 different semi-autos, from 10/22's, AR's, SKS's and AK's for many years. Never had an issue before. Makes me curious though. Aren't most 22's are blowback?
    Ditto on that. Not as many as you have, but on multiple .22 rifles and AR's for sure. I also use the .30 cal size.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I use bore snakes exclusively on my ARs and 1022s and for an initial cleaning on my M1 followed up with a few patches from the Otis system. I tried one on my shotguns and it didn't clean very well so I stick to the Otis cable with the shotgun adapter.

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Curious about this. I do not use them on ARs but do use them on my 10/22s and haven’t had any problems. Are you just talking about AR platform rifles?

It's MOSTLY on the AR platforms, but anything with a gas port has the potential. We had a guy stick a bore snake in his brand new custom AR w/fluted bull barrel. NOTHING would get that snake out without destroying the barrel.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I do use the OTIS kit to clean my ARs if I think they need a quick clean. Are these a no go on that platform?
    That's more like it.
    Get a patchworm. I hated cleaning my 10/22 until I got one. Super simple and works great! I get the patches from them as well.
    http://patchworm.com/
    About the same thing as the OTIS.
    I use bore snakes all the time for quick range wipedowns.

I think I like the new brand better though, the one that comes in a circular holder.

It is a wire so easier to get through the bore and the case is a pull handle.

The Real Avid brand.

View attachment 193251
    That's the one I had in my cart on Amazon. But, it has some bad reviews mixed in with the good ones.

I think I'm going with the OTIS kit(s).

Even before worrying about the rifles, I wanted something more like that for my revolvers. You can't clean a revolver through the breech with a long stick.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It's MOSTLY on the AR platforms, but anything with a gas port has the potential. We had a guy stick a bore snake in his brand new custom AR w/fluted bull barrel. NOTHING would get that snake out without destroying the barrel.
    That must be user error or an improperly manufactured bore snake.

Top Bottom