• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwo4uscgret

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    near the Alamo
    I picked this up Saturday from my local gun dealer; less then a week from order to delivery by Classic Firearms. I took it to the range and shot some 1982 Lake City 7.62 after de-linking 200 rounds of it from its M-60 belted configuration. I just shot it for performance, not precision; it was flawless. Next range trip will be for accuracy. Here's what it looks like; I have a smaller BM59 flash suppressor that makes the trip-compensator look like a small cannon!

BM59_2.jpg

BM59_3.jpg

I also shot my Sig Sauer 716 (7.62, gas piston gun) with a Millett red dot sight on it. Awesome shooting rifle too!

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    Holy crap is that Itailian/Beretta made? I might have to buy a few... didn't think those would ever be imported again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MCTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Holy crap is that Itailian/Beretta made? I might have to buy a few... didn't think those would ever be imported again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I believe these are the James River armory made Bm59's on JRA cast recievers. Some say the recievers are good to go but others say they are time bombs. either way that is a beautiful rifle. Maybe if the Cmp starts selling rack grades I'll get a kit and convert an m1 garand.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I believe these are the James River armory made Bm59's on JRA cast recievers. Some say the recievers are good to go but others say they are time bombs. either way that is a beautiful rifle. Maybe if the Cmp starts selling rack grades I'll get a kit and convert an m1 garand.

JRA, unfortunately, chose not to consult anybody knowledgeable in the BM59 before going into production. I know this because I'm one of the very few in America, and we all know each other. We would have assisted for the sake of getting economic receivers available in the US, the only good option is Shuff's Parkerizing who does superb work but costs $500 to modify your Garand receiver.
    Instead, JRA chose to destroy their hard-earned reputation producing out-of-spec receivers (which they are no longer selling) and rifles that at least run for now.
    JRA James River BM59 Receiver.jpg

That is the instructions that JRA sent out on the bare receivers they sold.
    Item 1 is incorrect, (B)ATF(E) does not view the 8mm pin as making it a machine gun, and never has - a company that previously converted Garand receivers to BM59 started this myth because they couldn't properly machine the receivers and had to held the pin in place as a result.
    Item 2 is correct, although there are other workarounds.
    Item 3 is because the receivers are out of spec.
    Item 4 is because the receivers are out of spec.
    Those of us that have long loved the BM59 were very disappointed in JRA's product.
    With that said, their completed rifles seem to run fine for the most part - there's an op rod issue resultant of the receiver castings they chose to use, but they otherwise seem at least OK. Enjoy it!

Eli

Top Bottom