• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    I kinda want to put bigger tires on my truck. Its a 2001 F250. Its got stock everything. Right now, the tires are LT245-75-16R sitting on the factory rims. how big can I go on these rims? I would like it to sit a bit higher, without looking plain out stupid.

Also, what would you guys suggest if I were to actually lift it up 4 inches? Ive read that if its not a 4x4, which its not, that it would hurt the truck. I havent uncovered why.

So, opinions please. If anyone has a picture of a similar truck, please post pics.
    Texas SOT

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    You can put a pretty big tire on a 16 inch rim. I have 35 inch tires on my older truck with 15 in. rim(i dont recomend this). but as far as not looking goofy without a lift not sure what the max for a 4x2 is. Super Duty & Heavy Duty - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums check in there, they always have good info.
    I also did a quick search on discount tires website it looks like you may have slightly wider tires but close to the factory tire height. check your door tag for what it should be. you might be able to get a taller tire in there, but without rubbing I am not sure.
    But with your concern about hurting the truck, lifting it and putting on much larger tires adds strain to to the to the suspenstion. since you have an f250 I am not sure how concerned you should be about the rear end and trans as they should be the heavy duty parts.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The rims are not the limiting issue here.

You can go with 285/75/16s on that truck, but since it is not 4x4, they may rub a little when you turn. Minor trimming on the inside corners of the front bumper will fix it. 305s will probably be too wide without major issues to deal with.

Being 2wd, the front suspension has A-arms, and you need to buy a proper lift for it. A kit will include either drop down spindles or new leaf springs and brackets to bring down the back side of the A-arms. A simple leveling kit isn't recommended because it won't keep the tires level. The tops of the tires will be leaning out. Jack up the front end with a floor jack under the frame and you will see what I am talking about.

4x4 Ford trucks '99 and newer have solid front axles so lifting them doesn't change camber and cast with these kits.

The drivetrain on your truck will handle 285s easily with no upgrades needed. They will throw off your speedometer a little, but shouldn't hurt your mileage.

I have 285/75/16s on my Excursion that we can bolt on your truck if you want to test fit them before you buy anything. Let me know.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    You can put a pretty big tire on a 16 inch rim. I have 35 inch tires on my older truck with 15 in. rim(i dont recomend this). but as far as not looking goofy without a lift not sure what the max for a 4x2 is. Super Duty & Heavy Duty - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums check in there, they always have good info.
    I also did a quick search on discount tires website it looks like you may have slightly wider tires but close to the factory tire height. check your door tag for what it should be. you might be able to get a taller tire in there, but without rubbing I am not sure.
    But with your concern about hurting the truck, lifting it and putting on much larger tires adds strain to to the to the suspenstion. since you have an f250 I am not sure how concerned you should be about the rear end and trans as they should be the heavy duty parts.
    Excellent point on the suspension. Its a good used truck, so Im not trying to hurry to end its life. lol. I have been on that site, and a member there also. There is so much info there, its dizzying (sp).

The rims are not the limiting issue here.

You can go with 285/75/16s on that truck, but since it is not 4x4, they may rub a little when you turn. Minor trimming on the inside corners of the front bumper will fix it. 305s will probably be too wide without major issues to deal with.

Being 2wd, the front suspension has A-arms, and you need to buy a proper lift for it. A kit will include either drop down spindles or new leaf springs and brackets to bring down the back side of the A-arms. A simple leveling kit isn't recommended because it won't keep the tires level. The tops of the tires will be leaning out. Jack up the front end with a floor jack under the frame and you will see what I am talking about.

4x4 Ford trucks '99 and newer have solid front axles so lifting them doesn't change camber and cast with these kits.

The drivetrain on your truck will handle 285s easily with no upgrades needed. They will throw off your speedometer a little, but shouldn't hurt your mileage.

I have 285/75/16s on my Excursion that we can bolt on your truck if you want to test fit them before you buy anything. Let me know.
    Wow, thanks for the offer. When im ready to actually go buy the tires, I will let you know, and see if your free. Prob be a few months anway. Right now im just trying to plan ahead.
    I bought this truck in Nov and I was aware it was a work truck. I need to work on the body a little bit. im not sure how to fix a gouge in the doors on passenger side, but hey, I can always try.
    lol. Im hooked on big trucks now. After i pay this off, im thinking of getting a crewcab and newer.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    When you put taller tires on it will change the final gear ratio, meaning it will be higher. You will have higher RPOM's to do the same speed.
    I am guessing you mean higher RPMs? If so, that is wrong. You will end up with lower RPMs. As the tire gets larger, the vehicle moves farther (and therefore faster) per tire revolution. You have to lower engine speed (RPMs) to maintain the desired vehicle speed. It isn't an issue with minor tire size changes, especially with a powerful truck. As the new tire gets larger though, it becomes more of a problem. The engine has to work extra hard to push the bigger tire at a lower engine RPM to maintain vehicle speed.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Changing tires will effect your speedometer and will increase your braking distance. You will also be changing your gear ratio, therefore reducing your gas mileage and making your engine work harder from a dead stop. A minor change in size like 30.5 to 31.5 is not that big a deal but large jumps in tire size throw everything off. Just a few things to think about.

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    Just to clarify what has been said with larger tires your speedometer will read slow IE. it says 50 and you may be going 55-60. how far it is off depends on how much larger the tires are. just something to keep in mind after you get the tires on.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Im sure its not going to put that much of a strain on the motor for me to worry too much about. I am not trying to achieve big foot status. Thats way to expensive. lol. I would like to look at the 285/75/16s though.
    Maybe a lift kit. If I did that i wouldnt look at more than 2.5-4". Again, cost factored in there.

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    Im sure its not going to put that much of a strain on the motor for me to worry too much about. I am not trying to achieve big foot status. Thats way to expensive. lol. I would like to look at the 285/75/16s though.
    Maybe a lift kit. If I did that i wouldnt look at more than 2.5-4". Again, cost factored in there.
    Not the greatest option there is but the cheapest- have you considered a body lift. I am not evan sure they make em for an f250.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    285-75-16 is 7.8% larger than your factory tires. At 60 mph you'll actually be going about 65. If you want to go bigger, but not to 285s, many people are running 265s on those trucks.

Top Bottom