• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    While the US Public Health Service is one of the seven Uniformed Services of the United States, like NOAA it NOT a military department or armed service/branch of the military.

The seven services are Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Space Cadets, Coast Guard, NOAA, and USPHS.
    Subtle, but I like it

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    While I will pay for quality in an item up to a point, for me there are limits. I could buy a number of suitcases for far less than $2k, throw them away if they ever break and still come out better than buying a $2k suitcase.

There's a saying that pretty well covers this. "I'm too poor to afford cheap things".

Cheap stuff breaks, and while you may save money upfront by buying it, in the long run you will spend more. Let's use Ben's Mother's purse as an example. It lasted 20 years of use and likely could have lasted many more. It was $1500, so that works out to $75 per year.

The average woman buys two purses per year, and I can promise you that they're spending more than $40 on each one. One survey says they spend as much as $160 on average on a purse. Over 20 years, that works out to 40 purses and $6400.

Suddenly, that $1500 purse doesn't look so outrageously expensive, does it? Even if you half the numbers above, they're more than double the price of that purse.

This doesn't apply to everything for everyone, but for some things, it's absolutely worth paying those kind of prices. It just depends on how much you're going to use it, and how often you would have to replace a cheap version of it.

I don't travel enough to justify spending that much on luggage. Some people do. To them, it's worth it. From my boot thread, I know some of you have paid pretty darn high prices for boots, and some of those boots are probably older than I am.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    There's a saying that pretty well covers this. "I'm too poor to afford cheap things".

Cheap stuff breaks, and while you may save money upfront by buying it, in the long run you will spend more. Let's use Ben's Mother's purse as an example. It lasted 20 years of use and likely could have lasted many more. It was $1500, so that works out to $75 per year.

The average woman buys two purses per year, and I can promise you that they're spending more than $40 on each one. One survey says they spend as much as $160 on average on a purse. Over 20 years, that works out to 40 purses and $6400.

Suddenly, that $1500 purse doesn't look so outrageously expensive, does it? Even if you half the numbers above, they're more than double the price of that purse.

This doesn't apply to everything for everyone, but for some things, it's absolutely worth paying those kind of prices. It just depends on how much you're going to use it, and how often you would have to replace a cheap version of it.

I don't travel enough to justify spending that much on luggage. Some people do. To them, it's worth it. From my boot thread, I know some of you have paid pretty darn high prices for boots, and some of those boots are probably older than I am.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

That's the difference between spending money and investing money. Quality may not be the highest price, but it's rarely the cheapest price....

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Except nice things often work way nicer than the cheap "equivalent"

Spend the right amount and you are operating at a 9-10 vs 5-6 and not having to deal with getting a replacement over and over as well...

Its like comparing a $75 Tasco to a Vortex Razor or Nightforce...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. If you will read my original post, I said that I will pay for quality up to a point.

But I won't pay $2k for a suitcase. It will not work "way nicer than the cheap "equivalent" ".

My $40 American Tourister suitcase lasted for over 40 years. Worked great. I have inexpensive Nocona boots that have lasted for decades (just half soles and heel caps, which any boot - no matter how expensive - will need). And they work just fine.

But I don't buy "Saturday night specials" in guns. I don't buy the cheapest auto parts, but neither do I pay exorbitant prices for certain brands.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm on both sides of the fence on this one. I do enjoy well crafted things made from good materials and style, and you do have to pay a premium to get all of the above.

I also find it very satisfying to get the job done with the absolute cheapest option available.

I guess the middle road is the only boring one.

HPFlashman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2020
    Northwest Florida
    Tham Bwinton ith innothent until pwoven guilty. Just sayin'.
     (zzz)

HPFlashman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2020
    Northwest Florida
    ^ Bill Clinton committed what is technically sodomy in the Oval Office of the White House. The more "common" kind of sodomy used to be grounds for revocation of a security clearance. Hillary Clinton grievously violated the security rules for handling Top Secret and SCI documents that became compromised and nothing came of it. The way the law reads is that no matter whether you violated the security regulations on purpose or by accident, it is a prosecutable felony. Thanks, Bill. Thanks, Hillary.

O wonder!
    How many goodly creatures are there here!
    How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world
    That has such people in't!

The Tempest Act 5, scene 1, 181–184

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR