• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    I'm looking for good priced birdshot. I was at Bass Pro today and they had 250 12ga target rounds for $92. They were 8 pellet. I also just ordered some buckshot, 8 pellet, online. I thought birdshot had way more, smaller BBs than buckshot? What is the difference between the three?
    Gun Zone Deals

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    unnamed (1).jpg

Oh and the search function works pretty good.

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    # 8 shot is for birds.

Buckshot is for birdbrains.

My reason for asking is pic below - I thought this was birdshot, then saw “target” on the box. I was also surprised to see it was 8 shot, same as my buckshot loads. Is pic below in effect birdshot? How does birdshot differ from target loads?

506EC6F3-A664-4505-95A3-35C4BF570F39.jpeg

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    My reason for asking is pic below - I thought this was birdshot, then saw “target” on the box. I was also surprised to see it was 8 shot, same as my buckshot loads. Is pic below in effect birdshot? How does birdshot differ from target loads?

View attachment 295440

IMO these are mislabeled: They should say #8 shot, meaning the size of shot not the number of pellets. AFAIK, boxes don't list the number of pellets, even for buckshot.

Often in the past, boxes of #8 shot were labeled "Target/Hunting" because they could be used for both. Some were labeled "Trap", often meaning reduced charges but basically the same thing with a higher quality hull for consistency in competitive shotgunning. (the hull is the empty shell casing). These hulls are attractive to keep for reloading/reloaders.

Anything labeled Target is not going to be similar size shot to buckshot, which is strictly for hunting or defense.

Now, let's talk about what size shot is best for home defense....

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    IMO these are mislabeled: They should say #8 shot, meaning the size of shot not the number of pellets. AFAIK, boxes don't list the number of pellets, even for buckshot.

Often in the past, boxes of #8 shot were labeled "Target/Hunting" because they could be used for both. Some were labeled "Trap", often meaning reduced charges but basically the same thing with a higher quality hull for consistency in competitive shotgunning. (the hull is the empty shell casing). These hulls are attractive to keep for reloading/reloaders.

Anything labeled Target is not going to be similar size shot to buckshot, which is strictly for hunting or defense.

Now, let's talk about what size shot is best for home defense....

Quick trip to ammo closet, pulled out a box.
    States 9 pellets.

20211224_111004.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom