• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    To clarify, I have very little rifle experience, spending most of my time with handguns. My definition of "long-range shooting" is anything over 100 yards, and my opportunities for that are few and far between.

When deciding on an optic for a .22lr rifle, what would be the deciding factors in choosing between a red-dot optic or a magnifying scope? Would a RDS be a better choice for sub-100yd shooting? Or, would a 3x-4x scope serve me better?

And, does the type of rifle matter? I currently have an old Romanian bolt-action rifle, but I do want a 10/22 in the future. How much difference does action type make here?

Help me understand these things.....

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Red dot is easily good for over 100 yards depending on target size. If you just want hits , a red dot is quicker, but if your shooting squirrels or for groups, obviously the scope would be a better fit. I would scope your bolt action and put a red dot on the 10/22 when you get it for fast plinking

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    If you don't plan on shooting out past 50 yards a red dot would be fine for plinking. Also keep in mind the brighter the dot the more it will block the target. If I was shooting past that I'd throw a 3-9×40 & leave it. I'm running a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12 on a Ruger precision rimfire & a Ruger 10/22 with Volquartsen barrel. Here lately I've been shooting them @ 200 yards.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Use case needs to drive the optic choice. People laugh when they saw my CZ455 with a 4-24x50 ffp on it. Then watched me shoot 1” bullseyes at 200yds with. And then put 5 shot 1 MOA or less groups at 100. It now has a 3-9x40 on it for benchrest stuff

My 10/22 isn’t built for that and has a Sig Romeo Zero on it and that works well for what plinking.

SimonRL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Planet Earth
    RDS is just fine out to 100 yards. An LPVO would be a good compromise between a RDS and a traditional scope if you can't decide.
    Agree. Look at an LPVO with an etched reticle. I think it’s the best of all worlds. Keep an eye out for something like this. I recently got this set up from Palmetto State on a daily deal for $300

Top Bottom