• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Can you swim or do any type of water workout?
    Were getting an aquatic center this summer here and I'm going to try some stuff there. I can swim but it hurts my back. It doesn't bend any way really but especially backwards. Still I'm gonna try when it opens. Its indoor so it should be all year round.

Pain won't go away, I've had it since I was 13 from a very mild form of a birth defect that started the whole mess that I didnt know I had till the first fusion at 23. I worked thru 7 surgeries but it's a losing battle so its manage the pain and keep the surgeries as far apart as possible. The slightest wrong movement will damage a joint or disc and it just won't heal. There is too much stress on the ones not fused now.

I do what I do to keep my weight down and activity up. For sanity. I can't not do it cause I got up over 350 lbs about 10 years aago. 230 to 235 now.

My youngest daughter had severe scoliosis. It was to the point she was failing to thrive. We Found Scottish Rite hospital here and they fixed her in 5th grade. She is fused from mid c spine to mid L spine. 3 other kids were fine but I hope there is nothing genetic there to pass on.

Sorry, ramblings of an insomniac.
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ....Sorry, ramblings of an insomniac.

No worries, thanks for sharing. Many acquiring centers will have a water exercise class that does not include swimming, specifically for issues such as yours and other degenerative bone diseases.

It might be worth checking out when they open up.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    12.65 miles
    86EB8F4D-99D4-4F05-911B-C884E1FAC65F.jpeg

Attachments

• 86EB8F4D-99D4-4F05-911B-C884E1FAC65F.jpeg
      86EB8F4D-99D4-4F05-911B-C884E1FAC65F.jpeg
      118.2 KB · Views: 509

SlimJim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    US
    I use to be into it when I was 25. Bought a high dollar StumpJumper and we rode Moab. FF 25 years and I bought a Haro Hardtail with 27.5 tires last Friday fro a steal. Went out to a trail I'd never been on and was going easy but they had some wooden ramps to ride on and bypass the trail. I did two without incident but the third one got me. At least a foot drop, go over handlebars, land on my helmet and then back and now have a neck fracture in C7. 2 weeks in a neckbrace and then PT but thankfully no surgery.

Be careful, take it easy. I learned I can't do the crap I use to do when I was young. The only + is with WuFlu, work schedule is way slow but still getting a check so trying to get some rest. Lats, traps, and pecs, are killing me. Thank God for Tramadol.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I use to be into it when I was 25. Bought a high dollar StumpJumper and we rode Moab. FF 25 years and I bought a Haro Hardtail with 27.5 tires last Friday fro a steal. Went out to a trail I'd never been on and was going easy but they had some wooden ramps to ride on and bypass the trail. I did two without incident but the third one got me. At least a foot drop, go over handlebars, land on my helmet and then back and now have a neck fracture in C7. 2 weeks in a neckbrace and then PT but thankfully no surgery.

Be careful, take it easy. I learned I can't do the crap I use to do when I was young. The only + is with WuFlu, work schedule is way slow but still getting a check so trying to get some rest. Lats, traps, and pecs, are killing me. Thank God for Tramadol.
    I got the hybrid mostly so I could jump off onto a grassy shoulder to escape some texting and driving asshats without flattening both tires, lol. I will be doing 99.9% of my riding on paved trails and bike lanes.
    I really do prefer road bikes, but 25 years ago texting was not a thing so road riding was a lot safer

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yesterday did the town lake ( Lady Bird ) trail. Slower pace and lots of traffic. Did 12.87 miles there and broke my bottle holder.
    873EA0BF-B2CE-4271-93CF-CC18A9306B8B.jpeg
    So off to Galaxy Bicycles in San Marcos to see if they could fix the bottle holder. Had a few minutes to kill until they opened so I rode around SM for a few and got almost 3 more miles in.
    1DED810D-F8AF-47C5-BF3F-ABC8D1367FA7.jpeg
    Almost 16 miles yesterday.

Attachments

• 873EA0BF-B2CE-4271-93CF-CC18A9306B8B.jpeg
      873EA0BF-B2CE-4271-93CF-CC18A9306B8B.jpeg
      150.9 KB · Views: 475
    • 1DED810D-F8AF-47C5-BF3F-ABC8D1367FA7.jpeg
      1DED810D-F8AF-47C5-BF3F-ABC8D1367FA7.jpeg
      119 KB · Views: 464

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Today my best time. 9.55 miles in 38 minutes.
    9B2F1E2E-EE7C-4D46-9209-6DE1BB1DC889.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B2F1E2E-EE7C-4D46-9209-6DE1BB1DC889.jpeg
      9B2F1E2E-EE7C-4D46-9209-6DE1BB1DC889.jpeg
      37.4 KB · Views: 487

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You're braver than I am riding city streets. I've dodged too many cars on a bike to want to keep doing it.
    Most of the lake trail is just a paved trail around the lake. The short San Marcos ride was city roads but traffic was light.
    Luckily Austin has lots of paved bike trails

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Yes, I meant the San Marcos ride and your other street adventures. I'd definitely be riding the bike trails in Austin if I lived there.

ldhunter1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Texas

Jeez reads a lot like what happened to me riding some city trails on my specialized Marin 6. They use timbers to line steps. Have balked at this one descent multiple times but decided to press it. Doing fine then I looked left which meant i went left. Bounced the remaining 3 or 4 steps and face planted at the bottom. Helmet vent laying by my face and I could see my now shattered phone and cycle computer laying there as well. Then I heard it say workout paused. Had to crack up. Dusted myself off as i heard hikers approaching and limped home. Used to ride in mountain bike races and do all sorts of climbs and descents. No more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Jeez reads a lot like what happened to me riding some city trails on my specialized Marin 6. They use timbers to line steps. Have balked at this one descent multiple times but decided to press it. Doing fine then I looked left which meant i went left. Bounced the remaining 3 or 4 steps and face planted at the bottom. Helmet vent laying by my face and I could see my now shattered phone and cycle computer laying there as well. Then I heard it say workout paused. Had to crack up. Dusted myself off as i heard hikers approaching and limped home. Used to ride in mountain bike races and do all sorts of climbs and descents. No more.

"Workout paused" !!!!
    My Apple watch asked me a while back if I had fallen...I made a particularly interesting move playing Pickleball but never fell. It then asked if I had fallen but was OK. :)

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Becareful @ altitude. Every year peeps head out to hunt elk & every year someone dies of altitude sickness.
    Great advice. I know it usually hits when in elevations significantly higher than where I am, but for someone that lives at about 500’ above sea level, exercising at 3700’ above sea level is probably causing some mild symptoms. Lotsa water for me, lol.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Great advice. I know it usually hits when in elevations significantly higher than where I am, but for someone that lives at about 500’ above sea level, exercising at 3700’ above sea level is probably causing some mild symptoms. Lotsa water for me, lol.
    Last story I heard was guys stop to camp but camp was full. Higher up is another camp so they get set up & go to sleep. One of them doesn't wake up next morning. All the authorities say it's as regular as the hunters coming.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I catch a little of that when we go to the NC mountain house. Highlands is about 4200 ft and that first uphill walk after getting out of the car can catch your attention!

SlimJim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    US
    Used to ride in mountain bike races and do all sorts of climbs and descents. No more.

Yeah, it was the worst spill I have ever taken and I have crashed bad before. I landed perfectly.........wrong. Still sore a week later but getting better. Surprised I didn't break anything. Spending time in my hot tub and massage chair.

I am gonna bike again but staying on the trail and going to ride like I am 50 not like I am 25. I leave the extra stuff for all the young whipper snappers. My bike sits and mocks me now.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    No worries, thanks for sharing. Many acquiring centers will have a water exercise class that does not include swimming, specifically for issues such as yours and other degenerative bone diseases.

It might be worth checking out when they open up.

My in-laws did that fir many years. Seemed to help.

Two daughters rode with me Sunday. Had to air up my wife’s beach cruiser for one of them. Couple miles on that cruiser is a workout.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom