Join TexasGunTalk

Bolt hard to close

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Lonesome Dove, Jan 22, 2020.

1. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

I went to the spray because the roll on gave me problems. I also think once case lube is opened it has a limited shelf life & becomes problematic.

deemus and Lonesome Dove like this.
  2. Lonesome Dove

Lonesome Dove Active Member TGT Supporter

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    I’ve often wondered of the long term deal. Thanks for your replies.

3. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’ve had similar issues once or twice. It turned out to be an issue with the shell holder. The dies were made to work with a shell holder of the same brand. The shell holder I was using was slightly thicker above the rim causing the die to set slightly longer. Switching the shell holder solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. robertc1024

robertc1024 Moderator Staff Member Moderator TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I like this suggestion!

deemus likes this.
  5. Lonesome Dove

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    Got some spray case lube and I have two shell holders I’ll mic them out and check for differences. Thanks for that Tip!

deemus likes this.
  6. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Had this issue more than once.

7. rotor

rotor Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wichita Falls
    When I made this really flippant comment I really didn't know how hard it would be to get this brass. It seems to be made out of unobtainium and so the purchase of a case gauge would be worthwhile. You probably will have to convert 6mm Lapua to 7mm BR to do this and it seems like a big chore. I would invest in a case gauge if I were going to do this as you need to be able to set your resize die exactly and not waste even one case. The case gauge helps you set the full length resize die to spec as far as datum line, etc. It does not tell you if the case thickness is correct. With a case gauge it shouldn't matter what shell holder you use as long as it's consistent. They don't make an ammo checker for this cartridge as far as I can see. From the prices on gunbroker for a box of this stuff I can see how valuable it might be to have some. I saw one site where they sell one cartridge for $7.50 plus postage. If you can develop the technique to make new 7mm BR (from some other brass) you may have a little new business.

8. Lonesome Dove

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    The owner has a three die set to make brass from one time made thin wall small primer 308 brass. Remington made this brass but like the original it has gone the way of the Bison. Since this stuff is so scarce I’m not going to mess with cutting it down and forming it. I think it will
    Add value to the gun itself. I’ll figure it out sooner or later. You can obtain 6mm BR brass here and there and neck it up. This is a cool gun and cartridge to just let sit and not be used.

9. usedtobelockhart

usedtobelockhart New Member

Jan 21, 2020
    lockharttexas
    You didnt say what bullet you loaded. I had this same problem in an xp-100 that I had rebarreled to 7tcu. Hornady 139 grain bullets seated to the cannelure would not chamber without alot of muscle. Long story short, the gun had a short leade, had to seat the bullets just to where the cannelure wasnt showing. Voila! End of problem.

10. Lonesome Dove

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    LOL that’s the bullets we have. Though I did seat one down until no cannula was exposed. Then I realized the empty resized brass was the problem.