• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Gonna go spend a week cruising the desert. Hoping to see some wildlife Marfa lights cool cars and some history. Taking a sedan so will be staying in a hotel or two.
    Any tips for the trip?

stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    Rode out to Apline this past March. We stayed in Alpine but didn't go down into Big Bend. Dining in Alpine was limited. There was a good place to eat on the west side of town. Check out the Historic Fort Davis. I found it interesting. We also went out to the McDonnell observatory. I want to go back for a night viewing. Dining choices in Fort Davis were more limited than Alpine.

This is looking across the parade ground from the enlisted barracks to the officers quarters.
    20240301_130307.jpg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Naw! nothing there worth a visit.
    Actually the Tower Of London Armory would be very cool to check out and the various museums
    Natural History Museum
    Imperial War Museum.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    When? Right now you’re gonna burn.
    I'm used to the desert weather
    but going in November.
    I've been through the areas several times but never stopped anywhere.
    Saw a dead bear on I-10 a few years ago yeah I went back to check it knowing it wasn't a hog and sure as shit it was a yearling black bear it kinda intrigued me to get back out there but shit always happens. So I'm going now.

Last edited:

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    You also can go visit the London Bridge in bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.United States. When it was built in the 1830s, it spanned the River Thames in London, England. In 1968 a guy bought it and had the exterior of the bridge transported to Arizona.

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Terlingua is ok - but it's gotten kinda "hippi-ized." Definitely do the Ft. Davis tour. The star parties at McDonald are pretty cool - You'd have to check, but they used to be open Friday nights where you can look through some big telescopes. One of the most interesting things we did out there one time, was taking a jeep tour of old mining sites - we used Far Flung Adventures in Study Butte. It was pretty cool to drive around and get some of the history of the place. It was full-tilt cinnabar mining for a while. Reata restaraunt in Alpine is pretty good.

Top Bottom