• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Looking to pick up a bolt action hunting rifle. Mainly for deer hunting, looking at 7mm08 or 270. Looking for a few options and would like your reasons, TIA!

I have no experience with the 7mm-08, and only very limited experience with the 270, none of which was hunting so I can't speak to that regard. I can say however that based on my experience with other 308 win based cartridges that you will more than likely find the 7mm-08 a more pleasant gun and more than enough for any deer you might come across.
    Target Sports

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have no experience with the 7mm-08, and only very limited experience with the 270, none of which was hunting so I can't speak to that regard. I can say however that based on my experience with other 308 win based cartridges that you will more than likely find the 7mm-08 a more pleasant gun and more than enough for any deer you might come across.

7mm-08 is one sweet round. Very pleasant to shoot, and probably a better round than the 243 for shooters of smaller stature like youngsters and some women. Also a good cartridge for those sensitive to harder recoiling rounds as well. Can be very accurate, and able to take deer sized game out to at least 350 yards. A very easy cartridge for reloading as well. Lots of bullet selection, (normally!) and works well with a vast variety of powders.

Next month, I'll let you try mine out.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    7mm-08 is one sweet round. Very pleasant to shoot, and probably a better round than the 243 for shooters of smaller stature like youngsters and some women. Also a good cartridge for those sensitive to harder recoiling rounds as well. Can be very accurate, and able to take deer sized game out to at least 350 yards. A very easy cartridge for reloading as well. Lots of bullet selection, (normally!) and works well with a vast variety of powders.

Next month, I'll let you try mine out.

I'm looking forward to that. I've been wanting to get my hands on one for awhile, I just hadn't gotten around to doing it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm looking forward to that. I've been wanting to get my hands on one for awhile, I just hadn't gotten around to doing it.

I bought one of the Marlin XS7 series some years ago before they were discontinued when Remington bought Marlin. It was the second Marlin X7 series I bought. I had wanted one for many years, but they were priced kind of expensive. Saw the Marlin for less than $300 and jumped on it, like a fat kid going after a candy bar!

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    For some unexplained reason I bought a Remington 700 chambered in 300 RUM. The first round down range from a bench pulled a muscle in my butt. No really, then and there I knew that rifle was about to find a new home.
    Do you still have it?

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas

I'll let you shoot mine also - but suppressed! :target:

mvuR0sH.jpg

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Man, You got some neat stuff too!
    And if all your stuff has arrived for your new build, you'll be shooting a brand new custom rifle not long after we put it together.
    I can't wait!

The barrel finally showed up, and I managed to get that scope before it sold out, so the only things left is a set of rings, and the trigger and she'll be ready to go. I plan on getting those ordered in a few days. :D

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom