• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cogent Design

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    What if the interviewer is smokin' hot?

Don't appendix carry. haha

To quote George Clooney from Oceans 11..."you want to be likeable, but not memorable"...or something like that.

When I conduct interviews, I look for character over qualifications. Most people have the mental capacity to be taught at least somethings. Not everybody wants to be taught anything. Don't be afraid to laugh or tell a compelling story that really illustrates who you are.

Of course, if you tell a story and don't get hired...not my fault. lol
    Hurley's Gold

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Don't appendix carry. haha

To quote George Clooney from Oceans 11..."you want to be likeable, but not memorable"...or something like that.

When I conduct interviews, I look for character over qualifications. Most people have the mental capacity to be taught at least somethings. Not everybody wants to be taught anything. Don't be afraid to laugh or tell a compelling story that really illustrates who you are.

Of course, if you tell a story and don't get hired...not my fault. lol

I read an article about how people should take risks in interviews more.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I read an article about how people should take risks in interviews more.

I don't know if it's "risks" necessarily.

As a hiring manager I'm looking for the candidate that has some substance. I work in the technical field and 99% of the people I interview are going to say the same things. "I'm a fast learner" or "I pay attention to detail."

Know what? I really am a fast learner, even in my field. I illustrate it with stories though. I like to talk about my experience as a consultant and how that made me pick up skills quickly. How I could contribute to a code base within a week's time and be able to do major changes within a month. When you're in an industry where the average is 6 months to really train someone to a decent level of proficiency those are good stories to tell.

Don't be generic, telling stories work. Talk specifically about your experience in the interview. If it says you know skill [X], tell a story that illustrates you do indeed have skill [X]. My favorite question for software developers isn't a technical test but simply "Tell me about the last application you worked on." If they just string together some buzzwords and talk generically about the technology then I know they aren't really that good. Maybe mediocre at best. If they talk in depth about how they made different parts work, how they got interfaces to work together, talked about specific improvements they made, challenges they faced and how they overcame then and can accurately describe the technology, then we might have something.

That's also why I tell people to be able to talk to their resume. I've had candidates that I swear didn't even know what they had on their resume. I may have to pause and think back on a specific job but I can go into detail on any past experience.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    and send a follow up "thank you for the opportunity" note or email. You may not get this job but it may help you get the next.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Just got out of the interview. 2 part panel style, one hour each. I feel it went great. But now I'm going to e waiting a few weeks for a second interview invitation.

Top Bottom