• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    My oldest has decided he wants to get into long range shooting, over 200 yards. One of the hardest things to find is a decent ballistic calculator for an android phone. I have found a couple, but they are lacking in functionality.
    Strelock and Strelock Pro are not available due to the sanctions on Russia. I think it is really a democrat plot, but that is another conspiracy altogether.
    If anyone knows of one, I would appreciate the heads up.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    That really sucks that Strelock is being blocked,
    I know there are plenty of good ballistic calculators for my Mac, I am sure the same is true for Windows.

As for the Android, Download the Target app and put that smart stupid phone to good use!
    102417_TargetApp_SH_WEB-211006-1633527607360.jpeg :50cal:

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    My oldest has decided he wants to get into long range shooting, over 200 yards. One of the hardest things to find is a decent ballistic calculator for an android phone. I have found a couple, but they are lacking in functionality.
    Strelock and Strelock Pro are not available due to the sanctions on Russia. I think it is really a democrat plot, but that is another conspiracy altogether.
    If anyone knows of one, I would appreciate the heads up.

I like "Shooter" for android.

Not sure if it has all the feature you're looking for, but for the most part has worked well for me, and the auto DA calculation is very useful.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    So far, Shooter is the next best thing I can find next to Strelock Pro for a reasonable price.
    Applied Ballistics is supposed to be good but is $30. And yeah, I know, peanuts compared to the other stuff we buy.
    Ballistic Calculator 2023 seems like it would be good, but I won't rent an app. You have to pay per year to unlock most of it's features.

Been looking through all my gun stuff, and can't find my damn chronograph. Crap. I need it too. And my son is going to. Hope it turns up, I really don't want to have to get another one.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've been using Ballistics AP - but it's only on Apple - can't help you there. I googled android ballistics apps and there are quite a few - I suspect they will all do what he needs. Holler if y'all want to go shooting, I've loved my Magneto Pro, and would be happy to bring it. People complain about it changing barrel harmonics, but I haven't seen much difference with or without it - albeit it's been mostly on thick barreled rifles.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I will. Absolutely. It's been way too long since we were shooting. I can at least get you on the 200 yard line. For a little challenge, we can do rimfires at 200.
    All I am concerned with is the velocity when I am chronographing anyway. I already have the accuracy part, I just need the velocity for the ballistic app.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I ran applied ballistics on mine just as a secondary versus my kestrel that has the same software. It was 100% the same as the kestrel which was expected providing you get the correct inputs.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I ran applied ballistics on mine just as a secondary versus my kestrel that has the same software. It was 100% the same as the kestrel which was expected providing you get the correct inputs.
    In your opinion is it worth 30 bucks?

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    A chrono isn’t exactly a have to have thing imo. Most rifle rounds you can be really close with bc profiles and inside of 600yds you can tweak the velocity to match. After that is when bc can make a difference versus velocity.

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    In your opinion is it worth 30 bucks?
    I am Doc Beech from Applied Ballistics. So if anyone has any questions I check this forum daily and we are here to help. Not sure if any of the other apps are doing that for y'all.

The reason ours is a little bit more expensive has a lot to do with us running a ballistics laboratory. None of the bullets in our library use manufacturer data. Everything is tested and then published from our in house laboratory equipment. So no marketing bumps in performance when using the data in our app.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I am Doc Beech from Applied Ballistics. So if anyone has any questions I check this forum daily and we are here to help. Not sure if any of the other apps are doing that for y'all.

The reason ours is a little bit more expensive has a lot to do with us running a ballistics laboratory. None of the bullets in our library use manufacturer data. Everything is tested and then published from our in house laboratory equipment. So no marketing bumps in performance when using the data in our app.
    I have a couple questions that might help more than me. Please explain, what is the difference in using the G1 vs G2 vs sectional density drag models?
    A lot of apps only have G1. Some have G1 and G2. Not many use sectional density. G1 tends to be more accurate with flat base bullets and G2 with boat tail. Is that correct?

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    I have a couple questions that might help more than me. Please explain, what is the difference in using the G1 vs G2 vs sectional density drag models?
    A lot of apps only have G1. Some have G1 and G2. Not many use sectional density. G1 tends to be more accurate with flat base bullets and G2 with boat tail. Is that correct?

So you actually have a ton of G# models. G1 is for flat base, and G7 is for boat tail. While more complex, we actually don't use either. We provide them, and you can use them if you want, it is just that we don't and recommend you use a CDM instead. I wrote an article on this some time ago you can check out. Here is the PDF: https://appliedballisticsllc.com/wp...-Arms-Improving-on-Ballistic-Coefficients.pdf

Also check this out: https://appliedballisticsllc.com/wp.../Aerodynamic-Drag-Modeling-for-Ballistics.pdf

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    So you actually have a ton of G# models. G1 is for flat base, and G7 is for boat tail. While more complex, we actually don't use either. We provide them, and you can use them if you want, it is just that we don't and recommend you use a CDM instead. I wrote an article on this some time ago you can check out. Here is the PDF: https://appliedballisticsllc.com/wp...-Arms-Improving-on-Ballistic-Coefficients.pdf

Also check this out: https://appliedballisticsllc.com/wp.../Aerodynamic-Drag-Modeling-for-Ballistics.pdf
    Thank you. I need to read those. My oldest boy even more so. My best shooting days are long gone, his are just starting. He is much more "technical" than me. I shot Kentucky Windage for far too many years.

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    Thank you. I need to read those. My oldest boy even more so. My best shooting days are long gone, his are just starting. He is much more "technical" than me. I shot Kentucky Windage for far too many years.

I was friends with Walt Berger up until the day he passed. Was blessed enough to have some adventures with him, but even more blessed to share meals with him. Even in his old age, he had things to share. We are never ever too old. He isn't the only one either, I have a number of friends in the firearms community that well over the age of 70 and 80 that I have somehow managed to help. They have certainly helped me more than I can reciprocate but they somehow managed to learn from me a time a two. Just goes to show. We are never too old.

Top Bottom